Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spudde3

Need Kitchen Layout Help

spudde3
10 years ago

All, Here is part of my house plan with the kitchen being our main area of concern. We are a little concerned with the amount of space between the island and both sets of counter tops. Also we are not wanting a fully open living room to kitchen, so we were probably going to have columns and arches as the dividers. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be made better. Also does anyone have a similar layout with any pictures of your kitchen. This forum is awesome and I hope that I can contribute once we go through the building process.

Comments (8)

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

You need to post this on the kitchen forum if your looking for kitchen layout advice. On the build part the you could do a cased/header for visual division too. Is it a bar area with seating? I'd play with furniture arrangement to allow for it if that's the case as your entry will be the tight spot.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

There are a few things. First, think about your living room furniture layout and see if you need to move the island towards the kitchen, to include the stools.

The fridge will need to be a few inches from the wall (so the doors open completely for cleaning) and you want to make sure there's enough room to stand at the sink and open the dishwasher. I'd include a trash under or on the other side of the sink and definitely one on the island.

I like the window over the sink! Also, the microwave might work better closer to the fridge. Maybe under the island or between the fridge and cooktop/range. Definitely post on the kitchen forum...but so far it looks pretty good :)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

Hard to say much about aisleway space without knowing exact dimensions...especially on a hand-drawn diagram. I would want a minimum of 3.5 feet between front of fridge and the island...so you kind of need to know how far out beyond the edge of the counter-top your fridge will stick. Many modern refrigerators extend as much as 12 inches beyond the countertop. Most extend 8 to 12 inches. If you look up fridge dimensions, bear in mind that you need to leave 2 to 4 inches of space behind your fridge for air circulation. So, if you get a 32 inch deep fridge and have 25 inch countertops, the fridge will stick out 9 to 11 inches further than the countertop. If you have a 4ft aisle between island and wall countertop, you'll have a little over 3 feet between fridge and island.

Since ovens aren't usually accessed quite as often as the fridge, the clearances on that end are not quite as critical but I'd still want a good 3 ft aisle way.

If you ask me, DW should be closer to breakfast nook b/c that will probably be the eating area most often used. But I can see why you want the sink where it is (for a view out the window) and that doesn't leave you too much choice about DW location.

You didn't ask so I hope you won't mind me mentioning it... it would bother me that someone sitting in front of your kitchen island will have a straight in view of the toilet in the powder room. I can pretty much promise you that that pocket door will get left standing open most of the time. If it were me, I'd try to move the powder room to get rid of direct views into it from any eating or food prep area.

• spudde3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. I will post this in the kitchen forum as well.

We are thinking about just doing two stools on the end and having nothing in the living room. That is some of the problem because if we move the island closer to the fridge wall, then it leave some awkward space in-between the kitchen and living room. We really didn't want stools on that side. What we have now is completely open with stools on the living room side and were wanting to move away from that with some sort of division between the two. While I know with columns and arches it is still very open, it at least defines the space.

Don't mind you mentioning that at all bevangel. I hadn't thought of that. I will give that a look.

Thanks again.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I'd want my sink and fridge to be accessible to the main eating area without having to walk through/past the stovetop. In your case, that means the sink and the stove need to swap places, at a minimum.

And, yes, the kitchen forum is the place to be with this, but they'll want specifics--how much space are you working with here?

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

Another idea is to lose the island, and use that area for upper and lower cabinets, with a full wall. This would help the space to be less open but still quite accessible.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Kitchens are highly personal, and there's no such thing as "one size fits all". All the comments you get here are simply people's opinion based on their individual preferences.

That said, it looks fine to me. There is a separation between living and kitchen using columns and furred beams to match the living room. The living room ceiling has been carefully thought out. The kitchen aisle spacing appears big enough for two people to exist in the kitchen at the same time. KItchen and back area have clearly been given careful thought.

Placement of plumbing and appliances is certainly workable, but may or may not represent how you prefer a kitchen. I assume you worked with your architect or designer to arrive at this design. Do you like the layout--that's what mattters?

Good luck with your project!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Kirkhall- The fridge and prep sink are accessible to the main eating area. I wouldn't swap the range and main sink, but that's because I wouldn't want to lose the window.

The plan shows the kitchen is just over 11' wide. Even with a big island, there has to be at least five feet between the range and prep sink...plenty of room to walk past to take dishes to the dishwasher.

I also like the oven so close to the end of the island. Perfect for baking cookies! :)