Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fayemarie_gw

slate with granite ?

fayemarie
15 years ago

My home has a very open floor plan and in the center is a very large greatroom.

In one corner is the kitchen which only has base cabinets and looks into the room . I have radiant heat so I am installing slate floors . I would like to use

granite counters as the kitchen has a very big visual impact in the room .

However , I can't picture how the slate will look with the polished granite . I

thought of 2 options - to get honed (unpolished) granite or to put a slate enhancer on the floors so they will have that shiny wet look . Any ideas or advice would be appreciated . Thanks

Comments (9)

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

Slate and granite go together well. It's a common combination. We have granite countertops in our master bath (two separate vanities) with natural slate/quartzite floors. We have even integrated a granite chair rail into our shower room (full slate/quartzite stone). We also have slate in our mudroom with granite countertops. All of my granite is polished and all of my slate is unenhanced.

You should be able to find a million pictures of this combination online or in kitchen/design books.

• BriosaFarm
    15 years ago

We have slate with a dull matte finish (just sealed to enhance the color) on the floors and backsplash with polished granite countertops. Hope these pics will give you an idea how they look together.

• worthy
    15 years ago

Unless you're looking for the ultimate in monochromatic sameness, mixing stone types is fine.

Here's our kitchen.

Counters of Zodiaq engineered quartzite, floors of polished slate, backsplash of tumbled marble.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

When you think about it, almost no one uses the same material on the floors and counters. Slate floor and granite counter is no different than wood floor and granite, or tile floor and corian.

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow your kitchens look great ! Biosafarm - your slate is the same one I am considering . Lots of color in it but the counters match wonderfully . Can I ask
    what the granite is ? It really goes well with the slate . I think I will just take a few samples of the slate to the granite place and try to pick up the colors like
    you did . Thanks again - faye

• bto24
    15 years ago

fayemarie,
    This is a little off topic but do you have any pictures of the look you are going for with base cabinets only? We are building the open floor plan with the kitchen in the corner but I can't picture what it would look like without upper cabinets. Sounds interesting though.

• BriosaFarm
    15 years ago

Faye, our granite does go well with multi-colored slate if you like the colors. It's called Lady's Dream (aka Lady Dream, Ladies Dream, Juparana Angelica are some alternate names I have seen.) One of the things I liked was that it contains both warm and cool tones, so you can take accessories or wall paint either direction....I found I loved both warm khaki/olive wall color or a cool juniper-grayish green with it. And it goes very well with "metal" colors which is good for me as I like old copper, rusted iron, and pewter accessories a lot (or stainless steel appliances.) It's a very "busy" granite with lots of pattern and movement, but somehow even with the "busy" slate floor, the overall effect is soft and restful but still rich (or so I've been told.) Here are a couple of pics of slabs:

b1.jpg" target="_blank">

• fayemarie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bto - I don't have my cabinets in yet or i would send a picture . I designed the
    house myself and had a draftsman draw the print . I am going to try and post a picture of the design so you can see how the layout will be . I've never posted a pic before so hope it works thanks faye

CIMG0079.JPG