Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
black_thumb

Double sided or in wall fireplace?

black-thumb
13 years ago

Hi all

Here is a quick paint shop job of a masterbedroom I designed. The first one has a double sided fire place that can be used for the bed area and sitting. The second photo has fireplace on the wall and the bed area is seperated from the sitting area by a sliding door.

If you were looking at a house to purchase which style would you prefer in the bedroom.

Thanks

Comments (5)

• chisue
    13 years ago

I'm the wrong person to ask. I don't want a fireplace in my bedroom. I don't even want a sitting area there. No TV either. Our MBR is for sleeping.

I do hear that it can be tricky getting a fireplace to 'draw' if it has more than one exposure.

I wouldn't care for either floorplan. A 'walk-around-me' closet? A vanity in the BR, far from the closet? A free-standing shower? (Four walls of glass to clean?)

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

The scale of both drawings looks off to me. The hallways appear to be only about 2 feet wide.

• worthy
    13 years ago

If you're thinking resale, I'd say that's a mighty peculiar setup you're contemplating. And yes, as terriks points out, the scale is way off.

I'd get the vanity out of the sleeping area. And though putting the wc and bidet in a separate room is common, I've never seen them down the hall and around the corner from the sink. A single sink??

Ditch the master "retreat". Double master bedrooms is a trend though. (Beats the leftover bedrooms I've always claimed as mine.)

• jimandanne_mi
    13 years ago

Sorry, I agree with most of what the others have said. This plan really needs a lot of work.

Anne

• black-thumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all

I wasn't trying to get the scale down to actual sizes just basically doing a quick plan to map out what will be where. The area for the bed is actually bigger than what it seems in the plan too.

The vanity area is basically a centered mirrored wall with a counter top and a bench for applying make up doing your hair etc. (I hate having all that in the bathroom) There are also a series of drawers along the wall to organize jewelery (earings, rings, braclets, necklaces and watches) There are full closets for things like nightgowns, house coats and larage shelving for extra blankets, sheets, comforters pillows etc. One side will open into a full length trifold mirror.

The water closet is actually a regular commode and a urinal. I haven't really decided how I want that setup yet but it will have a small sink.

The master retreat is not a regular four walled room but more like a glass sun room or glass patio that will have french doors that lead out into a private master garden. It will have a regular ceiling but the wall will be mostly glass.

The shower has glass on two sides not all the way around. The back is a wall and the front has shelving and a place for a bench. The counter with the sinks will be all mirrored with drawers underneath. Behind the shower will be cabinet space for toothpaste deodorant etc. I am considering attaching the back of the shower right to the back wall and just putting a cabinet on either side of it. Instead of being able to walk completely around the shower.

So which do you think people would prefer more. The fireplace across from the sitting area in the wall or seperating the sleeping area and the sitting area.

Thanks

Sponsored
Quality Construction Creations LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Fairfax County VA