Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Change the lock on our door when contractor is done w/ the job?

Posted by toobie-ornot (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 3:44

We hired a general contractor to build a new addition. After the entrance door was installed with the deadbolt lock, either someone in my family may have allowed the contractor to take a key with him or he may have taken the key. He's had this key for several months. I would have preferred using a lock box on the doorknob. And we're not sure if he made a copy and gave a key to other subcontractors.

The project is way behind schedule now, and we're having issues with that contractor. He doesn't work on the addition every week any more. He shows up out of the blue and lets himself into the addition.

So is it normal for a contractor to have a key to an addition when he isn't working on the site on a regular schedule any more? Should we have the lock changed when he's done with the job?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Change the lock on our door when contractor is done w/ the jo

If it were me, I'd change the locks now and inform the contractor that he/she would need to contact me for access. Especially on an addition.

o

What JDez said.

o

Agree with jeez and pixie.

o

Should be standard operating procedure, but definitely change them and notify the contractor about needing to contact you for access as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here