Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How 2 build house w/ exposed-beam ceiling?

Posted by modern_miss (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 2:42

What is the most cost-effective and efficient way to build a house with an exposed-beam ceiling?

Is it to build the to-be exposed ceiling structure first and then add insulation on the top (exterior) followed by a roof after the insulation is in place? (in essence building from the inside out)

OR would you add a "false" or decorative-only beamed ceiling underneath a standard framed and insulated ceiling?

Both are probably possible. I'm curious about the pros and cons associated with each. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How 2 build house w/ exposed-beam ceiling?

All kinds of possibilities. But,"cost-effective and efficient" leaves out other considerations, perhaps subjective, about living in a home.
You may also mean "rafters" instead of "beams".
IMHO, fake detracts from a home's "quality".
To achieve what I think you mean, a timber framed rafter structure w/ collar ties or structural ridge and SIPs on top would be simplest.

o
RE: How 2 build house w/ exposed-beam ceiling?

Do you want to build a timber frame home? Those have to be built frame/beams first.

My parents have a lakehouse with large wood beams that were installed after the sheetrock. The installers had to drill large holes through the beams and attach them to the structure. They plugged the holes. They look nice also.

My personal taste is to stay away from faux beams (and rocks). Not having priced our beams any other way, I don't know how cost compare. I do know a true timber frame home is not inexpensive.

We have beams that are structural. They were installed during construction prior to the roof, sheet rock, etc being installed.

During:

The kitchen beams were installed the same way:

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here