Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
notekz

Buying Reclaimed Brick Online

notekz
10 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy used brick on-line, or would share their experience? The local brickyard has a few varieties of used brick around the same price as some of the historic-appearing new brick, but there is a much bigger selection of used brick from the online sellers. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

wouldn't shipping costs outweigh any savings?

• notekz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

IâÂÂm considering buying online because of the bigger selection of used brick, not the cost savings. I havenâÂÂt gotten any quotes yet, so I donâÂÂt know how online prices with shipping will compare to buying through the local brickyard.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

They ship via freight usually on railroad car.

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

Are you wanting it for flooring or pavers for a driveway? We are putting brick down in our mud room. I am buying it online. I'm getting my brick from this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: brick-floor-tile

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

@neroselover -- that brick flooring is beautiful! I bookmarked the page :)

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

i am wondering this as well. i found some on Craigslist for 50 cents a brick. they are local, but we would still need to transport them to the property. i can't decide if it's worth the hassle or not. we only need them for the front of our driveway (a 6 foot area that meets the street) and for our sidewalk, steps, and little front entrance that is 8x10.

these would all be pavers. can someone explain to me why regular old brick can't be used for floors/sidewalks. i thought that you just turned them over for floors??

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

Regular bricks are too thick to use for floors, unless you cut them down.

• cvazqu
    10 years ago

We are using old brick on our porches, but a different batch than what was used on our house. The house bricks were a little too rough and worn to make good floor bricks to walk on with bare feet.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Regular brick is meant for cladding vertical surfaces. It's much too soft to wear well in horizontal applications with traffic. Unless you like the "worn in" path look in your home. Paver brick is much denser and fired at higher temperatures. Or, it's cement based and cast rather than clay based and fired.

Antique brick bought from a distance is only a bargain if you possess the heavy equipment necessary to transport it to your location. Such as an 18 wheeler with a large flat bed and a forklift. Shipping costs alone can be more than the brick itself. Especially with the fuel surcharges of the last few months.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

thanks hollysprings for answering all of our questions!!

• robawg
    8 years ago

I found that the thin brick has a few benefits over full sized bricks, but it also depends on the job. For certain jobs you must use full sized brick pavers so that it will hold up against higher weight capacity's such as flooring etc. The benefits though for brick veneer is that you are able to save space on your wall and that it will look flush for say any bars, kitchens, restaurants. You may want to use full sized bricks for you fire place if you need it to stick out more. The other benefit of thin bricks is that when you order so a few hundred brick tiles, the shipping cost is much lower because it is a lower volume and lower weight. Its also cheaper to install because its easier to handle for any brick mason.

I looked around the web for a few different styles and i received samples from a few different companies. Some are orange or black looking, but i found a style that has a very warm and authentic look and feel from www.berkshirebrick.com Its hard to imagine what the job will look like when its complete, but i have to say the old bricks look much better than the perfect bricks. The natural imperfections is what gives it such a unique look. A lot of times the perfect bricks have a sterile look and its just plain boring in my opinion. Good luck on your projects!

• Stacey Altayebi
    8 years ago

Be careful with reclaim brick as it comes without any warranty. Reclaim brick generally comes from 100 year+ old homes where they often layered the brick 2-3 layers thick, there are interior and exterior bricks and you have to be careful that your source purchased from someone that knew the difference

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living