Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finish product for wood ceiling beams?

Posted by michoumonster (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 1:18

Hi all,
I have seen some spectacular wood beams on this forum. I was wondering if you can share some advice on what products to use to finish wood ceiling beams? Our GC has stained our beams using an oil based stain (ours are not solid, but wood wrapped beams). Now he wants to know what we want to use as the clear coat on top. Any recommendations?
We would love something that will be no maintenance since it is way up high. Also, something in more of a satin/matte finish.
thanks for any recommendations!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finish product for wood ceiling beams?

Not sure how well you can see ours, but we did reclaimed wood beams. We haven't put anything on them yet, but if we do, we are just using Tung Oil. Waterlox satin finish may be a great option for you as well. But, I'd test on a sample first if you can.

o

Andi_k, thanks for the suggestions. I have heard good things about waterlox. I will look for it. I was thinking of using it for my wood countertops anyway though I might have to order online as it seems like only specialty stores in my area carry it, accordign to the waterlox website..
Your beams are gorgeous! They go really well with your fireplace stones too. thank you!

o

Yeah, we only found waterlox in one place near us - Woodcraft. We used it on our floors - 2 coats regular finish and final coat was Satin (so it's a matte finish)...it looks fantastic! Several people here have used it on their wood countertops as well and had great results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here