Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdc08

Frank Betz Candler Park progress

mdc08
15 years ago

Here are some pictures of our build. We began on July 18th laying out foundation. In a month, here is where we are. Love to hear from any Betz builders out there. Enjoy!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?Upost_signin=&UV=149730025911_66327349615&collid=43859349615

Comments (92)

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

Re: glockfan- I think that depends on what you are planning to do yourself and where you live. We where our own general contractor and my husband has done a ton of the work himself. So we saved there and we live in Oklahoma which is a little cheaper. I guess the answer to the question is yes it is possible.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sallen- Got my window from a local home building supply company. I will ask him the brand for you so you can google it if you'd like.

glock- I believe you can depending on your area and your sweat equity :) We worked hard locating and bidding out all of our jobs. We also did what work we could ourselves (insulation, setting light recessed cans and boxes...etc.) We decided to have our floors stained 1) beauty 2) ease 3) it was cheaper 4) quicker to get done. I gave a little here to get a little there, but I HOPE when it is all said and done... we can brag about how much we have saved. Good luck! This is a lovely house plan so if you decide to build it, let me know because we made some changes to it, and even have more we would have done after framing.

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

glockfan- As mdc08 stated we also made some changes to the plan. We have finished brick and drywall and are getting ready to paint. If you have any questions I would be glad to help. I know mdc08 has some great ideas and changes. I am still jealous of her porch!

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have walls and ceiling!! taping and mudding will be started tomorrow and finished by Friday! :) So excited....just had to share!

keeping room

Master bedroom

from loft looking down into great room

bonus room

foyer

• rrmuphy88
    15 years ago

mdc08- What material are you using for the front dormers? We are in design mode and looking for some ideas. I like the way your brick looks and really like the front door. Thanks for all the pics you have posted.

• glockfan
    15 years ago

Looking good!

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

I have finally got all my pics on the computer and decided to post a couple!

mdc08- I love your front door. That is beautiful!

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Oh, I am bright gree - with envy!! Looks so good with walls can't wait for those!

I didn't realize we've got the same front door!!

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

murph- we are using vinyl siding and white trim. Thank you for such a positive response to my post! I am so proud of the way things have turned out. We are going for a very tradition look. Now I have to pick out paint colors!!!! ugh! What house plan are your building?

moody- your brick detail is superb! I love the stone and brick. We may build this house again one day and your pics are def. going in my file!!! Finalized your paint colors? I have selected SW Blonde for the GR, Foyer, Hall and maybe Master. I want a light sage green... i think in kitchen area and a brown in study with high wainscoting, not sure about dining, but thinking of a maroonish?? I also love this color by SW Willow Tree.... What have you decided?

Jnjmom- Great minds think alike! HA I posted on your site :) Keep updating us often! I will post pics this weekend of the front and back etc. now that the brick is finished.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have bricks! :) Hope I am not driving everyone crazy with the postings, but I just love seeing others progress.

Side- garage

Back with porch addition! So glad I did that!!!

front facing garage

front with door/entry

• landcmom
    15 years ago

I love your house. The roof line, the front entry, the all brick, very traditional. You guys are doing a great job. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

• rrmuphy88
    15 years ago

mdc08-We are building the candler park. We hope to start early winter. We are looking for a similiar look on the exterior. I noticed the keeping room the ceiling appeared to be flat. Was that for looks or function? Did you delete the columns on the kitchen island? That is something we looked at doing. Great to see your house coming along. It looks great.

murph

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

mdc08- Looking really good. It will look so sharp with the white vinyl. I think your front door is great!. So how is the inside?? I think you all are going to finish before we are!

rrmurphy88- We are building Candler Park also. It is a great plan and I am sure you will love it. We really do and I know mdc08 does also!

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mmurphy88- Please feel free to email me and I will be glad to chat about all the changes I made. Several of the ideas came from mmoodyrn. She has great ideas ones! I love her brickwork and the pantry relocation!
    We wish we had run the electrical underground for the island. The one major change I will make is the columns. My mother says it will add character..haha.. in other words, just love with it. haha You are more than welcome to email me robynbuxton@bellsouth.net and we can exchange ideas and pics. :) All us Candler Park's need our own webpage! haha AS for the keeping room ceiling being flat, we wanted a walk-in attic. You could also have created a 5th bedroom in there if you finished it off.

landcmom: thank you for the kind words! Are you building?

Mmoodyrn: How is it going on your candler? Painting yet? Picked out counter tops and floors?

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have primed and painted ceiling....now we have paint in great room and dining room. What ya think of these colors. We will be painting all weekend and next week, so I will post more pics. How is everyone's builds coming?

Great room Benjamine Moore: Cork

Dining Room" BM Georgian Brick

We are planning to paint BM: Misted Green in Master (what ya think... will it work in here?)

Other colors we picked are:
    Bonus room and son's bed and bath: BM Richmond Gold
    Front Bedroom-upstairs: BM lightened shade of Dry Sage
    Kitchen/Keeping/Breakfast: BM Dry Sage
    Study?????? Help with this?

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

MDC-08 I love the Georgian Brick . That is really a beautiful color!

• rrmuphy88
    15 years ago

mdc08- House is looking good, I like the colors

We are getting ideas/prices from the truss manafactures to span the basment and change a few other things. I hope our ideas will work. I plan to pull a permit First week in January.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the BM Misted Green in the bedroom and the BM Dry Sage in the kitchen area:

This is the tile for master bath with the Misted Green:

Another view of BM Georgian Brick:

Hope I am not posting too many pictures! Sorry.... I am just so excited to see COLOR! :)

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

No such thing as too many pictures IMO!!

Is that misted green as blue as it looks in the pic? Pretty color!

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is the best color I have picked! It is gray-green and with undertones of blues. Depends on light and angles....

Here are some more pics:
    Foyer:

Great room- opened french doors so you can see the view:

Son's paint job...haha His bedroom

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/2q15rih.jpg[/IMG]

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

We finally have some paint. We can also see the front of our house for the first time without the mobile mansion in front of it!

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we are exhausted, but the end is near! DIY building has been stressful, fullfilling, and overwhelming at times. We are have finished painting as of today (inside) haha! Cabinet bases are in. Trim around windows is done, but not caulked or painted. Tile in finished somewhat except edges and grout. Tile guy is finishing Mon. Tues. Electrical is coming Mon. (I hope) Rest of the cabinets are coming Wed. Interior doors are being hung Tues. Tin roof put on ( fingers crossed) WEd. Plumbing fixtures next week. ( I so want a working toliet...inside)

We are down to the wire. No Christmas decorations this year, but next year..... watch out! HO HO HO

Here are some updates of rooms and colors:

Front: with the ladder sitting patiently waiting for tin to be put on...haha!

Kitchen base cabinets:

Loft- looking up from great room:

Jack-Jill Bath- cabinets

Media Room

Master bedroom

Master bath base cabinets

Stained floor: BUT NOT FINSIHED- needs 2 more coats and finish coat.

Downstairs guest bath- with tile (not grouted...)

Chocolate brown- study

great room looking into kitchen

Painted foyer- lighting being hung Monday!!! (BTY- door still has mud from drywall.. no time to clean it yet. and stain on windows...)

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have LIGHTS! :) They are staining the floors this week and next week we have so much going on!
    plumbing fixtures
    rest of cabinets
    appliances
    phone and gas and water to house
    security system and sound system on
    HVAC!
    stairs
    interior doors and trim
    baseboards
    starting driveway (pour the next week)
    WOW! Let's move in! :)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It's looking beautiful and you're almost there!!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I just love love love, the style of your house, if our lot was wide enough I would be building like your home. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures, thanks for posting all these pictures.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses: Thanks for the sweet comment! :)

lacombe: Thanks! We are so ready to get in. Are you building soon? Have you already? If so, love to see your pictures too!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

hi mdc08, no we won't be building soon, we built in 1999, it's a two story, my Mom also lives with us too, we had this house built,where my Mom could have her own suite on the main floor,so she doesn't have to climb the stairs much, what I would like for us in the future,is a house like yours all on one level, I know stairs are good for you but I'm getting tired of running up and down stairs all day.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have cabinets and countertops and carpet...oh my! But no driveway........blasted rain!

Upstairs guest bath:

Jack-Jill bath:

guest bed with vaulted ceiling

foyer light fixture- missing 2 lights...

We are praying hard for sunny days so we can pour driveway and move in! Applicances coming tomorrow and stairs. :)

• crescent50
    15 years ago

mdc08-
    Your home looks great. Do you mind sharing the paint color in the kitchen?
    Also, I love the window in the guest room.
    We are just starting our build and I am about to pick windows. I want to do transoms too. What type of window do you have?

Thanks for any help.

GL as you add the finishing touches. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

oops- just saw that the kitchen is dry sage.
    We picked georgian brick for our dining room too. I love all of your color choices. The bedroom/bathroom blue looks very soothing - perfect!

The foyer color is great - what is it?

Our foundation is in- I can't wait till I have some pictures to share. Until then, I'll lurk and get lots of inspiration:)!

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

I love your house! I am anxious to see more pics of finished results.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

crescent- The foyer color is BM Cork. It is the same in great room. The BM store guys told me that it would take about 10 to 14 days to get to the color it would be....at first it was very yellowish...but as time passed...it warmed and is a lovely golden color. I have Laura Ashley Gold 4 in the house we are leaving and it is very similar to that.

The master bath/bedroom is one of my favorite colors as well. It is misted green and really does not look as blue as the pictures show. It is has a hint of blue, but with green and grey. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Fancypants: I can't wait either....haha :)

We need a good week of sunshine to dry out so we can pour the driveway. Oh well, just more time to put on those finishing touches..

• mgabriel
    15 years ago

What is the height of the ceiling on the low end of the greatroom (where the fireplace is located)?

Thanks,

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

We are also building the Candler Park and the low area of the ceiling in the great room is 9 feet. The high area is 18 feet.

• harbint
    15 years ago

We're about to begin construction on the Candler park just south of Atlanta. I'll keep posting of the progress

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

harbint: Keep us up to date and post pics often! Need any tips? Many of us are building this home so send email address and we will help ya out! Good luck!!!

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

harbint: We were quoted for 62 squares, but we added the tin roof to the front porch so those were not used..... think that is correct.

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the latest! Still waiting on the driveway... ugh.

We have been waiting for so long to see our stained concrete. Here are some pics! Enjoy :)
    Keeping room off kitchen:

great room:

study:

master bdroom

Foyer:

Kitchen with appliances

Mantle

dining room

• rrmuphy88
    15 years ago

mdc08-House looks wonderful. The floors are great!! What size is your front door? h x w We are looking at a arched top door also. Thanks for your help. We pulled our permit. We are about 2 weeks from starting. I am sure I will have more questions when we start thanks

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

murph: Front door was 5 x 8. Thanks! Let me know how it is going with you! Post those pics!!! :)

• mmoodyrn
    15 years ago

It is almost a house!
    Stairs Not quite complete but close

Hardwood in the living room. The fireplace is not done yet.

My toddler's sparkly pink bathroom floor. The pics really don't show how pretty it is. The next pic is her shower surround.

Downstairs Bath Vanity

Kitchen without crown molding or final details. It will also have a backsplash sometime soon hopefully!

More unfinished kitchen

Kitchen Island/Bar

Dining Room

I am so excited that it is almost a complete house!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

ohmygosh... you started two months after we did and you're almost ready to move in while we're still awaiting sheetrock. I AM SO ENVIOUS! Your home is going to be absolutely gorgeous. I love the colors you've selected for the various rooms and that back porch with the lake view sounds so enticing. Congratulations on all you've accomplished and keep the pictures coming.

• cgj123
    15 years ago

Hi Great pictures! Does anyone know of Candler Park being built in or around the Chattanooga, TN area. I sure would love to walk through one.
    Thanks!
    Christy
    Christygj@comcast.net

• mdc08
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Moody: WOW! You are there!!! Looks so lovely! Post more pictures soon! Love to see your master bedroom and other baths and bonus room too!!! Congrats!

bevangel: What house plan are your building? We are just waiting on a driveway, but the blasted rain has kept on coming :( Post pictures of your home, I'd love to see it!

ggj123: Look on this website for homes for sale: Many are very similar to Candler Park and most look like Frank Betz plans. THis is in the Greenville SC area, if it is not too far away, you can go see many homes and get great ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Homes in Greenville, SC

• harbint
    15 years ago

Did everyone finish their Candler Park? Would love to see some more pictures of completed houses.

• harbint
    14 years ago

I've just started excavation this week. I hope to have the Candler Park finished by Thanksgiving. Does anyone else have any pic of their finished houses?

• oaksie1
    13 years ago

I've just come across your pictures. I hope you get this message. I have been looking for the exact same light that you have in your foyer. Can you let me know what it is and where you purchased it?

• cathygramz
    8 years ago

I would love to see pictures of candler park

• Sylvia
    4 years ago

Me too! How do you guys like living in your home. Is there anything you would change about the plan?

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

chances of getting a response slim - this was in 2008-2009