Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CurvyGirl (and others), elevator door question

Posted by juniork (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 0:07

I saw that you mentioned an elevator in your build, so I wanted to ask you about the door.
I know it's got to be self closing, but what are you doing for doorknobs? Have they told you whether you just need a dummy knob on the outside, or do you actually need doorknobs on both sides, like the non-locking 'closet door' passage type knobs?
My builder hasn't answered that question yet, and I want to order my doorknobs, since it'll take a week or two. Also, since I'm ordering online, I wanted to do it all together, and not have to return it, and pay shipping. From what I can see, when getting out of the elevator, most people just open the elevator door, and push on the exterior door, and it opens. Noone actually turns a knob, right? TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CurvyGirl (and others), elevator door question

The hoistway door hardware is normally a standard lever or knob latch set. The door is prevented from opening when the cab is not at the landing by an electromechanical interlock device on the upper corner of the door. I suspect the closer would be required if the shaft was required to be fire rated by your state (and the hardware would have to be UL rated) but I haven't seen that before. So, if in doubt you should ask the local building official.

o

I'll second Renovator8's suggestion to check with your building dept. since every city/county in our state has its own set of exceptions to building codes.

In our home, the elevator has standard wood doors with functional door levers on each floor but they do not have the self-closer you asked about. The doors have a locking device like Renovator8 mentioned. Both the wood door and the metal accordian-style grate must be closed before the elevator will operate. The latch in the upper corner will not ordinarily release unless the elevator cab is in its proper position.

There's a little hole drilled in the wood door through which you could insert a something (flat screwdriver, for example) to release the latch from the outside in case of emergency or for repair work. On the inside there's a spring-pin to release the latch as well.

o

Thanks, renovator and rockmanor! So i'll push the builder again to ask the elevator guys...guess i'll hold off on buying those door levers. Sounds like passage lever will probably be needed over a dummy lever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here