Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Just Had My Vinyl Windows Painted

Posted by Houseful (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 05 at 23:47

They look beautiful.

Quick background - Seven years ago, we had our cheap aluminum single pain windows replaced with white vinyl windows. Have to admit at the time I wasn't "into" remodeling the way I am now and just went with the salesman's recommendation, although we do love the windows. Since we added on to our house now, we went with the same windows. I notice one day that they looked like they were discoloring, but I thought it was my imagination since they weren't supposed to do that. I guess it happens every once in awhile although our 7 years old windows look fine.

So I am thinking all the windows have to be ripped out and what a mess it would be... Well, they have a process now that coats the windows with some sort of epoxy-like paint. It doesn't fade and doesn't get chalky like the vinyl can - almond and brown are really bad for this.

I was very skeptical, but figured I have nothing to lose. They agreed to do the old windows too just to make sure they all looked the same. They turned out great and I couldn't be more pleased.

They apparently have a ton of colors and I am sure it's not cheap, but for those of you who have asked in the past about painting vinyl windows, it is available and probably cheaper than replacing them.

If anyone is interested, I can forward the information on to you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Just Had My Vinyl Windows Painted

Me! me! I'm happy this worked for you. We will be putting in Milgard vinyls and I'm not that thrilled with their color choices. So you are saying we could paint them to our own color choice?

o

Yes you can. I will email you the info. I am wondering why you didn't choose another window though. I guessing you didn't have time to really shop around? What color do you have?

o

We had northerm windows put in our house. We have white vinyl on the inside and dk brown on the outside. They just started to doing two different color option (outside and inside) there are many choices too. Our garden window had to be ordered from a different company and was painted since it was white, so far it is looking pretty good. Our GC said we would probably have to do touch ups on it in the future. If so I will check out the epoxy paint!

o

We will be using chocolate brown as an accent color for our exterior mediterranian home so I would like the windows to match. I've seen this on other homes here in AZ and elsewhere and really like it.

Houseful -- I received the info (email) that you sent. Thank you! Was this expensive? Did they charge you per window or some other way?

o

I didn't have to pay for this because they were only 8 months old when they started to yellow. So I don't really know the cost. If you have the beige or brown vinyl, they may fade quickly and still be under warranty. See what your paper work says about that.

o

Can you post the information about painting the vinyl windows?

Thank you.

o

Since this company doesn't have a website I don't know if I can post the address and phone number. I will email it to you if that's okay.

o

Houseful, could I please have the information as well?
Thanks! Kate.

o

I just emailed you both.

o

Me too. While you are at it, what vinyl windows did you go with?

Brian

o

Brian, I sent you an email.

o

Apparently Milgard windows are the standard around Arizona. Everyone here has them. I've seen only one subdivision here that is using Pella and this is a $700K plus subdivision. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between aluminum windows and the vinyl, which are better and how much more are they? I'd like the paint information as well, please.

o

I think the reason Milgard is so big in AZ is they have a large service center in the Phoenix area (as I understand). I'd love to spend more $$ on windows but I'm really investing in our exterior and interior doors (I found some interior doors that I love and we are having a custom made wrought iron front door made), so we decided to go with Milgard (like so many others here). Trade off for us. My current Milgard quote is for aluminum but I'm going to upgrade to vinyl and skip the fiberglass (cost).

There's a lot of Milgard in our development and most homes go for over $700K.

So when I saw houseful's post about painting the vinyl's I thought I'd look into it. Thanks houseful!

o

The first thing my framer asked is if I was using Milgard windows. I think it's the aluminum windows that leave black gunk in the tracks. I like how easy it is to keep my vinyl windows clean.

o

Was the gunk in the tracks your main reason for upgrading to the Milgard vinyl? Any other differences between aluminum and vinyl? My specs call for aluminum, but I'm hearing I should fork out the difference for vinyl. Any ballpark figures on how much more vinyl is than aluminum?

I'm in Yuma, and they're just starting the groundwork for my house (the original start was June!!!)

Thanks.

o

No that's not the only reason. Actually I assumed we had basically cheap windows. I didn't realize they were more expensive than aluminum. We knew we wanted the dual pane Low-E windows, but as far as the frame, we just went with what the salesman recommended at the time. Our original windows were extremely thin aluminum and definitely cheap. Any windstorm would leave a layer of dirt on the sills. Ours are not Milgard, they are Atrium Advantage. We paid $3400 for 10 new windows in our addition. What do the Milgards cost?

Either way you should get the Low-E. It really makes a difference with this heat.

o

The specs call for Milgard Low-E with argon gas in the aluminum frame, french doors are fiberglass wood-clad. With so many other potential upgrades, I hadn't considered needing to upgrade the windows, too. I don't know the price of the Milgards, they're written in on the contract specs. That's why I wondered how much more the vinyl's would cost. If these will suffice, that would be great. I'd hate to have to upgrade them too!!

o

Milgard is a very popular So Cal window, especially vinyl. Here's a site where you should be able to compare prices between Milgard vinyl and aluminum.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st Windows

o

osorry1
"The specs call for Milgard Low-E with argon gas in the aluminum frame")
Windows are rated for performance & efficiency.
Look for the National Fenstration Rating Council
sticker on the window & shop only brands that have
this unbiased evaluation. (www.nfrc.org)
The information includes U-factors & Solar Heat Gain Coefficients. Visit NFRC's website to view actual sticker.
Window glass & frame make the efficiency of the window.
to give you an example here are the Ufactors & SHGC on
vinyl low-e & aluminum low-e
Vinyl Low-e
Ufactor: .37 SHGC .30
Aluminum Low-e
Ufactor: .5 SHGC .38
For my area these numbers should be less
than .35 this is for hot humid, but will also
hold true in colder climates. The difference will
be the location of the low-e coating.
I would upgrade to vinyl low-e in place of
aluminum with argon gas. Seals fail & gas leaks out.
The low-e coating is there to stay.
Best of luck with your choices.

o

Houseful --

Seems silly to ask them now but did you have the exterior or interior painted? Or both?

Thanks!

o

Hi Houseful,
I will be using vinyl milgard. I was going to go with the darker color trim but, after reading this post I am thinking I'm going to stay with the white trim. Would you please e-mail the info on the paint.
Thank you,
Karen

o

Just curious - would this be a reasonable DIY project?

I'm building a new home and just ordered white vinyl windows only because I haven't made a final decision on ext. paint & trim color yet. I figured white would be least likely to clash...but I like the idea of being able to paint them in 5+ years if I want a new look.

o

AZdream, I only had the exterior done. The insides were perfectly fine.

Kay, you'll have to give me some time to find the business card. I don't think I threw it away, but I am reorganizing my office and don't know where it is.

Holly, if you really determined to DIY, I don't see why you couldn't as long as you can access the right paint and good sprayer.

o

Curious if anyone has painted their vinyl windows and how it turned out.

o

I would love to know how you painted your vinyl windows. The manufacturer says don't, but I hate the white. What did you do?

Thanks!

o

I didn't realize I had made as much progress in my office as I did, LOL! I actually found the card quickly and will email the info Kay5, Pcanyon, and Pfuwbvt right away.

o

Houseful, if you would be so kind I too would love the information. How are your painted windows holding up? and, please, what color did you use?
Thanks very much!

o

Hi Houseful -- I'd actually like to hear how your paint job is holding up too. Thanks!

o

Happykate, I clicked on your email link and I keep getting an error. Why don't you email me first and see if it works.

The windows are holding up beautifully. I am not the least bit worried because everything is under warranty. I went with white because that is the original color of the windows and our house is white stucco.

o

Hi,

Can someone please forward the painting information on to me? I am also interested in hearing any results any one has experienced from this method. Thanks!

o

Bailykara, I am sending you an email now.

o

I had white vinyl windows installed in my log house (why oh why did I do that) and after a month of looking at them I really hate the color. Please send me the information on painting them. I'd love to be able to color them to match better.

o

Randy, look for my email with "Vinyl Window Paint" in the subject.

o

What ever happened to low-maintennace windows? If you're willing to paint your windows, wood windows are really nice and really cheap.

o

mightyanvil: I was waiting for that post.

o

If you read all the posts, this thread is for people who already have vinyl and don't like the color. They don't want the expense or hassle of replacing what they already have.

o

Hi houseful -- me again! Now that we are almost finished building I can't seem to find the email you sent me way back when on this subject. I would love to get the information again so we can attempt this on our "tan but want them to be chocolate brown" Milgard windows. I'd really appreciate it...thanks!

o

I was thinking of doing this but I believe that there would be warping problems if vinyl was painted here in the area of So Cal where it gets very hot in the summer. Vinyl windows come in white and light tan and do not attract enough heat to soften but if painted a dark color or even a midtone I would think I'd be asking for problems.

o

Houseful -- you painted your vinyls, right? What color? Have you had any warping issues since then? Thanks!

o

I never thought about the warping issue with dark colors. So far my white windows have held up nicely.

Remember, my new windows on the addition started to yellow after only 8 months and the company painted them at their expense. I have Atrium Advantage windows. Now, if something does go wrong, you can bet they will be giving me ALL new windows.

AZ, I am sending you an email.

o

Could you forward the painting information to me please? We installed 2 new vinyl windows before deciding on a paint color plus there were already several vinyl that are about 25 years old. I really want a color not white. Thanks ~Lori

o

I am sending it now.

o
Oops!

I guess I am not sending it because your member page has no email link. You can email me first if you like.

o

Please send me the information on how to paint vinyl windows! We are in the proces of building and the window colors are not right!!

o

I'd be happy to Donald, but you'll have to email me first since you don't provide your email address on your "My Page."

o

Could you please send me the info on the epoxy paints as well? My father will be installing white vinyl windows, and just doesnt work with my exterior paint job.Thanks a ton!-Athina

o

I would love the info on where we can get the epoxy paint for Vinyl windows.

Thank tou Andrea

o

Andrea, email me.

o

Hi Houseful

Could you please send me the information on painting the vinyl windows? Thanks. Joy

o

Please send me the information on painting the vinyl windows. Thanks - Mark

o

Drivesouth and Mongo, you both have to email me first as neither of you provide email links.

Boy, I have gotten so many requests lately! Has anyone actually made progress with this company?

o
oops!

I think that should say "provides" a link :o)

o

Housful - I would love the info as well. Thanks!

o

Sotwell, I sent you an email.

o

I'm still perplexed by this link. I noted above that painting vinyl might very well be inviting warping.

I was talking to a windows company guy two weeks ago and I mentioned this to him. He said "watch out". He said all the window companies have spent lots of money on R&D and would love to offer vinyl in colors and that if they did it would sure hurt his sales as he only carries wood clad.

Additionally, he said years ago he worked for a chemical company and one of their clients was an irrigation supply manufacturer and he said that the reason most of their products are black is because that color allows the most addition of chemicals to prevent things like warping.

Can anyone post pictures or info on this who has actually done it and whose windows have survived a summer or two of hot sun?

o

Christineonthelake,

I don't know what kind of paint was used, but it's white. I didn't do it myself, so I can only send you the company information. You will have to provide me an email address.

o

Could you please send me the info on Painting Vinyl Windows. We had White Windows installed last year because we were told Brown windows would fade over time. Now we can't stand the White and really want to change the color. Thanks

o

Jim,

I emailed you.

o

Can you send me the info on painting vinyl windows? Thanks

o

Umm....no offense to anyone, but sure is starting to sound like an advertisement. I mean, there are, and have been 'normal' paints around for over ten years that you can use on vinyl, including vinyl siding....and they work just fine.

o

I am painting my white vinyl windows right now. I am using Krylon Fusion spray paint as a primer. They do not sell it in brush-on form, and for me it's not practical to spray it on the window without extensive masking. So I am spraying the paint on a flat surface, and then brushing it on the window frame. Over this primer, I am applying two coats of Sherwin William oil paint. Seems to be working out ok. Looks great!

o

Can you paint aluminum windows?

o

Oh man Jason, you found me out! What can I say? I've got alot of mouths to feed--

Seriously, this thread is a year and a half old. If there were other products out there, why didn't you say something earlier? All I know is that people had inquired about painting vinyl windows and when I had mine done, I offered the information.

Dangilroy, can't send you the info unless you provide an email.

Mike, let us know how it turns out.

BMH, I would think with a light sanding and a good primer, you could use any good metal paint. I'm sure Jason can verify that.

o

Hi Houseful:

Will you also please email me the information you have regarding painting vinyl windows? Thanks!

o

Could you please send me the info? I want to paint tan-colored Milgard vinyl windows white.

How long have they been painted now? Have you had any chipping or peeling or other problems? Thanks!

o
About the Milgard vinyl windows

We have just gone thru the extensive process of selecting windows in our new home and we went with the Milgard vinyl windows in the almond color (but not the new "almond" color that looks a bit pink). It was very difficult to obtain these windows as Milgard claims that they don't make them for new construction, only for replacements. We were very persistent and diligent in our hunt, and we did, indeed, eventually find a supplier that was able to twist enough arms at Milgard to get the "old" almond color. They are installed now and look great! Not just good, but great! It was exactly the right color to go with and I am of the opinion that they are far better than the more typical white. We looked at Atrium and several others, but mostly because we were initially told by three different window places that we couldn't get the color of Milgard windows that we wanted. The Atrium has a line of windows that look great and are just a bit cheaper than Milgard, with a brown/bronze exterior and white interior color, but we were warned off these windows by multiple different professionals, including several different shops that sell them. Apparently, the holy grail of vinyl windows is to be able to use darker colors (which look fabulous), but the problem is one of heat and the relative softness of vinyl. They all said that we would be sorry if we bought the dark colored vinyl windows.

I hope this helps, especially the individual looking at new home building. Good luck, and remember, nobody will really look at your windows again once they are installed, so don't break the bank on buying expensive ones.

o

Wow, a year and a half has gone by already?? My windows are holding up beautifully. No peeling or chipping.

What I really like about the vinyl is how easy they are to keep clean. There are some (aluminum maybe?) that get very black in the tracks. I know some think they look cheap, but to each his own. I am not really into windows all that much, so I didn't want to spent a lot. But for some people, the style of windows is very important to the overall look of the house architecturally. I can appreciate that.

For anyone requesting info, I cannot sent it to you unless you provide an email address. Or, you can email me first.

o

Just a fyi...in my desperate search for vinyl window in a color other than white or beige, I found what a previous poster described as the "holy grail" of vinyl windows, a company that makes a vinyl window in a dark color, in my case a dark shade of green. They were exactly what I wanted, and so far after 5 years of exposure they still look great. I live in central NY, so we don't get, as a rule, any extreme heat, so that may be why I am don't see any fading etc. If my factory painted dark color vinyl windows can hold up well after 5 years, hopefully any of you who are painting your vinyl windows a dark color will have the same luck.

Abbey

o

If your warranty is important to you, I would suggest you read it or contact the manufacturer before deciding to paint vinyl windows. Painting vinyl windows will void most if not all vinyl window warranties.

o
Painting Vinyl Windows

Houseful, would you email the directions and products you used. I have Pella brown aluminum clad with wood exterior windows, but I am installing a window in the shower. I needed something resistant to water on the inside, but I want to paint the outside. I ordered a cheapie window from American Craftsman. It is a "hopper" style so I don't have to worry about painting tracks. Also, thank you for responding to everyone on this thread. I appreciate your offer to help may have turned into more than you bargained for.

o

Timo, you don't provide an email link. You'll have to email me first.

Bobbi13, if you're out there, I keep getting an error message when I tried to email you back. Do you have an alternate address?

o

I had a local contractor install the wrong color of Atrium vinyl windows in my home and was wondering if anyone had ever painted the INSIDE? I ended up with a light oak instead of the dark...Even went to small claims and how I lost, I don't know!? Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated!

Kim
kim_schneider5143@yahoo.com

o

Kim, I got your email but mine is acting up and won't send a reply. It's too bad about your situation. Hopefully you will sell the door quickly.

o

Please send info I have choc brown vinyl windows that are faded and chalky looking, southern exposure, extreme heat on sunny dys. Lesson learned, next time choose light colors for less expanding and contracting with temp changes

o

I run a company in Toronto, On. We specialize in painting vinyl windows with an environmentally safe product. If you are interested in becoming a certified applicator or wonder if applicators are in your area send me an e-mail.
Thanks
Jason Dodge
Vinyl Window Painting

o

I've been getting a few emails a month since I posted this. But just this week alone I got four. Since there is quite an interest, I am posting the guys name and number.

Contact Dave at 513-884-0609.

o

Please email the info on painting vinyl windows -- thanks

o

Hi, Houseful,

I'm excited to hear it IS possible to paint vinyl windows with success. Our windows are the same color as the siding and I would like them to be a contrasting color. Are yours still holding up well, without fading and peeling? And, which colors seem to have better success - light or dark? Please send the info on this.
Thanks,
Karen

o

Hi Karen,

I posted the man's name and phone number a couple posts up from this. Ours are holding up really, really well. I have heard that the lighter vinyl holds up better. However, I don't know if that applies to the epoxy paint as well. I am sure the guy will let you know how the darker colors hold up in different climates.

Hope it works out for you!

o

Houseful in Arizona,

Can you please email me your latest recommendations for painting vinyl windows?

busurfmd@aol.com

o

The contact I posted above is the only recommendation I have since I really don't know of any other company that does this. You may want to try an internet search if you want more options.

o

Hi Houseful - It is great to read about your windows. There is not a lot of info about painting vinyl windows out there.

My problem is off-gassing. The interior vinyl window frames on the south side of my house are reacting to heat/sunlight and off-gassing an odor. The windows themselves are in great shape, so I don't want to replace them. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm thinking that painting the vinyl may reduce the off-gassing.

Could you please email me any info/tips for painting vinyl windows? Thanks!

fgottawa@hotmail.com

o

I don't have any other info for you other than the name and number of the company that did my work.

Have you also contacted the company that installed your windows?

o

Hi again. Yes, I've contacted the company - unfortunately the windows are out of the warranty period. Vinyl off-gassing can happen in some cases when it is exposed to the UV in direct sunlight. Of course most of it happens on the external part, where it does not matter. But if it happens internally, it can be a problem to those with sensitivities to chemicals and especially south-facing windows.

Basically, the only solution is to paint the internal vinyl. However, the key is to use a special paint (like BIN) for the primer coat that is formulated to both seal in odors and adhere well to surfaces such as vinyl. Once primed the vinyl can then be painted any color. I am in the process of doing this now.

Regards.

o

Hi,

We are installing Vinyl windows while color to our home. Our HOA insists to have Brown/Bronze exterior color. Can you please mail me the paint info that can be used on Vinyl windows. Also windows are exposed to sun heat. Is it safe to paint Vinyl windows with Brown/Broze when it is exposed to sun heat? Please share your experience.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

o

Houseful I'd like the name of that painting contractor also. We have had Milgard vinyl windows for 4 years. We just had the house re-stuccoed and the people left the windows taped for 9 days. Any window that has direct sun has significant discoloring.

o

Our company is introducing a factory painted Vinyl window in the spring of 2008. Our company has been manufacturing PVC windows since 1985. We have alway discouraged painting windows because PVC has a distortion temperature of 140 F. If you use ordinary brown or dark paint to paint the window you risk warpage because the dark paint will absorb the sun's infrared energy. New paints have ceramic additives that will actually reflect the infrared very nicely. My advice is be carefull and research the paint you are going to use on your windows.

o

Paint for vinyl has been around for years; it's called latex. There is no magic, science, or witchcraft involved. Sherwin Williams and others have been offering a dozen paints that can go over vinyl for windows, siding, or whatever else with NO problems, and have been in use for a decade.

Anyone claiming anything else is a scamming you; this is not rocket science, just basic painting that was figured out 20 years ago.

o

This is the guy's number: Contact Dave at 513-884-0609.

I'm sure what Jason is stating is fact, but I don't think the company I used is scamming anyone. All I know is that my window company sent these people out after mine started to yellow. And after 3 years (wow! has it been that long!?!), they look just fine.

o

hi there

Can i have the material info for painting the vinly window frame?
thank you
ariel
msbuggie@yahoo.com

o

Please send info on epoxy paint for vinyl windows. thanks

o

Hi there...there is plenty of mention on hot weather, I am putting in vinyl in a mountain home with cold winters, and no heat issues. The colored vinyl is more expensive than the white. Will the "magic" paint work in the cold? Can you email me the source for the holy-grail of painting vinyl? Thank you. It's been 5 years...still looks ok?

o
Painting windows

What can I use to paint my vinyl windows?
Thanks Dennis

o

Can u send me the info on the epoxy paint. I installed windows on an upstairs unit to match the almond color below on the other unit. Unfortunately the color has changed and the owner wonders if I can do anything with the old windows to make them look the same . Thanks

o
RE: I Want to Paint My ugly marshmallow white Vinyl Windows. HELP

Please Help! I just built a new house, and for budget reason ordered vinyl windows. Made a mistake and they are "Marshmeallow White" inside and out which I hate. What product of paint can I use that will not chip off, fade, or need to be repainted annually. I live in Toronto near the train tracks and prefer a darker color.. Thanks:)

o
Sliders wrong color inside

A friend ordered and installed new patio doors for me. After ripping out and destroying old sliders I realized that the inside was the same tan color as the outside. All of my woodwork is white. I had assumed the interior would be white. NEVER assume anything! Lesson learned. I am planning on painting the interior white using tips on this site. Wish me luck and thanks for all of the info!

o

Can you send vinyl epoxy painting info to me as well...I am residing house and windows are faded and color mismatched ....
Thanks...

o

Could you email me the info as well? Thanks

o

Household can I get the contact to paint my vinyl windows. Thank you

o

Hi all,

I got a personal email on this. I rarely visit this forum anymore, so I apologize for missing these recent posts.

The company was ESI out of Ohio. The guys name was Dave and his number was 513-884-0609.

HTH

o

Hello everyone, we have white vinyl windows and want to paint it dark brown. Can someone send me the info? I have been googling like crazy and that's how I came about to this site.

Thanks

o

I just had vinyl windows installed and would like the trim painted brown. Do you have further information that you can send me?

o

Can you please send me info on how to paint vinyl windows, I have two beautiful windows I would like to paint and not replace due to color.

o

Can you please provide information to me on painting vinyl windows? Thanks - Steve

StRyanVT@gmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here