Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houseful_gw

I Just Had My Vinyl Windows Painted

houseful
18 years ago

They look beautiful.

Quick background - Seven years ago, we had our cheap aluminum single pain windows replaced with white vinyl windows. Have to admit at the time I wasn't "into" remodeling the way I am now and just went with the salesman's recommendation, although we do love the windows. Since we added on to our house now, we went with the same windows. I notice one day that they looked like they were discoloring, but I thought it was my imagination since they weren't supposed to do that. I guess it happens every once in awhile although our 7 years old windows look fine.

So I am thinking all the windows have to be ripped out and what a mess it would be... Well, they have a process now that coats the windows with some sort of epoxy-like paint. It doesn't fade and doesn't get chalky like the vinyl can - almond and brown are really bad for this.

I was very skeptical, but figured I have nothing to lose. They agreed to do the old windows too just to make sure they all looked the same. They turned out great and I couldn't be more pleased.

They apparently have a ton of colors and I am sure it's not cheap, but for those of you who have asked in the past about painting vinyl windows, it is available and probably cheaper than replacing them.

If anyone is interested, I can forward the information on to you.

Comments (148)

• dianakolo_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Household can I get the contact to paint my vinyl windows. Thank you

• houseful
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I got a personal email on this. I rarely visit this forum anymore, so I apologize for missing these recent posts.

The company was ESI out of Ohio. The guys name was Dave and his number was 513-884-0609.

HTH

• jaaedw
    11 years ago

Hello everyone, we have white vinyl windows and want to paint it dark brown. Can someone send me the info? I have been googling like crazy and that's how I came about to this site.

Thanks

• bgordon
    11 years ago

I just had vinyl windows installed and would like the trim painted brown. Do you have further information that you can send me?

• Rhonda2
    11 years ago

Can you please send me info on how to paint vinyl windows, I have two beautiful windows I would like to paint and not replace due to color.

• StRyanVT
    11 years ago

Can you please provide information to me on painting vinyl windows? Thanks - Steve

StRyanVT@gmail.com

• gocargo83
    8 years ago

Hi! I read this link from the beginning all good. I am in CA. I am remodeling my whole house and really want brown windows. I am out of money and am thinking of getting white vinyl and painting it later. Sounds like warrenty can be voided or paint can warp. What to do? gloriagocargo83@aol.com

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Normally yes it would void any warranty on the window as darker colors absorb heat, and the paint more than likely will not hold up very well.

• gocargo83
    8 years ago

thank you. I am leaning on getting the brown vinyl on windows and getting metal primered doors that i can paint.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Do yourself a favor though and get a good quality brown window and don't get a window only because it is brown.

• collfoster
    8 years ago

Houseful, I do not like to bother you, but could I pretty please have the info for the vinyl window paint as well? Thank you!!

• gocargo83
    8 years ago

I was going with Milgard but there windows would take 6 weeks. I decided on Value they will take 3 weeks. Both are white on the inside brown on the outside. Warranty is as long as you own the house and don't paint them.

• collfoster
    8 years ago

thanks Houseful for taking time to post the info - you are the best!!!

• Jason Campsall
    8 years ago

Houseful - I too would like to get info on the painting of the white vinyl windows, but new to the forum (sign up etc) but I can 't seem to figure out how to reach you to receive more information .I can be reached at airstrip@hotmail.com thank you - jason

• gocargo83
    8 years ago

ok I have my value windows up. White on the inside brown in the ouutside. they look nice. I did recieve on a paint to cover in amizon.

• Jason Campsall
    8 years ago

what type of paint was it? how did you apply, spray?

• gocargo83
    8 years ago

I have not painted mine yet. I like the way it looks and dont want to forfeit warranty. I recieved info on AmazonSmile: Plasti-Kote

• lc6930
    8 years ago

I want to paint my white vinyl windows brown. What paint do you recommend?

• PRO
    Bear Wood Fine Finishing
    8 years ago

Hi Houseful, I am a painting contractor in Colorado, I am currently researching painting vinyl windows for a upcoming project, the residence is about 12 yrs old with white exterior vinyl windows and the owner wants them to painted a deep red and the one thing I keep hearing is that dark colors are the worst. Any suggestions?

• gocargo83
    8 years ago

I still kept mine white on the inside espresso on the outside. I have a five year warranty if something goes wrong, but if I paint them it will forfeit my warranty. I wanted to paint the white part espresso. In my research I found Amazon Plasti-Kote.

• Jovi Flor
    7 years ago

Im considering skipping the paint and installing a masonry frame on top of window frame, but i wonder how well masonry adhesive will work on vinyl.So, i' m thinking maybe i can install thin hardy backer, by screwing to my window frame and applying mortar on top ( my window frames are flat and 4" thick). would this cause shrinking also?

• allen_spiece
    7 years ago

Could you email me the info?

• frwebb
    7 years ago

May I please have the info on painting vinyl Windows? Thanks!

• gtftg
    7 years ago

Please send me the info also.

• Carrie Sty
    7 years ago

I would like the information too. Thank you.

• clockbob
    7 years ago

Please pass on the information you mention in your article. I have two vinyl windows in our kitchen that I'm currently remodeling. They are light beige and I want them white to go with our Shaker cabinets. Thank you...

• Kevin Coltharp
    7 years ago

Hello... I have new Milgard patio sliding doors with white exterior. I made a mistake with the white exterior and need to paint them to match the exterior trim of my condo. The contractor is not willing to help, so I need any information you can provide to accomplish this task using the best process available using the best paint for vinyls.

• gocargo83
    7 years ago

Read back and then look up the product near you. I never did change my vinyl windows. Long story I was supposed to get Milgard ended up with Value windows. The contractor ripped me off.

• jayandalison
    7 years ago

Sorry, it looks like Houseful has gone out of business.....

• gocargo83
    7 years ago

look up Plasti-kote on line maybe amazon look up derections for vinyl windows.

• Sandy Fromm
    7 years ago

I'd like the info on doing this.

• jjfarrell
    7 years ago

We have Milgard white vinyl windows and after 11 years, we would love to paint them dark bronze. Can this be done without the paint chipping off? Any other issues with doing so? Please forward any information you can to us. Thank you much.

• User
    7 years ago

Houseful's info was: "The company was ESI out of Ohio. The guys name was Dave and his number was 513-884-0609."

• Paula Clark
    6 years ago

I'd like that information - I just installed vinyl windows. Exterior is dark grey, interior is white. The white is very visible and isn't what I had wanted, but it's too late to reorder them now. Would your information also work on windows with moving parts that come in contact with each other?

• Tiffany French
    6 years ago

Please send me the information on how to paint them.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Houseful hasn't been on the forum for years. I posted the information for what its worth which is probably nothing since its 12 years old. Please stop reactivating a dead thread.

• jessi6263
    6 years ago

Hi! I know this is an old thread but if possible can you please send me info!?

• User
    6 years ago

• jessi6263
    6 years ago
    @jn344 do you have any before & afters? Tips ?
  • User
    6 years ago

This thread is 10 years old. The ppl are long gone. JDS posted the info up thread already.

Suggest posting a new topic in either the window forums or the paint forum.

• new-beginning
    6 years ago

way up there she posted the guy's name and number - scroll about halfway up

• Connie Zenk
    6 years ago

Please send the information on the epoxy paint. Thank you!

• Sandy Brown
    6 years ago
    houseful, can I get that information as well , getting ready to do an addition , and love the black trim Windows , but all old Windows are white .
  • User
    6 years ago

This thread is 13 years old. The info, if it is still even accurate, is:

Houseful's info was: "The company was ESI out of Ohio. The guys name was Dave and his number was 513-884-0609."

• User
    6 years ago

Krylon Spray Fusion for Plastic and Rust-Oleum Spray Paint for Plastic should work if you study the instructions and clean, de-gloss and wipe the PVC well before painting. I would try both paints on a PVC pipe and experiment with non-residue cleaners and chemical or mechanical means of removing the gloss finish of the PVC starting with glass cleaner or TSP and very fine silicone carbine sandpaper or a chemical de-glosser. Let this stuff dry a week or more before testing. Then try it on a window you can afford to replace and wait a few months before doing the rest of them.

Don't expect the best results if the new color is much different in value from the old one (i.e. dark vs light) And expect dark colors to fade especially red. PVC tends to expand in sunlight and darker finishes might increase that problem.

I would only trust the results of my own experiments.

• frwebb
    6 years ago

All you folks looking to paint white vinyl windows in dark colors: the issue actually is more than whether the paint sticks, but there is a solution.

in the same boat, I researched this last summer. Turns out that light colored windows, if painted dark, could absorb enough additional heat from the sun to warp the windows and affect their fit and performance.

so there are two possibilities here, or three if you count leaving them alone. You can paint them a light color. Use the Zinsser primer that's good for plastics, and use any good quality (say that again: GOOD QUALITY! Cheaply made paint doesn’t cover, stick, or last like the good stuff. It just doesn’t.) light colored paint.

But if you really, really want a dark color, all is not lost. Both Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams manufacture paint specifically for vinyl siding, trim, or windows in a limited range of colors that includes some nice darks and brights. It’s formulated to reflect light so less heat builds up. You’ll have to special order it and it costs more. Your paint store person may not even realize it exists, but you can show them on the manufacturer website. Worth it not to have to replace those windows.

• HU-658269416
    5 years ago
    How does the paint last? Does it chip and need repainting over time?
  • alice2013xxx
    5 years ago

Pretty please with a cherry on top: For those of you have have tried the above products, how have the surfaces held up over time? And over what length of time? I have white melamine/vinyl clad kitchen cabinets and they are aging poorly as far as color goes. wabbithole@gmail.com