Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Windows?

tammyte
10 years ago

I am debating about two windows. These aren't the final plans but it's the most recent pic I have.

Master bedroom - Right now we have a window on the side of the house. I really like the idea of having that nice cross lighting but I don't like how the window is in the way of furniture placement. It seems like an odd place. Would a window that is horizontal and up high look dumb there? If it was like that would it seem like the bed *had* to be on that wall under that window? Or would it work to have a dresser under it? What about the exterior? Do you think it would matter much?

Living room - What about adding a window on the left side of the living room? Same thing, cross lighting. I am concerned that a window placed there would get in the way as well. Also would that make a difference in privacy for the master bathroom?

The house will be on 90 acres of field and trees and will sit about 600 feet off the road. When people drive up they won't be able to see the master bedroom side from the driveway.

Comments (11)

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a view of the masterbedroom exterior.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

What direction does the house face again?

I would add a window in the LR if it will face the South or the East, but probably not if it would face the West-- I'd be torn if it's to the North. I wouldn't worry about privacy in the master bath, because someone would have to be standing right in the corner to see into the master bath windows from the LR, and why would they do that? For the MBR, it's hard for me to decide without knowing the room dimensions and what furniture you plan to have in there. If you do keep the window, I'd want to scoot the door over so the window and door are lined up. I could see going with a smaller window, but I don't think I'd go with a high window because I think of those as more contemporary, and my memory is that you're building a farmhouse style.

Would the window in the MBR interfere less with furniture placement if it were near the front corner of the house? Since any furniture placed in that corner would block a window anyhow, having a second window there might have fewer downsides.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

We planned windows to flank the bed on either side just behind nightstands. This allows us to move the bedroom furniture in any configuration. I've had a few people question the placement but I think we will love it. Btw they are monsters, 3x6. It balances the room and the exterior windows.

We are way out on 40 acres.

Jen

• daisyblue
    10 years ago

I would also leave the master bedroom window and relocate the bedroom door directly across from it. This would allow you a "view" from the laundry room when the bedroom door is open, making that room feel less closed off. If you move the bedroom door, you might also consider making the closets in the music room and laundry room larger (shortening the hallway).

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The house should face North/East, so both windows would face East.

Hmmm good points on the door lining up with the window. I specifically moved the door over because I wanted space to put a piece of furniture behind it.

Zone4-I'm not sure what you meant about a possible window in the mbr corner. Are you saying add a 2nd window on that wall or move the existing one down to the front corner?

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I meant to move the existing window down. It might be a way to get light from two directions without losing as much flexibility in furniture placement.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay I understand. Thank you. :)

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

What about doing a set of 3 windows centered on the 'bed wall'? You could then center them with your bed. I've linked to a page on houzz that has a number of examples. I commented on the window issue on a previous thread, indicating that I would delete it. If its the light you're after, the higher up windows would give you that and allow any configuration of furniture placement on either side of the bed you wanted.

Our master originally had a window to the right of the bed and I just knew I'd miss that window & the light if we didn't put it in, but my need for symmetry won out in the end and surprisingly I don't miss that window at all--likely because of my big windows on the long wall. I can't enlarge your plan pic large enough to make out the window sizes on the front of the house-- are they large enough to let in plenty of light?

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Windows Above Bed Idea on Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/windows-above-bed-phbr0lbl-bl~l_43038)

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dreamhome- Thanks for the links. Those are just what I had pictured in my mind for a high window.

The windows on the front are supposed to be 3'wide by 5' tall I think. We're still working on those. They will be facing NE but will have no porch over them.

I like the look of the windows up high above the bed but wondered what it would look like if the bed wasn't placed there but placed against either the front wall or the opposite wall. Although, I doubt it goes on the opposite wall as we have a king size bed and that doesn't leave much room.

What do you think it would look like if the bed was not placed on the wall with the high windows?

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, another question. :)

How do you know how big to make the window(s)? Do I just center it on the wall or center it where a bed or dresser would be placed?

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone? She changed the window for me but I am unsure of the size. She put in 3 2'x2' windows. I am wondering if this will not be the right size/proportion. How do I figure how high to put it? Should it be more like 7 or 8 feet wide instead of 6?