Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doorbell/intercom/locks/wireless?

Posted by mossphl (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 23:29

We are building a four story townhouse, narrow but tall. I would really like to be able to unlock the front door (and possibly have a doorbell that calls my phone and a camera/speaker to see and talk) without going down several sets of stairs to let someone in.

Lots of walk up apartment buildings have intercom systems to talk to and buzz in guests. I might have been looking in the wrong places, but I can't find any information about them, or less commercial and cheaper alternatives. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I could see putting in a wireless doorbell and wifi camera with speaker very cheaply, but then I can't figure out the lock. Something like doorbot and lockitron might help, but it looks unreliable, or at best untested. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doorbell/intercom/locks/wireless?

Look for security system contractors in your area;http://www.thebluebook.com/

o

Yes, but the whole point of my post is to either find a DIY option, or at least to do my homework before talking to a contractor.

o

There's DoorKing, but it's not DIY.

o

I googled "buzzer locks for doors" and found this on Amazon.com. Looks like it might be what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buzz-in lock system

o

Thanks, bevangel. I followed the "also viewed" links on Amazon, and ended up at smarthome. Other google searches are "SIP
door phone" or "door phone". Looking for reviews on smarthome, I ended up at cocoontech.com and its forums. Lots of interesting information there, for example, http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/21866-front-door-av-intercom/.

Lots to think about. I feel like it's a matter of time before things go wireless, but the technology isn't quite there yet, so we may have go wired to get what we want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front-door-av-intercom

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here