Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kljrph

Floor Plan Review / Construction Loan FYI

kljrph
10 years ago

Like most newbies, I have been reading this forum for months and we are getting close to breaking ground, so I thought I would post my plan for review.

My husband and I have 2 girls ages 7 and 2. We are building an ICF ranch home on a 4 acre wooded lot in NW Indiana. I have posted the main floor. The stairs will lead to a large bonus area that we will use for the girls play area and maybe some room for my things too. We will also have a 3000 sq ft basement which we will finish parts of down the road.

The kitchen will have a larger island, it's not drawn in correctly on the drawing. I am also thinking about having an opening from the kitchen to the 4 seasons room, but I would like some feedback on that. Another decision that isn't final is the placement of the fireplace, right now we have it as a dual room fireplace between the great room/4 season room.

Also, FYI for those of you getting ready to obtain a construction loan, check out Peoples Bank if you have them in your area. They had the best deal around, 1/2% origination and 4.25% during construction on the draws.

Comments (4)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

If this were my kitchen, I'd rather have an L + larger island than a U + small island. The L will give you less counter space . . . but it'll be a more functional kitchen because you'll have better flow for traffic, and you won't have to walk around the island so much. Also, if you keep the U, you're going to run into two big problems: You'll have to deal with two corners, which are expensive and always inefficient. And with the U, you're going to end up with the dishwasher either next to the corner (so that opening it prevents you from accessing the upper cabinets) or separated from the sink on another leg of the cabinets.

Lots of wasted space in the master bath -- square baths lend themselves to that problem because everything has to be around the edge. I'd make the shower larger.

Is that set of lines in the master bedroom a division into a seating area? If so, where's the bed going to be placed? I don't see an obvious place.

If you flip-flop the office and the laundry (which would also flip-flop your entryway /porch, you'd make the laundry more convenient to the master bedroom, AND you'd be making the laundry adjacent to the two bathrooms . . . which would save on plumbing.

An out-front garage dominates the house. Do you have any other options?

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

The bathroom next to the office seems teeny tiny. Is it really functional the way it is? Perhaps you could steal some space from the master bath to make it work better. I think the master bath has room to spare.

On second thought, do you really need a shower in that teeny bathroom? It's not near any bedrooms . . . .

Also, I don't like that it doesn't have a window.

• kljrph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, in the master our bed will be on the wall with the window, it will be one of those high wide windows. I know there is wasted space in the master bath, but our builder has a similar bath and it is very spacious, but I liked it. The one vanity isn't drawn in correct, it will be the same size as the one across from it.

• kljrph
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We may make the office a future guest room, so that is why we decided to at least put a shower in the guest bath, but maybe we could rework our master and that bath to give a little more room to the guest bath.