Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have their brick on their homes 'FADE'?

Posted by Karen45624 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 22:22

Hi,
We are in the process of building a home. I fell iove with Glen-Gery Knob Hill colored brick. Our local brick supplier gave me some addresses of homes with the same brick on them. Problem is that I noticed that on some of the homes around 15 years old that the bricks had FADED!! (almost didn't recognize them.) I'm hoping that they were a bad batch but would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with their brick fading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have their brick on their homes 'FADE'?

I've noticed ours has faded a bit. I would never have noticed if I hadn't taken a picture when we bought the house and again last year. The brick is a yellowish tan which goes all the way through and it has surface colors of rust, brown, and white. It's the brown and rust that faded.

I also bought some landscaping block that was a dusty reddish color and it is pink now. I bought it about 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure it is a concrete, not fired brick. They have the color all the way through and when one chips it is darker inside.

o

The Knob Hill brick has a tan background with some grey, red, and slightly darker brown mixed coloration. It seems like the red and Greys are more faded out and the brick looks mostly tan after fading. Today I went to see another house that was 5 years old and the brick looked like new. I think I'm going to call the manufacturer and ask them if they have had complaints.

o

Depending on what the compounds providing the color to the clay the bricks are made from, some changes in color with long term UV exposure can occur.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here