Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this look strange??

Posted by eire6678 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:20

Rethinking our plans. On the left is the garage, on the right is a playroom. They are both set back about 16 feet from center of house. Will this look strange?? Thinking about lining them up with center section of house, but of course that changes floor plan inside. Thoughts? Thank you in advance!!!

This post was edited by eire6678 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:51

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this look strange??

Floor plan

o

The simulated dovecotes in the vertical-sided gables look like they don't belong; maybe if the vertical siding was on the entire bay, not only the gable? Maybe it ill look fine IRL, maybe you have seen such in person already. Looks weird in elevation drawing.
Casey

o

I don't think it looks strange at all to have them set back...I think it looks more authentic and interesting.

o

I actually like the look of the 2 "wings". But then I'm not a fan of perfect symmetry.

What bothers me a bit are the 2 eyebrow dormers in the roof, the oval window nose, and the front door mustache dormer.

o

The wings don't bother me, but I don't like the oval window at all. And why do the shingles wrap around to the sides of the gables. That looks fussy to me. Why not just a regular gable?

I wonder if it would look better to have not have little she'd dormers within the big gable dormers? Rather than shed dormers you could just have a window flush in the siding?? I'm not sure about this- just wondering.

Either way, i would lose the oval window for sure.

o

On the right wing, I would nix the little triangle top/gable above the window. Simplifying is easier in the eyes sometimes and is always easier in the pocketbook;)

Keep the center if the house the focus

o

An elevation would help.

o

It doesn't look strange, but would changing the plan be a bad thing? What would bother me ( and I know you didn't ask, but...) is everybody and their sister traipsing through the kitchen every time they come or go, get their backpack, deposit or retrieve their laundry, etc.

Just wondering about the playroom, since it looks like it's supposed to look like an addition, wouldn't a porch-like space be appropriate? With more windows? Would make a nice, airy space to play, and a pleasant getaway room later.

o

"I don't think it looks strange at all to have them set back...I think it looks more authentic and interesting."

I also think the exterior looks great with them set to the rear....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here