Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stblgt_gw

recessed light issue

stblgt
9 years ago

hey everyone! I have been helped greatly in the past on this forum and i was hoping to get some more feedback on this issue. we have recessed lights under the center of our windows on the exterior that act as "accent" lighting. all of them are centered except for one. there was a joist in the way of having the light centered over both casements.

i attached the picture of how it currently sits (off centered a little to the left) and was wondering if there are any other options. if we had them mount it in the hole to the right, the light will be centered under the roof eyebrow better, but where it currently is, it seems to be centered better over the casements then it would be if it were in the hole to the right. any suggestions would greatly be appreciated...thanks!

This post was edited by stblgt on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 22:28

Comments (7)

• stblgt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is another angle

• stblgt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anyone have any opinions? we are really unsure if this will look okay. any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would probably center over the window, but it's hard for me to say as I've never seen a house with recessed lighting on the exterior, except maybe over a garage...we did that over our garage doors. For most of our exterior lighting we did LED spots and floods in the ground, lighting up...not from the top, lighting down. You might talk to the folks at the electrical store where you bought the lighting. They usually have an expert who can help you...

Also, you might consider the effect from the inside...will you need room darkening shades to keep the light out if it's a bedroom window?

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 18:14

• done_again_2
    9 years ago

I've seen this type of lighting on houses near me. From what I recall it's not centered over windows like yours. We have spotlights on a couple corners of our house. Without seeing the entire house, do you need this one at all? Would it look ok closer to the corner? As the previous poster said, will it affect the rooms at night?

• radoncdoc
    9 years ago

I am no expert, but what about two small 4" cans abutting the joist. That will definitely look symetrical.

• stblgt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the responses so far. attatched is the latest pic of the house exterior. we have a recessed above the tall window to the left, above the foyer window, two above the garage door and the casement windows to the right (the one that is causing the problem). all are centered perfectly except that one.

the light will not be a problem when lit because they probably will only be on for company or weekends. all five of these are on their own light switch. we also have a porch light and two garage lanterns that will be on their own switch. the recessed lights are more of an accent lighting rather than everyday use.

we thought of doing smaller cans, except we really wanted to try to keep the size the same all around. but that is still a good idea! we haven't thrown it out yet.

any more opinions are appreciated!

This post was edited by stblgt on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 21:14

• renovator8
    9 years ago

This lighting technique seems more commercial than residential. Is it that difficult to move the framing that is in the way?

Pink Wrap is a perforated, woven polyolefin wrap that the manufacturer warns should not be used behind porous cladding (wood, stucco, fiber-cement) unless the siding is either back primed or there is a .4" air space. A better choice would be a non-woven, non-perforated wrap like Tyvek or Typar.