Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Asphalt vs. concrete for very long drive in N.Ohio, historic look

threeapples
11 years ago

I thought I convinced my husband to do asphalt with the stone chips in it (can't remember the name) because I think it'd look better with our historic home. The landscape architect told us last year this was the way to go, said it lasts longer, looks better, etc. All of a sudden he's saying concrete is cheaper and a better choice. The architect says asphalt will ruin our marble floors if people go barefoot on the driveway and then walk in the house. I hate the look of concrete. We need something that will last with heavy plowing as we get a lot of snow. Sadly, this rules out crushed granite. Any thoughts? thanks.

Comments (10)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

My first thought is who walks barefoot on asphalt? I did a google search for black concrete driveway and there are alot of good examples.
    This one is nice {{gwi:1483274}}

• deegw
    11 years ago

Concrete with exposed aggregate can look historic. It depends on the color of the concrete, the color of the stones, the size of the aggregate, etc.

{{gwi:1483275}}

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest an exposed aggregate concrete. You can use whatever color aggregate you like. It looks great I think. We ended up doing an integral stain in the concrete of our driveway (french gray) with a bluestone apron. We had to have a stone apron per ARB guidelines and there were limited stones that looked good with our house.

I am happy with how it turned out and it was much less expensive than an aggregate driveway. I have always heard asphalt is much less expensive than concrete. . . is that not the case where you are?

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I wanted to do the aggregate, but dh convinced me that it was not a good idea with frequent snow plowing.

Was he just yanking my chain??

Dlm2000a-what do you mean by a permeable surface? Are you talking about rock or something like that?

• krycek1984
    11 years ago

I live in NE Ohio, and one of my biggest concerns would be plowability, too. I don't see how aggregate could be useful when for 4-5 months of the year, a plow will go over the surface. Especially since the driveway will be long - you just can't do that with a snow blower.

I've seen both concrete and asphalt. Personally I think concrete looks nicer and I see concrete in many of the more expensive homes on the east side, but I suppose it's just opinion.

• User
    11 years ago

Do whatever is the cheapest on the approach and save the pretty stuff for immediately adjacent to the home.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Our GC and DH wanted to do concrete. I wanted asphalt. Like the look more out in the woods. But they won, since asphalt is a wearing surface and would need more maintenance in the future. We did a stained concrete, ochre

Our POA requires asphalt or black concrete at the street for X yards to mimic asphalt (it's more dark gray than black). Black is more expensive to do - takes more to color darker.

The price of asphalt is tied to oil, and it was more 7 years ago when we did ours. Price wasn't the deciding factor, but we priced both at the time.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

@ red_lover - permeable surface is anything that can allow water to drain through, unlike asphalt or concrete where it has to run off. Pavers, bricks, turf (where the grass grows through or around a hard surface in a grid or pattern) are types of permeable surfaces. Our neighbors added a parking apron with very large flagstones. With crushed limestone in the joints it's a permeable surface.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Ok--gotcha. Thanks. Love the pavers.