Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

Get plan within budget

lethargo
9 years ago

We're trying to find a plan to take to bid out to builders, but can't find anything really that fits what we need and want. We found this plan, but we need it to be under $300k (in MI), and this plan as it is would be over that... Should we just purchase the plans and try to find a builder to help us get it to where it's in our budget or what? Ideas? This is an example of what we'd like style-wise, and the number of rooms/function of rooms.

http://www.houseplans.com/plan/3959-square-feet-4-bedrooms-4-5-bathroom-craftsman-home-plans-3-garage-31731

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan

Comments (22)

• Michelle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live in MI and am building a 3500 sq ft home....it's currently quoted much higher than your budget. I don't think you should buy those plans.....they're much, much too large for your budget.

This post was edited by Michelle1973 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 0:07

• robin0919
    9 years ago

WOW! Are the subs in MI unions???

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I don't know where you are at in MI but we just finished an owner build, large amount of DIY-2,300 sq ft (not including unfinished basement) for just over that. If we paid a builder to do it I can't imagine how much that would have been. We are on western MI-not on the lake. I would not buy it and then try to make it work. I don't think it's even close to getting you there. :(

edit: have you talked to any builders about any houses they have recently built and your basic wants to see what cost they give? Parade of homes? Maybe that would help before you invest in a plan.

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 23:04

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Look at existing homes rather than building. That will be the cheapest square footage that you can purchase.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand the house is too large, but we haven't found anything that really fits our wants and needs in a floorplan. I was thinking that since this is the style and has some of the basics (type of spaces) a builder may be able to help us draft something that we would like within our budget using these plans as a starting point.

We have been looking for homes for sale for a couple years, anywhere from $200 under to $100 over our price range. We're totally disgusted with the 'new' builds in the area (eastern MI within a 10-15 mile area), they have terrible use of space, WET basements, some have nails sticking out of the trim pieces, some stink of smoke, some of mold, one of a fogger?, most if not all of the homes that are at our price point and higher are outdated, not well kept, would require new mechanicals, new roofs, new carpet, etc. We don't necessarily want the cheapest sq. footage-we want a home! We have moved many times in the past 5 years (due to work) and with 3 small children are ready to settle in somewhere.

We had priced a build with a tract builder of 3300 sq ft at $380k. That's 2x4, very minimal code build. But it sure looks pretty to buyers.We could live there for a couple of years and sell for quite well. (house next door is listed at $500k) Problem is the lot, it's 3 lots down from a busy road, and our current home is on a similar road and the reason for us moving.

So can't find any existing homes (and not for trying, we've looked at over 15 in the past week, with another 6 or more this weekend). So we're considering building on a lovely wooded lot, right smack in the middle of everything. This plan has the HUGE space I want for a mudroom, with a bath close by. A room on the main floor that can be used for elderly parents to visit with a full bath close by, a home office, open kitchen-dining-living room, 4 beds upstairs, 3 baths upstairs. I was thinking (hoping) there would be some way to lob off some of the house, straighten out the corners, and get the price down.

Oh, and we want geothermal and radiant heating/cooling... But we can wait on the granite countertops!

Ah...sigh... I suppose we could cram ourselves into a little rental somewhere for awhile...

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Your wish list is considerably out of your budget range. It's not even close and would be impossible to alter the original plan to fit within your budget and keep what drew it to you in the first place. You need to be looking at plans that are MUCH smaller to begin with. 1500 square feet, and very simple, without all of those extras. Then look at what it takes to add a few features to those plans. That's easier than trying to subtract things. But, it will put you perilously close to being over your budget again if you start adding in expensive upgrades like that geothermal and a bunch of extra bedrooms and bathrooms.

If all that is in your budget when you are looking existing homes now are fixer uppers, there is no fix for that other than to stay put, and save more money to increase your budget. Already built homes are like new cars. Their value drops as soon as that new home smell is gone. And they sell for less than they cost to build. Which is why they are a much better value for a bargain hunter.

Time to reassess the family finances. Lots of people get a temporary part time job that goes into the build fund. Or they cut out cable, or carpool, or the kids mow lawns for their spending money. Lots of ways to contribute to the "house fund" if you really try!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

What's driving up the cost of this house:

- Square footage. The average American house is 2000-2400 sf, and this one is not quite 4000 sf . . . and that doesn't include the bonus room. You can't fight math.

- The footprint. The downstairs is relatively simple: A bump-forward for the great room, an indent for the porch; however, the upstairs has lots of ins-and-outs. Those cost big.

- A complicated roofline. You're looking at eight gables /peaks, and those are expensive.

- While porches are cheaper than interior space, they're still far from free -- and you're looking at a huge back porch plus a complicated-to-build seating area on the corner.

- The detailed trim on the exterior will drive the price up.

- An oversized three-car garage is expensive.

- An angled staircase is an expensive choice.

- A large masonry chimney is expensive.

- Built-ins are very expensive. In addition to the standard cabinetry in the kitchen and bathrooms, you also have them in the great room, the office and the dining room. These are driving the price up.

- None of the plumbing is consolidated; rather, it's spread from one end of the house to the other, meaning that the plumbing lines (and labor) will cost a fortune.

- Bathrooms are the most expensive areas in a house. You have an oversized, luxury master bath + 3 full baths + a half bath. This alone will cost more than my first house did.

This is a large, detailed, expensive house -- oh, it's nice, but it's not cheap. Nothing close to this house can be built for $300,000. Sorry to point it out, but you're looking at a very common issue here: Champagne taste, beer budget. Well, actually, your budget isn't too bad -- you can have a nice, middle-class house for that price, but not an oversized luxury estate.

Here's an example of something more affordable -- I know, I know, it probably isn't your taste, but pay attention to what makes it cheaper than the house you're considering. I'm not saying literally, "Hey, this plan is for you!"

http://www.dreamhomesource.com/house-plans/dhs/styles/colonial-house-plans/cape-cod-house-plans/dhsw076565.html

- Note that this house is a rectangle (with a bump-out for the garage downstairs /a bump out for the great room upstairs). This costs much less because the builder doesn't have to make cuts and change his direction -- this saves material and labor. And when you're in the house, you're not going to see and appreciate those bump-outs here and there.

- Note that this roofline is simple. One simple roof, intersected by the garage roof, accented by the three gables. It's not a dull roofline, but it probably costs 1/4-1/3 the complicated roofline you shared.

- Note that the plumbing in the master bath, the laundry room, the half bath, and the upstairs bath are all "clustered" together. This is a huge money saver.

- The square footage is not quite 2400. This is average, moderate, middle-class. I personally live in a 2400 sf house and we have room we never use.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I think Mrs Pete nailed it. The best rule of thumb where I live is to find out from different builders what their price per square foot is and then add 20% of that total and that will give you a good idea of the cost to build a certain houseplan. They are all about the same in my area but as we are within 6-8 weeks of completing our build, I can say that the estimates were right on. Of course, we couldn't have everything we wanted either but I'm just saying, figure out how many square feet you can afford to build and then find a plan within that range. LWO was right when she said you can't take a plan that works beautifully as a whole and chop parts off of it. You might end up having to use an Architect. If it is the Craftsman look you are after, the exterior of any house plan can be easily changed to whatever finishes you want to use to achieve whatever style but it won't be a true Craftsman, architecturally speaking. I'm no architect but the plan you posted is not a Craftsman either, at least what I think a Craftsman house is. If you use that website and look at other plans by the same designer, there are a couple of plans that would be closer to your budget but they are in the mid 2000 sq ft range. Just don't bite off more than you can chew or you won't be able to live life to its fullest with your kids because you will be house poor. Good luck in your search for a house plan. Wish you the best.

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

Sorry that's over your budget, but, honestly, would you go shopping for $600,000 houses if you couldn't afford one? It's the same with building. It takes money to build that big house.

Relative to house building, you probably actually have very few NEEDS. What you have is WANTS. It's probably time to wrap your head around that reality. :) That means you scrap the exercise room, the office becomes a little computer center off the kitchen or a desk in your bedroom, the mudroom gets smaller, the facade is less expensive, the roof less complicated, less porch, maybe three bedrooms, etc.

And four bathrooms and a powder room? No way. Two baths and a powder room.

Good luck!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I was thinking (hoping) there would be some way to lob off some of the house, straighten out the corners, and get the price down.

Making changes to an existing plan aren't as easy as getting a plan that doesn't need it. Look at plans based on the "American Foursquare" because all those changes of angle require extra work and extra money.

That plan has HUGE amounts of unused and unusable space ... look for plans with less hallway length

I ran your plan through a construction cost estimator and it came to 360K ... without interior finish work like cabinets, countertops, bath fixtures, lighting, geothermal, etc. So 450-500K might be the final bill.

You need to get the dreams in line with the budget:
    Sit down and explain to yourself, in WRITING, exactly what problem each of those things would solve for your family, and then order them by what you need the absolute most, or would get the most use of.

A well-designed house

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Geothermal and radiant heating cooling....someone in the know correct me here....but in MI climate you're looking at multiple tens of thousands of dollars....WAY more than granite!

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Michelle, that's the price range up here, too.

Lethargo, I don't think the issue is the plans, but your expectations. If your budget only buys you low end, poorly built houses with lots of problems, why do you think you can build a luxury house with all the bells and whistles for the same or less? The advice to buy an existing house isn't because we think you'll find the perfect house already built. It was suggested because a company that builds thousands of houses a year can do it significantly cheaper than you or I can with our one offs. Getting a builder to do it for you isn't any cheaper.

Have you considered a fixer upper? Buy something that needs work but is livable. Do the work a little at a time as priorities dictate and budget allows?

And you don't need to buy the plan to use it as inspiration. You can show the builder the website to tell them this is the style you like, and you want a mudroom, etc. A designer or architect can start from scratch and incorporate what you need.

But if you can't buy an existing house with your wants because the budget doesn't allow, building isn't going to fix that.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, I understand your points about finding something within budget. I didn't mean to give the impression that the plan shown was a reasonable expectation within our budget-it's not. Also, it's not really what we want or need. It has 4 fireplaces. 4! We could do without all of them! Really that's not what I'm trying to find.

What about this plan? Is it more acceptable?

Here is a link that might be useful: Smaller 4 bdrm

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or this one? Are these closer to where we want to keep our budget?

Here is a link that might be useful: plan

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Only if you increase your budget to 450 to 500k

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I think you have to get to a much smaller plan. What is the average cost per square foot to build in your area? It is difficult in my area to get less than $115/sqft. So, for a 3000sqft house or larger, you are automatically busting your budget without any fine finishes. (And, we don't have basements in our area).

I think you need to be looking at plans around 2400sq ft. Just a hunch.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Here in Northern MI, basic homes (i.e. Junk) are at least $115/sf. Average homes are $140 to $150. Nice are $180 and up. I agree with Kirkhall....if you're set on building, a 2000 to 2200 sq ft home is about what you can expect.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Try using eplans.com. They give you cost to build estimates. Use the upper range of the estimate for mi.

• rrah
    9 years ago

The problem with the first smaller plan you linked is the angled garage and adjoining spaces.

Again, the second plan has 3.5 baths. Bathrooms are expensive. The porch and the two staircases will add significantly to the cost.

Maybe in 1997 that house could have been built for under $300,000 but not today. I say that because I had a neighbor build a similar house in 1997 for just around $300,000.

• voila
    9 years ago

Having had a new home built in the last seven years, a custom home was quoted at over $200.00 a square foot. We did a lot of work ourselves and hired our own subs. Moving back to Florida, we bought a foreclosure that was built in 2002 with over 3100 sq. ft. with an additional 1000+ sq. ft. for an indoor pool, surrounded by 9 sliding glass doors. The entire home is built of stuccoed cement block with tiled roofs. wait for it....for $225,000 in a gated community. Then we redid most of the house ourselves with hired subs. It took us a long time to find, but existing houses will give you a much better deal. Please don't let your home put you into financial difficulty. Do you have a large savings for emergencies, college funds for your children, 401k plans at work that you are active in or an IRA? The best gift you can give yourself is peace of mind. I have not had a mortgage for many years (20) and am 62 and retired. My daughter lost her beautiful dream house that she just had to have, and ended up divorced. Just a reality check.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

I never saw where the 300k included the lot? Look at realtor.com or whatever in your area and look at the houses in your price range and notice what s/f they are. Most internet sites that list houses will let you click and see 'new' houses in your area. See how much your budget will get in your area. Look at what kind of siding those houses have, what kind of inside finishes they have.That would be a good start. You need to get realistic.

This post was edited by robin0919 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 23:00

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

lethargo, the three house plans you linked are quite different from each other . . . Maybe something like the bungalow linked below? You could save up for a future garage to be attached to the house by an enclosed breezeway/mudroom off the side by the flex room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman bungalow

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource