Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
porch railing..what product did you use?

Posted by farmhousegirl (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 21:33

What product did you use for porch ballisters and railings? Wood? Composite? Vinyl? Our GC specified vinyl, but not sure we'd be crazy about that...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: porch railing..what product did you use?

we live about 20 miles from the gulf of mexico in a very humid area and chose not to put railing and ballisters on our southern vernacular farmhouse we're having columns only (porch is only 24 inches high
my grandparents and dh grandparents had no railings or ballisters either (pics from the 30's)
before we made that decision, our builder had quoted for vinyl -- and we have hardy flanked columns our porch is 40 feet across

other family members in other parts of the country have wood and are very happy with it depends a lot on your climate

o

We went with glass railing on our deck. We have a view we didn't want to obscure.

o

Wood, from Vintage Woodworks, who stock an amazing variety of parts and patterns to make a porch that doesn't look like it came from HD or Lowes. Prime and paint (oil enamel) all sides of everything prior to installation-- our porch doesn't yet need repainting after 15 years in New England, and no one would accuse it of having "the look of real vinyl".

o

I've never seen a composite or vinyl railing I would want to sit near although Azek comes closer than the rest.

I often use the prefabricated railings from Woodway Products in cedar or mahogany either painted or stained.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodway Products

o

duplicate

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodway Products

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 19:01

o

Wrought iron

o

"southern vernacular farmhouse"

o

Plain treated wood with paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here