Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need multipoint locks for 8ft tall exterior wood door?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 21:23

I've got to choose hardware for my exterior doors, some glass, others solid wood. The door guys are telling me the doors will warp if I don't use multipoint hardware. Is this true?
I chose the hardware for my interior doors and want something that will correspond with that style, but lever handles will not work with my style. Any suggestions for handles and locks for these doors that are not levers and come in unlacquered brass? thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need multipoint locks for 8ft tall exterior wood door?

You do have to use multipoint locks on an 8' tall door. But they are recommending it for a very good reason and I would strongly advise using it as well. Many of the better door companies will no longer warranty there doors against warping if multipoint is NOT used.

o

That is the answer we got too. We did baldwin estate levers in multipoint for our friends porch door and our french doors and a Baldwin Estate entrance handleset for our front door (the Cody - not multipoint I don't think?).

o

I have a number of 8 foot doors with single latches. Only the french door is a significant problem - they are solid wood entry doors and the sealing is not perfect although there is no warping after 3 years.

Triple is definitely better but you don't have too....We have them at a house in high wind areas and they are great. That area requires triple latch on all doors with glass I think - we have it on a glass 6'8" door (as well as a 8 ft door) but not a solid one. Anyway - they seal great and the security is amazing. Imaging kicking in a door with triple point latches into a steel frame....

Style is one thing - air sealing, longevity and security are another. I honestly think I would do triple point on any exterior door if money wasn't an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here