Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

Beadboard for porch ceiling? Is it okay to use?

farmhousegirl
9 years ago

Hi all,
We are doing a front porch. I like the look of the beadboard ceilings, but worry about maintenance/rot. Is this common to use? Is it the same beadboard that's used in interiors...or something else used on a porch ceiling? I just don't want a plastic looking porch ceiling. How long will it hold up? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Has anyone used Azek beadboard or certainteed?

• jdez
    9 years ago

Don't use the white beadboard from Lowe's. We asked them if it was ok for the exterior and they said yes. We hung about four 4x8 sheets on the porch ceiling and a few days later, the humidity had warped it badly. We took that down and switched to the stuff that is actually made out of wood and it is working fine with no problems. I don't have any pics of that or I would post them.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

We used beadboard on our porch ceiling. It was not wood. I can't remember the brand and neither can dh. The house is 10 yrs old and the beadboard looks like the day it was finished. I do remember that it was reversible and had a different look on the other side.

Not home but will get a pic for you later.

• allen456
    9 years ago

I have the 4x8 sheets on my porch roof, too.

Painted sky blue.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Beaded tongue and groove ceilings have been traditional for porches for well over a hundred years, around here usually painted robin's egg blue. No reason to use sheet goods for this application-- they are a PITA to hang overhead compared to individual boards and the sawdust and glue compositions are really unlikely to stand up as long as actual wood. Assuming that it's out of the weather going to Azek is an unnecessary expense for this.

• hoosierbred
    9 years ago

We used wood tongue and groove beadboard for our front porch ceiling. Our painter stained it and used a marine finish on it so it would withstand the outdoors. We love the look. We are just now completing our build so I can't give you any experience of how well it stands up yet. Here are a couple of pics.

• Christopher Wyant
    3 years ago

How has it held up? It looks great!

• Kris Bgf
    3 years ago

ILoveRed

What exactly did you use in your porch that works great now? Thank you

Also we are going to do beadboard on our screened in porch here in Florida should we use exterior-grade fiberboard or PVCor is there something way better to use as we only want to does this job once. Thank you so much for all the input in advance!

Kristen

Kbgfeldman@gmail.com

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Kris...I would need to call our builders supply to make 100% sure. But I’m 99% sure that it was this product. We had it in the house we sold....15 yrs when sold and looked new.

so we used it in this new house under two porches. It looks great and exactly the same as it did when installed about 2 yrs ago.

https://azekexteriors.com/products/specialty-items/bead-boards/beadboard-sheets

• chrissy47
    2 years ago

I would love to do the azek beadboard on my ceiling in Florida. Does anyone know of a contractor that does this?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"Does anyone know of a contractor that does this?"

Any carpentry type contractor worth his salt should be handle this for you.

• chrissy47
    2 years ago

Thank you but havent had much luck