Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone built with Wayne Homes?

Posted by jmjmommy (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 20:48

Hello! This is my first post and I have read through so many pages of previous posts. I appreciate all of your wisdom and experience.

We found some land that we love and have met with Wayne Homes to look at a few of their floor plans. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them.

Thank you!
Kelly (in Ohio)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone built with Wayne Homes?

Kelly,

I have not, but I have a very close friend who did and all I can say is stay away (we're in Ohio). They took total advantage of my friends because they are clueless about what is supposed to go into a house. They had to sue one of the subcontractors, they have tons of problems with all kinds of things in the house. The warranty is crap because they just keep sending fools out to fix stuff and they just make it worse.

In general you want to stay clear of any of the big builders (MI, Dominion, Wayne, KHov, etc). Find an independent builder with good references. Several people on this board from Ohio who might be able to help you depending on where in the state you are.

o

Kelly,

I could not agree with cork2win more! Do a search on "Schumacher" here in this forum and you will see my experiences with them. We also looked at Wayne Homes, but not for long! I'm also in Ohio - the Columbus/Central Ohio area. What part of the state are you in? An Amish builder is building my house and I could not be happier or recommend him any more enthusiastically. We are now under roof and it has been a wonderful experience to this point and everything in the house has exceeded my expectations for quality and cost. The best thing that ever happened to me was that I walked away from the big production builders in disgust and frustration and found someone who still believes in doing things right and at a fair cost. A friend of mine who does inspections and appraisals on real estate came out and took a look at my builder's work. He poked around everywhere and his assessment - "You picked the right one. He's doing an incredible job for you". Color me a happy camper!

o

Thank you both so much! We are also in Central Ohio. We are on a pretty tight budget and Wayne seemed to be able to build a nice size house for a good price. Obviously that is for a reason. :) Do you mind if I ask about the cost difference between the Amish builder and the big builders?

o

We talked to over 20 different builders - all kinds, from very high end to production builders like Schumacher. We had an architect draw our plans and the quotes ranged from the ridiculously high to the ridiculously low (which had allowances that were very obviously understated to get the job). In the end, after months of frustration and feeling lots of mistrust from what we were being quoted, we contacted the Amish builder on the advice of our neighbors. He had built their house, which was fantastic, but we had heard he was expensive and had a long waiting list just from referrals. He's the one I always wanted, but we feared we couldn't afford him and it would be a long time before he could build our house because he's so busy all the time. Both of those notions were completely false.

He did have a waiting list, but we only waited about 3 months to start. He made GREAT suggestions to our plans that ended up saving us big money without any real sacrifices to the things that were important to us. His bid came in about $100,000 under the high-end builder, with better materials. This house will have everything I wanted and more, but the difference is in the quality of the craftsmanship, which is amazing.

Some of the Amish builders don't build in Franklin or Delaware County because so many of them are in Holmes and Coshocton counties. Luckily, we're building in Knox County, so we're in his "territory". One thing we found really helpful in finding builders that built in our area was to go to the lumber yards in the area and ask for builder references. We went to Keim Lumber in Charm, Oh, because we knew a lot of the Amish builders buy their materials from there and also from Holmes Lumber. They gave us a list of the builders they recommend. It was very helpful because the lumber yards know who does good work and they won't recommend someone who doesn't.

o

Kelly, I'm sure you're realizing that you get what you pay for, and choosing a builder because they can build a big house for the cheapest price is going to get you a big, cheap house. I'd suggest re-evaluating your needs and going with a good quality builder rather than trying to build big and cheap. It's really worth the sacrifice of a den or extra space you really don't need in order to be able to afford a good, quality builder. It's a lifetime investment. Choose carefully.

We chose an Amish builder as well, and while they did a decent job, we still had our problems with them, but I'm sure they were infinitely better than any production builder. Do like mainecoonkitty suggests and stalk the lumber yards in Amish country and see what you can find. Even their worst will be better than Wayne homes.

o

Kelly -

Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with the negative comments in regards to Wayne Homes. We built thru Wayne almost 1 year ago via their Wetern PA office and have been absolutely thrilled with the end result. The inspectors from our borough during the process were very satisfied with every stage of the construction. When you have built 17,000 homes over 30 years, you are bound to have a few dissatisfied buyers - from a mathematical perspective it has to happen!

Our house is pictured on the Wayne Homes website and we have recommended friends and family to them. They use an Amish crew for the foundation, framing, siding and brick phases and we were thrilled every step of the way. For the price you pay over custom construction, the overall result is very much comparable as we interviewed and toured a number of custom homes and, needless to say, were not overwhelmed as we were when we toured the Wayne Homes model.

I would consider them for your new construction. I have nothing but favorable comments as do my neighbors when they tour the house.

Good luck.

o

Kelly ~ do a search (it's at the bottom of the forum page). There have been several previous posts, and you'll find they contain well expressed opinions, both pro and con. Keep aware of the geographical area of the poster... and the comments regarding contracts. As with any large company, there will be some good points (which is why they are a large company) and some bad points. You just need to know which might apply to you.

o

Also keep in mind to research those posting reviews. Someone who registers the same day they just happen to post a review (either good or bad) looks somewhat suspicious.

o

Cork2win -

Unfortunately, I have nothing to lose or gain by posting my personal experience with Wayne Homes. Wayne Homes does not pay me based upon my personal feedback with potential homebuyers.

In your original post above, you mentioned that your very close friend had a bad experience with Wayne and that Wayne was "clueless" about what is supposed to go into a house. Is your friend, in fact, well versed as to what is supposed to go into a house? If they were uncomfortable with any unknowns, why would they not have hired an independant inspector to verify every stage of the construction process? In regards to the warranty, the same warranty and company used by Wayne is the warranty used by 80% or higher of the larger production builders. If they were uncomfortable with the warranty, why would they have not hired an attorney to review the warranty and other contract items? If you are going to spend $250-$300K on a house, wouldn't you hire an attorney to review the information for a few hundred dollars?

Unfortunately, most new homebuyers have absolutely no clue about new construction and are not prepared for the process. Kelly - I have no concerns in regards to Wayne Homes. As with any builder, be that custom or production (what is custom any way - Wayne can modify a model to meet just about any specification and has also begun to build from personal plans) please be sure to do your due diligence beforehand, interview a number of builders for comparison purposes and be sure to have an attorney review the documents and an independant inspector assist with the construction. These are all worthwhile investments for a new homebuyer.

I hope this helps, Kelly!!!!

o

Barry,

As is the case with most production builders, Wayne homes (and many others) take full advantage of the fact that the majority of the people purchasing their homes have NO IDEA what is supposed to go into a home. Most really knowledgeable buyers lean toward true custom builders, or build themselves. Less informed people generally hire production builders because they're well known and are assumed to know what they're doing since they build so many homes.

Lots of people think "Wow, they build lots of houses. Look how pretty the model is. They must really know what they're doing". That's as far as most people go when choosing a builder and we all know it. The people on this board are the exception rather than the rule regarding research and "due diligence".

I don't think my friends were any less informed than the usual homebuyer when they went into their home purchase, they were simply naive and trusting and their particular builder preyed on them. Perhaps they weren't singled out, but in general, production builders build cheap and fast and cut every corner possible in order to increase profit and reduce time, many times at the expense of quality. I'm not saying that my friends shouldn't have done more research but I am saying that these builders know when they're dealing with someone who doesn't know all the ins and outs of building and you can't tell me they don't take advantage of that. It's very much like the home mortgage crisis we're in... banks taking advantage of people who don't know any better. While I believe people *should* take more personal responsibility and know what they're getting themselves into, I also believe that these big companies know darn well what they're doing and do so willingly and happily all in the name of making a buck.

I'm sure the productions builders do an OK job sometimes. Maybe you got a good crew, or an exceptional foreman on your job. That's great. Maybe you know more about what goes into building a house than the usual buyer and you were able to watch them more carefully. Again, kudos. I applaud you. But I don't think your story is the norm.

Why didn't my friends hire an attorney and a personal inspector? Maybe because they thought they were hiring professionals and thought that as a homebuilder, Wayne shouldn't have to be babysat through the building process. Naive? Yes. Negligent? I don't know. They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars (more than they could afford, another story) and the thought of hiring an attorney and independent inspector never entered their minds. Again, I'm sure that's not uncommon.

Perhaps we should address all of these "who should I build with" questions with "how much do you know about building regulations and quality? Are you comfortable performing daily inspections on the work being done by your builder? Are you prepared to hire an attorney and private inspector?". If someone is knowledgeable of these things then I'm sure any builder would be fine as long as you have an airtight contract and can force them to build to your standards and specifications. Since we know that's virtually impossible for most people, my general inclination (and that of many others) is to steer clear of production builders.

Again, I'm glad you had a good experience with them. I'm sure others have too. I just think that too many people are unaware of just how much knowledge they should possess before building and trusting a production builder just because they have name recognition and a good price doesn't necessarily make them a good choice for everyone.

o

I live in NW Ohio and have myself looked into building a Wayne home. I also know 4 other people who have used Wayne Homes. Two of these people had to sue Wayne Homes to have them buy back there house because of very bad mold problems and other poor quality issues. The other two are very happy with their house. What I have found with Wayne Homes is that they are very good priced if you don't make any changes to the plans and you don't upgrade very much. They really make their money on upgrades. Building a new house is too much of a major investment to gamble with builders whose biggest draw is that they can build it the fastest. JMHO

o

"Building a new house is too much of a major investment to gamble with builders whose biggest draw is that they can build it the fastest"

In my area, Wayne Homes, from an overall building time perspective, is right in-line with our other custom/on your lot builders. With the excellent customer service, relationship with the foreman during construction, quality/cost per square foot, Amish construction of 75% of the house, ongoing service for any maintenance issues, and the ease of selections of the various amenities for the house, I would think that these qualities are positive in addition to the "builders whose biggest draw is that they can build it the fastest" comment.

o

If their construction is "75% Amish", then why would you not just find an Amish builder to deal directly with and save yourself the usually exorbitant overhead mark-up?

o

"If their construction is "75% Amish", then why would you not just find an Amish builder to deal directly with and save yourself the usually exorbitant overhead mark-up?"

The mark-up, in fact, is not exorbitant - it is merely standard in the industry.

The benefits of 1)having all of the selection amenities (flooring, cabinets, appliances, shutters, etc) all in 1 showroom, 2)the selection of a number of great floorplans which can be modified to your choosing, 3) the in-house mortgage company, CTX mortgage, which provided a seamless mortgage process compared to outside financing necessary with "custom" (what are they????) builders, and 4) a building process that has been in place for over 35 years, brings about a happy customer like myself. The time that I saved during this process thru Wayne compared to that of other custom builders, enabled me to work in my profession and earn back half of their mark-up. This is a no brainer from my perspective.

o

Sorry Barry, but you obviously know a whole lot of "insider" information about Wayne Homes than your average homeowner. Your credibility deteriorates with each post you make.

o

"insider" information

The only "insider" information you could possibly be referring to is what I think that the mark-up is at Wayne Homes. This was purely based upon reading the financial statements when they were owned by Centex - a publicly traded company on any of the major financial websites - for which everyone has access to this information. Simply look at gross profit margins from the information published on these websites and you can get an idea of what these major builders profit margins are. This was important to me to know this so that I could aggressively negotiate the final cost of the upgrades and options in the house.

Being in the financial industry, I tend to look at the financial backing of a company that I am going to invest (spend) $300,000 on for my house. Wouldn't you?????

Folks, what I am mentioning is nothing special - it is merely knowing who will be building your house and what a fair price of the house is based upon as much knowledge as you can possibly get throughout the process.

I am amazed that people put more time into researching a piece of furniture or an automobile than they do the builder of their house!!!! Do you know what type of negotiation room you have on a car??? Then you should also for a house!!!

wow...I am tired.

o
Knowledge

Knowledge is power...gain it and use it!

o

"The benefits of 1)having all of the selection amenities (flooring, cabinets, appliances, shutters, etc) all in 1 showroom, 2)the selection of a number of great floorplans which can be modified to your choosing, 3) the in-house mortgage company, CTX mortgage, which provided a seamless mortgage process compared to outside financing necessary with "custom" (what are they????) builders, and 4) a building process that has been in place for over 35 years, brings about a happy customer like myself. The time that I saved during this process thru Wayne compared to that of other custom builders, enabled me to work in my profession and earn back half of their mark-up. This is a no brainer from my perspective."

1. All the "selection amenities in one showroom" = limited selection and being forced to settle for what they have.

2.How many is a "great number of floorplans" that can be modified? 10? 100? 1000? Why do I want to settle for a modified floor plan from a limited selection when I can go on-line and find several thousand or go to an architect or house designer and have one drawn to my own wish list?

3. "in house mortgage company" - again, no competition and the supposed "ease" of doing business with them means you may not be getting the best rates or terms. I know this for a fact after talking to Triad Mortgage, who is Schumacher's in-house mortgage company. Their rates for the construction loan were over 1% higher than anyone else and they practically hid their rates until I was very blunt about it. There is also usually some nearly clause in their documantation that provides for a hefty pre-payment penalty to prevent you from refinancing for several years with someone else.

4. The "Amish building process" has been in place for about 200 years, not just 35 and you're dealing directly with the builder when you plan the house, not a salesman who may or may not have any practical building experience. He might have been selling used cars a week ago and he's certainly not going to offer any suggestions to save money because that's cutting into his commission. The salesman I've worked with (3 different ones at one company) all were given bonuses for pushing various upgrades.

"Saved time" = wasted opportunities to get more of what you want by shopping around for competitive costs. This is a no brainer from my prospective.

o

Barry, I would love for you to dissuade me and everyone else on this forum from the notion that this is a sales pitch.

As a customer, you obviously had an over-the-top fantastical experience with Wayne Homes. However, there must have been something you weren't happy with. No company is perfect, and as an objective customer of Wayne Homes I would love to hear a couple of issues that displeased you. So how about it?

o

kellyeng -

True disappointments -

1) Wayne used flat paint for the entire house (not just white but all other colors for the individual rooms) - this was in the contract, however, I must have missed this. When I discovered this and mentioned my frustration to the project manager, they repainted the entire house with 2 coats of Semi-gloss/Satin dependant upon the room and our choice at NO COST. Most "custom" builders in our area, assuming they paint the house, only use flat paint.

2) Since we have been there we have only had 2 nail pops from the drywall - they wait for one year and then they come back to address the issue. Unfortunately, they do not paint the areas, rather, we have to do this. A minor issue, but nonetheless, an issue.

This is truly our only issues to date. As I mentioned, I feel that we were and have been treated extremely fairly and had an excellent project manager. Based upon my house, I cannot say anything but positives for Wayne Homes. I am a very satisfied buyer - I would hope so - the end cost was about $300K. A similar "custom" home would be around $360K but I cannot justify the other $60K because we toured custom homes and there are no major differences that I see.

kelly, if you have any additional questions, please let me know and I will provide you my honest opinion.

o

Barry, while I personally got the same impression from your posts as Kelly, I do try to hear both sides of every story. It seems you had a wonderful experience with Wayne, but it also seems to not be the norm. I Googled Wayne homes and got quite a few hits-most connected to Centex. This is what I got:

"Wayne Homes Case Study
Wayne Homes is a subsidiary of Centex Homes, a leading residential builder in America."

So then I went to rateyourbuilder.com where you can find ratings, by customers, of most of the major National builders. Wayne was not listed (unusual for a company of it's size), but Centex is-the highest rating I've ever seen for them was in the 6s out of 10. For the record- I am not anti-national builder. Sometimes, due to circumstances and time constraints, custom building is not an option. My husband and I are planning a build within a couple of years, but right now we live in a David Weekley home. Weekley's ratings are consistently in the 9s, and deservedly so based on our experience. Now, I will add that my husband is a contractor and as picky as they come-enough said. I'm amazed our project manager put up with him so patiently! Speaking to our local building inspector, we heard all the horror stories about many of the National company homes he inspected, Centex included. Just count yourself among the lucky ones. To say the people on this forum don't check out their builders is truly mis-speaking. This is probably the most savvy group of home builders and the most generous with the knowledge they've amassed that you'll find anywhere

o

1. All the "selection amenities in one showroom" = limited selection and being forced to settle for what they have.

The selections are ideal for most buyers. If you are looking for "custom everything" why in the world would you have even considered Schumacher? Hmmm......

2.How many is a "great number of floorplans" that can be modified? 10? 100? 1000? Why do I want to settle for a modified floor plan from a limited selection when I can go on-line and find several thousand or go to an architect or house designer and have one drawn to my own wish list?

I would think that 30 would be fine for most folks. We loved the one model on-line and being that Wayne has been building that same model for years, you are guaranteed a product that has no "what-ifs". Again, you knew that Schumacher only offered a limited number of floor plans, why would you waste your time? Hmmm......

3. "in house mortgage company" - again, no competition and the supposed "ease" of doing business with them means you may not be getting the best rates or terms. I know this for a fact after talking to Triad Mortgage, who is Schumacher's in-house mortgage company. Their rates for the construction loan were over 1% higher than anyone else and they practically hid their rates until I was very blunt about it. There is also usually some nearly clause in their documantation that provides for a hefty pre-payment penalty to prevent you from refinancing for several years with someone else.

I compared their closing costs with 4 of my mortgage brokers who are clients. CTX's fees were on average $350.00 higher - for the convenience - I think I'll pay this minor extra premium.

There were no prepayment penalties as we refinanced within 6 months to lower our interest rate when the Fed began cutting rates in early 2008. Don't blame all of Schumachers shortcomings on being comparable to Wayne - not even close. You sound disgruntled? Again, hmmm.......

4. The "Amish building process" has been in place for about 200 years, not just 35 and you're dealing directly with the builder when you plan the house, not a salesman who may or may not have any practical building experience. He might have been selling used cars a week ago and he's certainly not going to offer any suggestions to save money because that's cutting into his commission. The salesman I've worked with (3 different ones at one company) all were given bonuses for pushing various upgrades.

Our project foreman had his own construction company for 10 years prior to joining Wayne and had been a foreman with Wayne for 15 years. Again, maybe Schumacher employed car salesman, but not Wayne. Again, hmmm.......

I'll take Wayne who has been buildng homes for at least 35 years over a custom builder who has been building for 3 any day.

Don't be disgruntled because your "amish" workers charged you a premium for a "custom" (what is that???) house. I'll take my Wayne Home any day for the many, many, many reasons identified above.

"workers paid bonues for upgrades" - this compensation method is paid in just about every sales-type industry. Why is it not acceptable in the homebuilding industry? Again, hmmm......

"Saved time" = wasted opportunities to get more of what you want by shopping around for competitive costs. This is a no brainer from my prospective.

I'll save time by choosing Wayne and continue to bill my clients at a higher hourly rate than what I am saving by "shopping around". Thanks.

o

you keep asking "what IS that?" as regards a custom home. If you don't know the answer to that, then I must respectfully suggest that the homes you viewed were not truly custom. And no, 30 plans isn't near enough for my family to look at. I really feel that kellyeng hit the nail on the head with her first post

o

Well Barry I gave you a great opportunity to actually sound like a real homeowner/customer of Wayne Homes and you failed miserably.

Your posts are officially spam.

o

kellyeng -

You are a great person. Hmmm....

o

A huge chunk of a builders reputation, production or otherwise, stems from the people around them. This includes subs,employees,(foreman/supervisors, laborers, clerical,etc.),suppliers, financial, everyone involved with a build. I think the nationwide builders reputation is at the mercy of the people in that region. Wayne's homes appearently works in barry's world, but might not be the case in another region where they do business.

o

Thanks to all of those who posted. Wayne Homes does not fit every type of buyer. However, for those who want a solid house, solid floor plans, solid customer service and an overall sense of satisfaction with the end result, then Wayne Homes would be suitable for that type of buyer.

I wish everyone continued enjoyment with their existing homes and those undergoing construction now and in the future.

o

Barry - your posts are not believable. Sorry if you are just one satisfied customer - you come off as an employee of Wayne Homes.

o

David -

I guess even a blind squirrel finds a good nut on occasion.

o

I am currently building with Wayne Homes and I absolutely agree with BarryBarry 2008. My home is not yet finished but it is moving along smoothly. I decided to build after looking into buying and not liking any of the homes I viewed. My realtor, who came from the construtction industry, went with me to all of the meetings and have been with me all along the way. Also, my parents who are very knowledgeable in building homes as they have built 2, my brothers who have both built and my aunt who just recently built, have also been helping me a great deal with this process. They said they wished their processes were as organized and outlined as mine.

I am a 27 year old, single, female bulding a home on my own...no knowledge of building a home prior to my current experience, but I must say that I now feel very knowledgeable in the whole process because of the hand holding from Wayne Homes.

I love the convenience of having the showroom in one location, please note, you can also make other choices outside of the choices there.

I loved the portfolio of the different steps of the process, so that you knew what to expect next.

I felt that the floor plans were great! And I changed mine significantly, without much change in cost.

The employees of Wayne Homes are also great people as they have called me with places to get appliances, congrats on my dig date and just other little FYIs throughout my process.

Also the foundation, framing and roofing, done by Amish builders, but I didnt have to go out and find them on my own...LOVED THAT!

My field manager is great! He calls me every step of the way and even sends me pictures via text messaging when something new has happened.

I have my first walkthrough with the electrician this Friday and I am extremely excited to see my new house!

I will say that I think some of the experiences that others are having may be specifically related to one particular location of Wayne Homes as I have also heard a complaint about a particular office. But my location is great!

Kelly you can feel free to contact me via email with any questions or concerns seriously. Because I would want you to make a wise choice and not a choice based on other people's opinions of what they 'heard' from someone else.

As you see, the two people on here who did build with Wayne Homes had positive things to say...so just keep that in mind.

I hope this helped you out...I know it is long...LOL.

:) Tiffany

o

hmmmmm...

Tiffany! And all those exclamation points!
Registers just to post this!

seems fishy to me...

o

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

The fog...it's so thick that I can barely see....

Okay: two questions for the Wayne Home people:

What does being Amish have to do with anything? The term 'Amish' is actually a copyrighted term that is NOT owned by the people who use the name in a religious conotation. That's why, when you drive through Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio, you see all the 'Amish Furniture' signs. Secondly, the Amish people here (of the religious type), are truly, truly awful builders. No one will hire them because they don't believe in things like levels. Or squares. Certainly not something like a laser level.

Secondly, can you describe their methods for preventing water intrusion, rain screens, and energy effeciency....particularly in regards to blower-door testing?

Thanks.

o

I didn't say "stone age cavemen". And you apparently know very little about modern Amish builders. They don't use levels? When I first brought my builder to my home site, the very first thing he did was get out a surveyor's laser to size up the sight lines and to get a feel for the topography of the land. He was able to compute the required fall for my walk-out basement and give me options on where the best spot was to situate the house.

Guess what? They use power tools too. I'm sure that's a big surprize to someone who thinks they still draw their plans with charcoal stubs on pieces of tree bark.

Let me give you some facts about the Amish because not only did they build my house, they're also my neighbors and have become my friends in this area that I live in. They do not have electricity in their homes, not because they don't believe in using it - they don't believe in attaching themselves to the electric grid. They believe in being apart from the world and running wires from a public source attaches them to the "English" world in a way that their faith doesn't allow. But here's a shocker - they use both generators and battery-powered tools because there's no grid to attach themselves to. So they have no problem at all with using electricity as long as it's not connected to their homes in some way. When they built my house, the power source was either a generator or later on, the power line connected to my house.

They apparently live in caves too, so you think they don't know anything about modern building materials. Wrong again. My builder reccommended materials to me that I hadn't even heard of yet and installed them perfectly. He knew all about the latest plumbing, electricity, moisture barriers, you name it. He made good suggestions and made sure there was no waste on the job site. How he estimated so accurately without using a ruler and a pencil I guess I'll never know! I guess you must think they still use notched sticks and strings tied with knots to measure.

BTW...the electrician who wired my house for satelite internet, DirecTV, a whole house back-up generator, and a complex home theater system and wireless whole house music system operated by a single remote control was Amish too.

Excuse my defensive tone, but like many, you're lumping Amish craftsman into the same old tired stereotypes. Not all of them are great builders; but not all of them are country bumpkins either. I live on 8 acres with Amish farms all around me. I have come to love their simple and direct ways and respect them for their beliefs. They are strong, honest, hard-working people who give a fair day's work and live "green" - not because it's trendy, but because they're frugal and do not waste anything. The farmer and his family who live to one side of us invite my husband and I to supper frequently and their children come over to see our Harleys. I have never had better neighbors.

Oh...and if you're thinking of getting in touch with an Amish builder, you can probably get his number easily because they DO use cell phones in their business. They just don't keep wired phone lines in their houses. Most Amish businesses have a "Phone Shed" where they keep their cell phones after the business day is over. And they even ride in cars and trucks; they just don't drive them.

o

I absolutely agree that being Amish does not qualify you as a crafted tradesman as the proof is in the details and the finished product.

However, during our build with Wayne, the Amish crews were absolutely respectful, diligent and always focused on their work and continuously thanked us for giving them the work when the economy was struggling. In addition, you could guarantee that they would be out at the site early and leave late.

Compare this to some of the non-Amish subs who were taking personal calls on cell phones, never thanking us for the work, showing up at the site at odd times, etc.

Thus, sure, we all know that being of a certain denomination does not qualify one as being good. However, for those Amish crews that worked on my house, I am truly thankful for the respect and hard work they put into my project.

o

"Excuse my defensive tone, but like many, you're lumping Amish craftsman into the same old tired stereotypes. "

No; I'm saying that they shouldn't all be lumped into the old stereotype of great craftsman. They aren't.

o

Perhaps you should read the WHOLE sentence as I wrote it:

"Excuse my defensive tone, but like many, you're lumping Amish craftsman into the same old tired stereotypes. Not all of them are great builders; but not all of them are country bumpkins either."

o

Mainecoonkitty:

Don't get all defensive because we have a few Wayne Homes supporters on the forum.

We all know how great your "CUSTOM AMISH HOME" is, but just relax a little and enjoy yourself on the site!

o

LOL! Hey..to each his/her own. Just as you are being "honest" when you state how wonderful your experience with building was with Wayne Homes, I am being honest with my experiences with my builder and some of the corporate builders when someone asks for an opinion.

If you like what you got for your money, I'm really happy for you. It's all about personal choice, otherwise we'd all be living in the same house in the same neighborhood.

o

I feel the same about the Amish as you do, mainecoonkitty. Thanks for a great post!

o

P.S. western_pa_luann and mainecoonkitty. I put the exclamation points because I WANTED TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Huh?

o

A comment was made concerning my exclamation points! I put them to make a point! Thus the meaning of the name exclamation POINT!

I only joined this site to help out someone who actually wanted to know some information about Wayne Homes. The Wayne Homes office that I went to has been great, although as I stated before there are some offices that I HEARD <-(what people on here like to do) were not as efficient and well organized and who did not do such a great job I guess.

I can only speak on MY EXPERIENCE! 1ST HAND TO BE CLEAR! I am not someone on here to tell you what I HEARD from someone else, but rather to tell whoever wanted more information about Wayne Homes, my thoughts concerning, MY HANDS ON EXPERIENCE with them PERSONALLY! How can someone make a comment about something they never themselves have experienced? That just doesn't make any sense to me and hopefully not to anyone else on here looking for REAL answers. I would suggest that you do research on the office that you would be actually using. You cannot stereotype EVERY office to what someone HEARD...and not experienced, from friends, relatives, babies daddies, whoever...anyways, I am done on this post as there are people on here making rude comments who have no idea what they are talking about because they are going on hear say...

I would like to tell Kelly (in Ohio), I too am in Ohio, that my experience was/is good (my house isn't done yet :D - keys in April).

JUST AN FYI:

*Offices that I know are good:
Portage
Ashland

*Offices that I HEARD are not so good:
Ashtabula

o

No.
I build Crest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

o

I am so sorry that I did not see this web site BEFORE I built with Wayne Homes. I live in Virginia, and the Wayne Homes office that built my home went defunct during the building process of my home.
LIARS and SNEAKS! They used blackboard to frame out my house instead of wood panels. It is nothing more than thick cardboard, so if you go to nail anything into your house, forget it! Because of this, my shutters keep falling off.
Other issues with the home include badly scratched tubs, warped floors, warped window frames which have caused the windows to fail, inferior lumber used for decks with deep scrapes and chunks of wood missing, all cement flooring has severe cracking issues, and those are just a few of the things about my "dream home".
A rep from Wayne Homes came here any photographed all the things I complained about, and the response was..."Yes, I see where this can be frustrating to you, but these issues you have are ALL within our margin for error".
I felt like smashing his head against a wall. $250,000 for this house, and I can never sell it. KEEP AWAY FROM CENTEX,PULTE AND WAYNE HOMES

o

YES.THEY SUCK!!!

o

Yes we built with wayne homes and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!!! our house is seven years old, the roof leaks, called wayne homes got the sorry for your luck story!, same with the uneven floors, the drywall is literally cracking everywhere, some corners have a one inch gap, if you ever get to Shelby Ohio look me up I will be glad to show you this piece of crap they call a house!!!, basement floor is also cracking badly as is our brick walls.STAY AWAY FROM THESE CLOWNS!

o

I had a Wayne Home Built in 2005 central Ohio out of the Ashland OH office - and NEVER would I have a Wayne Home built again. They don't stand behind the issues in the house when they happen. They plain don't know anything about building a house. If you have a perfect piece of land, they MIGHT and very small MIGHT be able to build a good house. But, if you have any problems with your land, they DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. If anyone is considering having Wayne Home build a house, I do not recommend them at all. They are cheaper for a reason....
Thank you...

o

Yes, My husband and I built an Alexandria last summer, and customized it to fit our lifestyle. We love it. I would recommed them to anyone. We dealt with the Sandusky sales center, and are very happy. We live in a very nice neighborhood filled with large homes and our home fits right into this community. Wayne Homes is building another house right next to our home.
I'm sure you will find good and bad with any builder. We were going to build in a golf course community in Norwalk, we had our plans approved by their review board. But a contractor, who lived in that community, started bad mouthing Wayne Homes. How unprofessional is that? He was invited to look through the Wayne Homes models and to look at our plans but he refused. That contractor had the community so stirred up, we backed out of the deal. Who wants to live in a community like that? I guess he wanted to be the only builder in that development.
In the past year of dealing with Wayne Homes they never bad mouthed any other builder. I feel they are honest and above board. We have a very nice home and hope to be here for a long time.

o

My wife and I built a custom Alexandria with Wayne in 2008. We love our home but have several issues. We still have un-fixed warranty issues that Wayne has had on their list for 2 years now. it usually requires multiple visits to get anything fixed.

Our 2nd issue began last year when Wayne built a nearly identical home right next door to us. Our custom cabinetry work in the kitchen ended up in this home as well. Wayne places all of the blame on our new neighbors and takes no responsibility.

We will never recommend building with Wayne as they were not concerned about making sure that they were taking care of an existing customer.

o

My husband and I spend many Sundays looking through model homes for fun. We have built a few homes in our life together, and when you do that as well as compare builders by looking through their models,and speaking to people who have built with them, you gain a working knowledge of what is quality and what isn't. You also develop an ability to ferret out whether or not the builder will stand behind their work. Once Barrybarry said Wayne homes was once Centex that told me all I needed to know. The quality was lousy then and I'm sure it hasn't improved. Cheaply built and the price reflected the quality. I'll keep looking thank you all.

o

Dear rbkmac:

We appreciate your honesty in sharing your perceptions. It sounds like you are experienced in building a custom home and value having the most accurate information. We respect and encourage that. To clarify, Wayne Homes has been in business for 40 years. We did sell to Centex in 1998, but purchased the company back in 2007. We take our commitment to quality and creating an exceptional experience for our customers seriously, and are happy to report that 9 out of 10 of our customers would refer us to a friend. We invite you to visit one of our Model Home Centers and experience our quality, read our homeowner testimonials to find out more about our commitment to customer satisfaction, and contact us by Live Chat or at (866) 253-6807 to ask any questions. You can also see how real Wayne Homes customers feel about their home on our Facebook page. We believe that all of our customers should have the most accurate information when choosing a builder. We hope this provides you with a clearer picture of who we are and that you will reconsider getting to know us. We look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,
Wayne Homes
www.waynehomes.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Homes

o

we built our home in PA 5 years ago with wayne homes, we have a terrible mold issue in our kitchen, dining area and also all 3 bedrooms. We contacted the company before our warranty was up and their solution was to crack a window in the middle of zero degree weather to compansate for the humidity. We payed over 180,000 for our new home i didn't feel this was really something we should have to deal with.5 years later we are still dealing with the mold i am afraid it will start affected the health of my family. can anyone out there give me some advice, how would i go about them taking care of this even though the warranty has expired

o

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to post their experiences with Wayne Homes, it probably saved us from making a big mistake. It was really obvious who was reputable and who was not.
Thank you.
We are in Northwest Ohio, anyone out there have anyone they would like to recommend? We really liked the layout of the Litchfield with a few minor changes and will more than likely be using that as a guide for someone other than Wayne Homes to build. Again, thank you.

o

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to post their experiences with Wayne Homes, it probably saved us from making a big mistake. It was really obvious who was reputable and who was not.
Thank you.
We are in Northwest Ohio, anyone out there have anyone they would like to recommend? We really liked the layout of the Litchfield with a few minor changes and will more than likely be using that as a guide for someone other than Wayne Homes to build. Again, thank you.

o

I just spen 5 hours with my attorney and their attorneys at mediation session. I signed off on my house in 2003 - their had been some water problems which they promised they would fix. Guess what - my basement still leaks and after those five hours of going back and forth with offers I ended up with an amount to pay the attorney and maybe $3500. dollars to dig up my whole foundation and redo the inferior drain tile and waterproofing. The only ones that came out ahead on this was the attorneys. I did not want to go further as what ever I would get would go for attorney fees and court costs and would still have to pay for the job myself. My advice to you is to STAY CLEAR OF WAYNE HOMES.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here