Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmjmommy

Has anyone built with Wayne Homes?

jmjmommy
15 years ago

Hello! This is my first post and I have read through so many pages of previous posts. I appreciate all of your wisdom and experience.

We found some land that we love and have met with Wayne Homes to look at a few of their floor plans. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them.

Thank you!

Kelly (in Ohio)

Comments (70)

• pattiem93
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Barry, while I personally got the same impression from your posts as Kelly, I do try to hear both sides of every story. It seems you had a wonderful experience with Wayne, but it also seems to not be the norm. I Googled Wayne homes and got quite a few hits-most connected to Centex. This is what I got:

"Wayne Homes Case Study
    Wayne Homes is a subsidiary of Centex Homes, a leading residential builder in America."

So then I went to rateyourbuilder.com where you can find ratings, by customers, of most of the major National builders. Wayne was not listed (unusual for a company of it's size), but Centex is-the highest rating I've ever seen for them was in the 6s out of 10. For the record- I am not anti-national builder. Sometimes, due to circumstances and time constraints, custom building is not an option. My husband and I are planning a build within a couple of years, but right now we live in a David Weekley home. Weekley's ratings are consistently in the 9s, and deservedly so based on our experience. Now, I will add that my husband is a contractor and as picky as they come-enough said. I'm amazed our project manager put up with him so patiently! Speaking to our local building inspector, we heard all the horror stories about many of the National company homes he inspected, Centex included. Just count yourself among the lucky ones. To say the people on this forum don't check out their builders is truly mis-speaking. This is probably the most savvy group of home builders and the most generous with the knowledge they've amassed that you'll find anywhere

• barrybarry_2008
    15 years ago

1. All the "selection amenities in one showroom" = limited selection and being forced to settle for what they have.

The selections are ideal for most buyers. If you are looking for "custom everything" why in the world would you have even considered Schumacher? Hmmm......

2.How many is a "great number of floorplans" that can be modified? 10? 100? 1000? Why do I want to settle for a modified floor plan from a limited selection when I can go on-line and find several thousand or go to an architect or house designer and have one drawn to my own wish list?

I would think that 30 would be fine for most folks. We loved the one model on-line and being that Wayne has been building that same model for years, you are guaranteed a product that has no "what-ifs". Again, you knew that Schumacher only offered a limited number of floor plans, why would you waste your time? Hmmm......

3. "in house mortgage company" - again, no competition and the supposed "ease" of doing business with them means you may not be getting the best rates or terms. I know this for a fact after talking to Triad Mortgage, who is Schumacher's in-house mortgage company. Their rates for the construction loan were over 1% higher than anyone else and they practically hid their rates until I was very blunt about it. There is also usually some nearly clause in their documantation that provides for a hefty pre-payment penalty to prevent you from refinancing for several years with someone else.

I compared their closing costs with 4 of my mortgage brokers who are clients. CTX's fees were on average $350.00 higher - for the convenience - I think I'll pay this minor extra premium.

There were no prepayment penalties as we refinanced within 6 months to lower our interest rate when the Fed began cutting rates in early 2008. Don't blame all of Schumachers shortcomings on being comparable to Wayne - not even close. You sound disgruntled? Again, hmmm.......

4. The "Amish building process" has been in place for about 200 years, not just 35 and you're dealing directly with the builder when you plan the house, not a salesman who may or may not have any practical building experience. He might have been selling used cars a week ago and he's certainly not going to offer any suggestions to save money because that's cutting into his commission. The salesman I've worked with (3 different ones at one company) all were given bonuses for pushing various upgrades.

Our project foreman had his own construction company for 10 years prior to joining Wayne and had been a foreman with Wayne for 15 years. Again, maybe Schumacher employed car salesman, but not Wayne. Again, hmmm.......

I'll take Wayne who has been buildng homes for at least 35 years over a custom builder who has been building for 3 any day.

Don't be disgruntled because your "amish" workers charged you a premium for a "custom" (what is that???) house. I'll take my Wayne Home any day for the many, many, many reasons identified above.

"workers paid bonues for upgrades" - this compensation method is paid in just about every sales-type industry. Why is it not acceptable in the homebuilding industry? Again, hmmm......

"Saved time" = wasted opportunities to get more of what you want by shopping around for competitive costs. This is a no brainer from my prospective.

I'll save time by choosing Wayne and continue to bill my clients at a higher hourly rate than what I am saving by "shopping around". Thanks.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

you keep asking "what IS that?" as regards a custom home. If you don't know the answer to that, then I must respectfully suggest that the homes you viewed were not truly custom. And no, 30 plans isn't near enough for my family to look at. I really feel that kellyeng hit the nail on the head with her first post

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Well Barry I gave you a great opportunity to actually sound like a real homeowner/customer of Wayne Homes and you failed miserably.

Your posts are officially spam.

• barrybarry_2008
    15 years ago

kellyeng -

You are a great person. Hmmm....

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

A huge chunk of a builders reputation, production or otherwise, stems from the people around them. This includes subs,employees,(foreman/supervisors, laborers, clerical,etc.),suppliers, financial, everyone involved with a build. I think the nationwide builders reputation is at the mercy of the people in that region. Wayne's homes appearently works in barry's world, but might not be the case in another region where they do business.

• barrybarry_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks to all of those who posted. Wayne Homes does not fit every type of buyer. However, for those who want a solid house, solid floor plans, solid customer service and an overall sense of satisfaction with the end result, then Wayne Homes would be suitable for that type of buyer.

I wish everyone continued enjoyment with their existing homes and those undergoing construction now and in the future.

• david_cary
    15 years ago

Barry - your posts are not believable. Sorry if you are just one satisfied customer - you come off as an employee of Wayne Homes.

• barrybarry_2008
    15 years ago

David -

I guess even a blind squirrel finds a good nut on occasion.

• awethentic
    15 years ago

I am currently building with Wayne Homes and I absolutely agree with BarryBarry 2008. My home is not yet finished but it is moving along smoothly. I decided to build after looking into buying and not liking any of the homes I viewed. My realtor, who came from the construtction industry, went with me to all of the meetings and have been with me all along the way. Also, my parents who are very knowledgeable in building homes as they have built 2, my brothers who have both built and my aunt who just recently built, have also been helping me a great deal with this process. They said they wished their processes were as organized and outlined as mine.

I am a 27 year old, single, female bulding a home on my own...no knowledge of building a home prior to my current experience, but I must say that I now feel very knowledgeable in the whole process because of the hand holding from Wayne Homes.

I love the convenience of having the showroom in one location, please note, you can also make other choices outside of the choices there.

I loved the portfolio of the different steps of the process, so that you knew what to expect next.

I felt that the floor plans were great! And I changed mine significantly, without much change in cost.

The employees of Wayne Homes are also great people as they have called me with places to get appliances, congrats on my dig date and just other little FYIs throughout my process.

Also the foundation, framing and roofing, done by Amish builders, but I didnt have to go out and find them on my own...LOVED THAT!

My field manager is great! He calls me every step of the way and even sends me pictures via text messaging when something new has happened.

I have my first walkthrough with the electrician this Friday and I am extremely excited to see my new house!

I will say that I think some of the experiences that others are having may be specifically related to one particular location of Wayne Homes as I have also heard a complaint about a particular office. But my location is great!

Kelly you can feel free to contact me via email with any questions or concerns seriously. Because I would want you to make a wise choice and not a choice based on other people's opinions of what they 'heard' from someone else.

As you see, the two people on here who did build with Wayne Homes had positive things to say...so just keep that in mind.

I hope this helped you out...I know it is long...LOL.

:) Tiffany

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

hmmmmm...

Tiffany! And all those exclamation points!
    Registers just to post this!

seems fishy to me...

• mainecoonkitty
    15 years ago

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

The fog...it's so thick that I can barely see....

Okay: two questions for the Wayne Home people:

What does being Amish have to do with anything? The term 'Amish' is actually a copyrighted term that is NOT owned by the people who use the name in a religious conotation. That's why, when you drive through Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Ohio, you see all the 'Amish Furniture' signs. Secondly, the Amish people here (of the religious type), are truly, truly awful builders. No one will hire them because they don't believe in things like levels. Or squares. Certainly not something like a laser level.

Secondly, can you describe their methods for preventing water intrusion, rain screens, and energy effeciency....particularly in regards to blower-door testing?

Thanks.

• mainecoonkitty
    15 years ago

I didn't say "stone age cavemen". And you apparently know very little about modern Amish builders. They don't use levels? When I first brought my builder to my home site, the very first thing he did was get out a surveyor's laser to size up the sight lines and to get a feel for the topography of the land. He was able to compute the required fall for my walk-out basement and give me options on where the best spot was to situate the house.

Guess what? They use power tools too. I'm sure that's a big surprize to someone who thinks they still draw their plans with charcoal stubs on pieces of tree bark.

Let me give you some facts about the Amish because not only did they build my house, they're also my neighbors and have become my friends in this area that I live in. They do not have electricity in their homes, not because they don't believe in using it - they don't believe in attaching themselves to the electric grid. They believe in being apart from the world and running wires from a public source attaches them to the "English" world in a way that their faith doesn't allow. But here's a shocker - they use both generators and battery-powered tools because there's no grid to attach themselves to. So they have no problem at all with using electricity as long as it's not connected to their homes in some way. When they built my house, the power source was either a generator or later on, the power line connected to my house.

They apparently live in caves too, so you think they don't know anything about modern building materials. Wrong again. My builder reccommended materials to me that I hadn't even heard of yet and installed them perfectly. He knew all about the latest plumbing, electricity, moisture barriers, you name it. He made good suggestions and made sure there was no waste on the job site. How he estimated so accurately without using a ruler and a pencil I guess I'll never know! I guess you must think they still use notched sticks and strings tied with knots to measure.

BTW...the electrician who wired my house for satelite internet, DirecTV, a whole house back-up generator, and a complex home theater system and wireless whole house music system operated by a single remote control was Amish too.

Excuse my defensive tone, but like many, you're lumping Amish craftsman into the same old tired stereotypes. Not all of them are great builders; but not all of them are country bumpkins either. I live on 8 acres with Amish farms all around me. I have come to love their simple and direct ways and respect them for their beliefs. They are strong, honest, hard-working people who give a fair day's work and live "green" - not because it's trendy, but because they're frugal and do not waste anything. The farmer and his family who live to one side of us invite my husband and I to supper frequently and their children come over to see our Harleys. I have never had better neighbors.

Oh...and if you're thinking of getting in touch with an Amish builder, you can probably get his number easily because they DO use cell phones in their business. They just don't keep wired phone lines in their houses. Most Amish businesses have a "Phone Shed" where they keep their cell phones after the business day is over. And they even ride in cars and trucks; they just don't drive them.

• barrybarry_2008
    15 years ago

I absolutely agree that being Amish does not qualify you as a crafted tradesman as the proof is in the details and the finished product.

However, during our build with Wayne, the Amish crews were absolutely respectful, diligent and always focused on their work and continuously thanked us for giving them the work when the economy was struggling. In addition, you could guarantee that they would be out at the site early and leave late.

Compare this to some of the non-Amish subs who were taking personal calls on cell phones, never thanking us for the work, showing up at the site at odd times, etc.

Thus, sure, we all know that being of a certain denomination does not qualify one as being good. However, for those Amish crews that worked on my house, I am truly thankful for the respect and hard work they put into my project.

• jasonmi7
    15 years ago

"Excuse my defensive tone, but like many, you're lumping Amish craftsman into the same old tired stereotypes. "

No; I'm saying that they shouldn't all be lumped into the old stereotype of great craftsman. They aren't.

• mainecoonkitty
    15 years ago

Perhaps you should read the WHOLE sentence as I wrote it:

"Excuse my defensive tone, but like many, you're lumping Amish craftsman into the same old tired stereotypes. Not all of them are great builders; but not all of them are country bumpkins either."

• barrybarry_2008
    15 years ago

Mainecoonkitty:

Don't get all defensive because we have a few Wayne Homes supporters on the forum.

We all know how great your "CUSTOM AMISH HOME" is, but just relax a little and enjoy yourself on the site!

• mainecoonkitty
    15 years ago

LOL! Hey..to each his/her own. Just as you are being "honest" when you state how wonderful your experience with building was with Wayne Homes, I am being honest with my experiences with my builder and some of the corporate builders when someone asks for an opinion.

If you like what you got for your money, I'm really happy for you. It's all about personal choice, otherwise we'd all be living in the same house in the same neighborhood.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

I feel the same about the Amish as you do, mainecoonkitty. Thanks for a great post!

• awethentic
    15 years ago

P.S. western_pa_luann and mainecoonkitty. I put the exclamation points because I WANTED TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mainecoonkitty
    15 years ago

Huh?

• awethentic
    15 years ago

A comment was made concerning my exclamation points! I put them to make a point! Thus the meaning of the name exclamation POINT!

I only joined this site to help out someone who actually wanted to know some information about Wayne Homes. The Wayne Homes office that I went to has been great, although as I stated before there are some offices that I HEARD I can only speak on MY EXPERIENCE! 1ST HAND TO BE CLEAR! I am not someone on here to tell you what I HEARD from someone else, but rather to tell whoever wanted more information about Wayne Homes, my thoughts concerning, MY HANDS ON EXPERIENCE with them PERSONALLY! How can someone make a comment about something they never themselves have experienced? That just doesn't make any sense to me and hopefully not to anyone else on here looking for REAL answers. I would suggest that you do research on the office that you would be actually using. You cannot stereotype EVERY office to what someone HEARD...and not experienced, from friends, relatives, babies daddies, whoever...anyways, I am done on this post as there are people on here making rude comments who have no idea what they are talking about because they are going on hear say...

I would like to tell Kelly (in Ohio), I too am in Ohio, that my experience was/is good (my house isn't done yet :D - keys in April).

JUST AN FYI:

*Offices that I know are good:
    Portage
    Ashland

*Offices that I HEARD are not so good:
    Ashtabula

• robert.modular
    15 years ago

No.
    I build Crest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

• MisterRavenswood_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I am so sorry that I did not see this web site BEFORE I built with Wayne Homes. I live in Virginia, and the Wayne Homes office that built my home went defunct during the building process of my home.
    LIARS and SNEAKS! They used blackboard to frame out my house instead of wood panels. It is nothing more than thick cardboard, so if you go to nail anything into your house, forget it! Because of this, my shutters keep falling off.
    Other issues with the home include badly scratched tubs, warped floors, warped window frames which have caused the windows to fail, inferior lumber used for decks with deep scrapes and chunks of wood missing, all cement flooring has severe cracking issues, and those are just a few of the things about my "dream home".
    A rep from Wayne Homes came here any photographed all the things I complained about, and the response was..."Yes, I see where this can be frustrating to you, but these issues you have are ALL within our margin for error".
    I felt like smashing his head against a wall. $250,000 for this house, and I can never sell it. KEEP AWAY FROM CENTEX,PULTE AND WAYNE HOMES

• mikerob68_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

YES.THEY SUCK!!!

• hshasky_neo_rr_com
    13 years ago

Yes we built with wayne homes and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE!!!! our house is seven years old, the roof leaks, called wayne homes got the sorry for your luck story!, same with the uneven floors, the drywall is literally cracking everywhere, some corners have a one inch gap, if you ever get to Shelby Ohio look me up I will be glad to show you this piece of crap they call a house!!!, basement floor is also cracking badly as is our brick walls.STAY AWAY FROM THESE CLOWNS!

• cbursby_omig_com
    13 years ago

I had a Wayne Home Built in 2005 central Ohio out of the Ashland OH office - and NEVER would I have a Wayne Home built again. They don't stand behind the issues in the house when they happen. They plain don't know anything about building a house. If you have a perfect piece of land, they MIGHT and very small MIGHT be able to build a good house. But, if you have any problems with your land, they DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. If anyone is considering having Wayne Home build a house, I do not recommend them at all. They are cheaper for a reason....
    Thank you...

• richsandi_msn_com
    13 years ago

Yes, My husband and I built an Alexandria last summer, and customized it to fit our lifestyle. We love it. I would recommed them to anyone. We dealt with the Sandusky sales center, and are very happy. We live in a very nice neighborhood filled with large homes and our home fits right into this community. Wayne Homes is building another house right next to our home.
    I'm sure you will find good and bad with any builder. We were going to build in a golf course community in Norwalk, we had our plans approved by their review board. But a contractor, who lived in that community, started bad mouthing Wayne Homes. How unprofessional is that? He was invited to look through the Wayne Homes models and to look at our plans but he refused. That contractor had the community so stirred up, we backed out of the deal. Who wants to live in a community like that? I guess he wanted to be the only builder in that development.
    In the past year of dealing with Wayne Homes they never bad mouthed any other builder. I feel they are honest and above board. We have a very nice home and hope to be here for a long time.

• Bcrownover_gmail_com
    13 years ago

My wife and I built a custom Alexandria with Wayne in 2008. We love our home but have several issues. We still have un-fixed warranty issues that Wayne has had on their list for 2 years now. it usually requires multiple visits to get anything fixed.

Our 2nd issue began last year when Wayne built a nearly identical home right next door to us. Our custom cabinetry work in the kitchen ended up in this home as well. Wayne places all of the blame on our new neighbors and takes no responsibility.

We will never recommend building with Wayne as they were not concerned about making sure that they were taking care of an existing customer.

• rbkmac
    11 years ago

My husband and I spend many Sundays looking through model homes for fun. We have built a few homes in our life together, and when you do that as well as compare builders by looking through their models,and speaking to people who have built with them, you gain a working knowledge of what is quality and what isn't. You also develop an ability to ferret out whether or not the builder will stand behind their work. Once Barrybarry said Wayne homes was once Centex that told me all I needed to know. The quality was lousy then and I'm sure it hasn't improved. Cheaply built and the price reflected the quality. I'll keep looking thank you all.

• Wayne_Homes
    11 years ago

Dear rbkmac:

We appreciate your honesty in sharing your perceptions. It sounds like you are experienced in building a custom home and value having the most accurate information. We respect and encourage that. To clarify, Wayne Homes has been in business for 40 years. We did sell to Centex in 1998, but purchased the company back in 2007. We take our commitment to quality and creating an exceptional experience for our customers seriously, and are happy to report that 9 out of 10 of our customers would refer us to a friend. We invite you to visit one of our Model Home Centers and experience our quality, read our homeowner testimonials to find out more about our commitment to customer satisfaction, and contact us by Live Chat or at (866) 253-6807 to ask any questions. You can also see how real Wayne Homes customers feel about their home on our Facebook page. We believe that all of our customers should have the most accurate information when choosing a builder. We hope this provides you with a clearer picture of who we are and that you will reconsider getting to know us. We look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,
    Wayne Homes
    www.waynehomes.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Homes

• Maryann123
    11 years ago

we built our home in PA 5 years ago with wayne homes, we have a terrible mold issue in our kitchen, dining area and also all 3 bedrooms. We contacted the company before our warranty was up and their solution was to crack a window in the middle of zero degree weather to compansate for the humidity. We payed over 180,000 for our new home i didn't feel this was really something we should have to deal with.5 years later we are still dealing with the mold i am afraid it will start affected the health of my family. can anyone out there give me some advice, how would i go about them taking care of this even though the warranty has expired

• MrsLauraCole
    10 years ago

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to post their experiences with Wayne Homes, it probably saved us from making a big mistake. It was really obvious who was reputable and who was not.
    Thank you.
    We are in Northwest Ohio, anyone out there have anyone they would like to recommend? We really liked the layout of the Litchfield with a few minor changes and will more than likely be using that as a guide for someone other than Wayne Homes to build. Again, thank you.

• MrsLauraCole
    10 years ago

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to post their experiences with Wayne Homes, it probably saved us from making a big mistake. It was really obvious who was reputable and who was not.
    Thank you.
    We are in Northwest Ohio, anyone out there have anyone they would like to recommend? We really liked the layout of the Litchfield with a few minor changes and will more than likely be using that as a guide for someone other than Wayne Homes to build. Again, thank you.

• dmk17
    9 years ago

I just spen 5 hours with my attorney and their attorneys at mediation session. I signed off on my house in 2003 - their had been some water problems which they promised they would fix. Guess what - my basement still leaks and after those five hours of going back and forth with offers I ended up with an amount to pay the attorney and maybe $3500. dollars to dig up my whole foundation and redo the inferior drain tile and waterproofing. The only ones that came out ahead on this was the attorneys. I did not want to go further as what ever I would get would go for attorney fees and court costs and would still have to pay for the job myself. My advice to you is to STAY CLEAR OF WAYNE HOMES.

• Brenda Gillman
    8 years ago

I've read these posts some good some not. Wayne home responded, but tell these people who aren't satisfied how can u make it right ? I'm considering a Wayne home , I live in w.v. Horrific disaster destroyed my dream home, we want to build same property.if I buy home from Wayne's home do they actually build the home etc, I recieved info in mail didn't give much info. On process. Right now I just started looking, haven't researched any of modular so yet. Is Wayne's a modular they put together on site or is it like Legos ? Please anyone, I'm open. I'm already having lawyer issues with insurance company , for certain don't want to even conceive of having to take anyone else to court........... Thank you.

• Rob Vigue
    8 years ago

Ok i have a good one for you that could sway your opinion. I started the process two years ago now. I still have no occupancy permit. They gave me the key on a home where the township hasnt finished the inspections because the house in their eyes is incomplete. Todd orr gave me the keys in June. what he didnt say was that the inspections weren't done and also that they hadnt asked for them to be complete. last friday(Oct 30 2015) The inspector came in and was so mad that he told me he is writing a letter to wayne home about the work and process that they had refused to follow. Items such as fire break between utility room which was document prior but ignored by Orr. Drainage issues in basement from the water heater ignored. It goes on and on. I am in the process of doing the work myself and hiring out to an outside company. Now the warranty work. I had called in an issue months before about the big hole they left in the master bath. They told me they would get to it. Needless to say they didnt . So doing the work they didnt care warranty work well that makes it worse. I have to say the VP George Murphy is the one behind this mess and put a bad site manager on the job one of six who failed. I call last year to try to get them to start the build which they scheduled five times and didnt showed up. George laughed at me and said i could always go to a different builder. he also said it would be tough and my money would be tied up for two years or so because wayne was the builder of record. My hands were tied. In the end George refused to authorize the start till the end of November even though i had started the schedule process in August. George Murphy punished me because i complained. There is a lot more goign on but in the end you buy a wayne home you will regret it. Heck they had illegal aliens and underage kids work on the drywall. They dont care and to be honest I am also a real estate agent in Pa and i tell all clients do not go to them because caveat emptor. Buyer beware.

• theclub530
    8 years ago

I built 2 homes with Wayne about 25 years ago, one as a spec house to sell
    in Kent Park (Kent) and one in Brimfield both in Portage County Ohio. When I
    worked at Kent State a lot of faculty and staff bought Wayne homes.

There is a huge price difference between someone like them and a custom
    builder. Yes the custom builder has a better and finish in part based on the
    materials they push. So yes they are better looking homes however can be 30%
    higher in cost. Over the years I have replaced my vinyl and carpet flooring with
    stone and hardwood. I also upgraded the kitchens and baths. But the as built
    served me well for years (my former wife still lives in one.)

Now I live in Mercer County PA and will be looking for another home, not a
    done deal at all, but I will consider them. This time I can afford a finer
    finished product.

By the way the basic structure is the same all to code, and put some money
    in extra insulation as I did. As for Amish ( I live near New Wilmington) you got
    to be kidding I've had some good ones and I've seen some Amish shoemakers doing
    roofing. Literally they were using some young children on the roof. Just
    because his name is Byler or Yoder that's never a guarantee of
    competency.

• Ari Allen
    7 years ago

Atrocious builders period horrible horrible horrible experience too long to even begin to discuss what issue after issue it's still going on after I've been in the house

• smkamk
    6 years ago

Couldn't agree more with last review....HORRIBLE. I have written reviews anywhere I can find, but they are so long because of the extent of the issues. We closed on our loan May 2016, dig date July 2016, and we have no closing even on the books as of April (END of April) 2017. That should give you an idea of what we have been dealing with. They can throw their "guaranteed completion program" out the window. It means nothing. Best thing you can do is stay FAR away from them. I've said it before and I will say it again, I wouldn't hire them to build me a dog house! Worst experience ever. This company has no business being in business!!!!!!!!

• smkamk
    5 years ago

to anyone else reading this considering them to build your home, I would suggest you look elsewhere. We had an absolutely horrible experience. Since our experience, so many people have contacted us privately saying the same thing. And they don’t make just small insignificant mistakes. They are extremely neglient. They damaged things like our brand new $1000 cooktop. They had done an awful job on the drywall so brought in a different company. This was after carpeting was installed, all of kitchen, and walls painted. Nothing was covered so there was drywall dust everywhere including all through the carpeting and all over kitchen appliances. They attempted to wipe it off scratching the cooktop. They wouldn’t replace anything. we have two large windows that we questioned whether or not should be tempered glass they kept saying no. We kept asking and they finally checked with CAD and they should have been tempered which was missed by then and the building inspector. crooked walls doors and windows. floors that creak so horribly we had to tear out flooring from the first floor less than 9 months after moving in. We have not even started the second floor yet. We steered in June and moved the following June and that was only because at that point we needed to be settled woth our kids. We by no means were satisfied. This is not even close to everything we experienced. I would never want someone to go through what we did. would never suggest someone choosing Them: there are much better builders to give your business to.

• m F
    4 years ago

Ok, so where to begin... I had nothing but problems with Wayne homes. I used their excavator and contracted price for clearing my lot of 52 trees. he left 7 or eight. no credit for that. he took 90% of my wonderful dirt that he REFUSED to let me keep, said I had to pay more to haul out extra. I told him I wanted my dirt, nope he said. then charged me more money to bring in two truck loads of CLAY because SURPRISE i needed it for the final grade because now he doesn't have enough dirt. then had a nerve to try and charge me almost 7k over contract for extra time and work because he was too lazy to read the diagram correctly to where the water company had for the location of the water tap. he dug from the wrong direction and couldn't find it. as a matter of fact, someone from his crew actually pointed at it when I asked what that faucet looking thing was under the ground that they covered up with gravel. did I pay the extra money hell no! i should have sued his ass. he tried to tell the field manager to NOT give me my keys until I paid. he made a fortune off my tree's and dirt, broke the silt fence with his tonka truck and had the city on my back because my neighbor complained about the mud running into their yard. my house was built in mid 2015 and I still have trouble growing sustainable grass on that clay. nothing but grass dying in patches every year. Next, within the first two years I've had the fix it guy come out and adjust doors, change the parts in the toilet which went bad in their cheap Gerber toilets. two more have since went bad and they only like Gerber parts! universal parts allow water to leak. Next, I was told a cleaning crew would come in and clean out the vents of the drywall dust and stuff before final walk through. That never happened. framing crew threw plastic and tie wraps in the hole under my front porch like they didn't care about the environment. another crew was in the garage smoking and throwing butts inside the garage in the gravel. I DON'T SMOKE thank you! I know everyone take lunch when the time come, but don't leave your spilled cups with sold on the floor. I don't care for ants! next on the list that I'm mad I didn't see before, was my front doors placement. A two year old must have measured the placement because it's not centered! someone even went as far as cut a chunk out of the corner of the molding to make it fit! hurry up and get done in 4 moths right? shh... don't tell the field manner or homeowner and lets hope they won't notice it, because we will have to fix it and I want to get paid now!. 250k house? not worth it with the cheap materials used. the only wood in the house is probably the kitchen cabinets. lastly, my basement wall. as of the middle of august 2019, I've contacted Wayne homes about my basement wall being wet. before you saying anything about the two year fit and finish, I pointed at my wet wall before the second year was up. I was told someone would contact me about it. did they NO! did I call? Yes i did and multiple times at that. left messages, phone always busy, never got threw to anyone. I figured I'd let the ground settle more, heck I'm new to this stuff and thought that was the problem. almost five years later and the wall is so bad with salt crystals coming through the blocks. i called again frustrated, put a message through a website that deals with the waterproofing and finally had someone come out. the solution you ask? probably have to go to court. everyone's pointing fingers, Wayne is trying to say i'm past the 2 years but I told them about the problem before their guy retired (within the two years) now their saying there was nothing in my file about it? Of course it isn't . they have all the files, a recycle bin and shredder. Waterproofing said it was a footer tile after he did a water test. footer tiles were checked and yes it is a footer tile sitting at the wrong angle water has to climb up to get to the water pump but will only get there once the pipe is filled with water and allowing water into my concrete blocks. my old small house is built better than this. heat vents that go from the furnace to the rooms? not anymore. now there's this new thing called cardboard sheets that run along the studs to act like the metal box tubes we all new and loved. Remember that wood trim that goes on the sides and top of the window? they must be invisible. I didn't know that was the new thing now. for 250k, should that come with the over-inflated price? hollow doors, i can hear my kids piss and take showers in a ranch that is 2200 sf and we don't have bedrooms or bathrooms close to each other. I could probably say more but i'm going to stop here. Stay away from Wayne home's PERIOD! can you believe a contractor from Wayne home told me they laugh about how cheaply made the houses are? said all they need is a hammer to go through the outside wall. there wasn't much said in complaints when I was looking for a builder. I guess the type of house I chose is why I picked them. models you go look at have 50k more put into them to make them really stand out but I guess they know that because no one would choose any of the houses in their basic packages.

• PRO
    eLuxRealty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hello m F....

any chance we could please speak? you could email me at d72176@gmail.com

ty

• Brandon Crownover
    4 years ago

Built a custom home with Wayne in 2008 and all I can say is run away as fast as you can. We purchased 5 acres in the country and after 2 years of living in the home our new neighbors stopped to tell us that they were building an identical home next door. We contacted Wayne and they offered to resolve the situation by offering us a reduced cost of $35K to change the look of our home. We told them to F Off. The neighbors had no idea why we were upset. Can't imagine why having your new home duplicated next to you would upset anyone. If I hadn't almost lived at the build site for 6 months the house would've turned out bad. I should've been paid for managing the build.

We still don't speak to our neighbors, but honestly if you can't see the problem with creating this situation in the first place what's the point. Wayne had the leverage to stop this and pitted us against them. Run as fast as you can !!!!!!

• Matthew Akers
    3 years ago

Currently building with them.... Wish I would have seen this. Many problems already and were only through framing.

• HkyLvr
    3 years ago

Hi Matthew - Where are you building? I am considering building in Licking County Ohio

• HU-503961337
    3 years ago

I would not have Wayne Holmes build a doghouse for me my son can’t even get water in the house has been sitting there for four months and nobody from Wayne Holmes wants to deal with it

• Jodi Orawiec
    3 years ago

We have been in our house for five years and have already put thousands and thousands of dollars back into it fixing all of their mistakes or replacing their cheap materials. We have a Facebook blog detailing our awful experience from start of build to the end. Don’t do it. Find a different builder.