Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Builtin entertainment center and fireplace depth question

bridget helm
10 years ago

We are going to have a fireplace in the center, a 7 foot wide builtin entertainment center on one side if it (cubbies on top and cabinets bottom), and a window on the other side if the fireplace with cubbies built around the top and sides of it to mirror the entertainment center side.

Originally the window was on the right of the fireplace and the entertainment on the left. But the architect thought we should let light in on the left side of the room since the right side has French doors and windows. So we flipped it, but now our entertainment center can only be 16 inches deep in order to not run into the trim of the patio windows.

So I feel like the fireplace will be sticking out too much in comparison to the built ins. Should we push the fireplace outside into the yard a bit or should we flip the window back to the right of the fireplace and the entertainment center to the left?

Building this house is making me nuts!!!! Thanks for your help. I'm worried I will drive the builder and architect crazy, if I haven't already.

Comments (7)

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A different angle. They had to mirror image flip our house because if a curbside gutter interfering with our driveway, so I'm all turned around when looking at the new plans. This view seems easier to understand for some reason

• rburrel
    10 years ago

Pushing the fireplace out is going to require you to have a stone or brick chimney on your exterior wall instead of just siding. ThatâÂÂll probably cost you an additional 5,000 or so. I would live with the fire place sticking out a little bit. I donâÂÂt think youâÂÂll even notice it after youâÂÂve lived there a few months.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

"Pushing the fireplace out is going to require you to have a stone or brick chimney on your exterior wall instead of just siding."

I don't think that is true universally. My last house had a bumped out fireplace with just siding on it. (It was built in the last 5 years.) I would opt to have that fireplace bumped out, but you'll have to inquire with your builder/architect on how that changes the cost.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

My guess is that 16" deep for an entertainment center containing amps, receiver, cable box, Blu-ray, etc., will hardly be deep enough. You should measure all of the equipment and add 1"-2" to the deepest unit as the minimum depth for the entertainment center. My guess is you will end up with an entertainment center about 24" deep.

To make it work with the trim for the patio windows simply build a small unit adjacent to the window wall at the necessary depth, and then build the rest of the entertainment center at the necessary depth.

Good luck on your project.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its a ventless firebox by FireRock, so pushing out shoukdvt cost much.
    http://firerock.us/fireplaces/fireplace-products/indoor-fireplaces/vent-free/

Should I switch the window to the right side so the we don't have depth issues with the built in? But if we do that then we have all the windows on the same side of the room

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Without knowing the orientation of the house and direction of the sun, I'd say leave it the way it is for more diffused and balanced lighting, and make everything else fit.

When it's completed and you occupy the house, you will never visually notice the problem.

Just be sure to measure all of your home theater gear and add a couple of inches to the largest dimension for air space and cord access.

Good luck on your project.

• AllieBr8
    10 years ago

You can always have a slide out pivot flat screen tv So when u need it u can see it past the fire place and it will tuck away /slide back in nice when you don't need it...I think that will be plenty of space...they make everything so compact now.