Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this post be secured?

Posted by minneapolisite (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 20:39

I know this is not the right forum for this question, but I feel like I know you guys. :)

Our buyer has come back with the following request:

"Secure at the top stair railing for safety."

We're not even sure if this is possible. The stretch of railing is over 11 feet long and has always been a little wobbly. We reinforced the other two points where the handrail meets the wall (going down the stairs) many years ago to combat the wobble.

So questions:

(1) Can this be more secure than it already is?
(2) If yes, how? My husband is pretty handy and I think we could fix it ourselves. Otherwise, how would I find a handyman and approx how much should I expect to pay?

Here are some pictures of the railing in question. The wobbly point is the newel post close to the light switch at the landing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this post be secured?

You can use something like this:
Oak Newel Fastener Kit
Lowes Item: 28753

o
RE: Can this post be secured?

Are there plugged "holes" at the base of the newel post (where there may be some lag screws under the plugs? What is directly under that post?

Frankly, I am surprised they wanted you to do this. You could technically do it, and choose something really ugly in the end (cheap fix); or you could do it right, but it will take more time, might need to disassemble part of it, and reassemble, etc. Kind of a gamble on their part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here