Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parsonse1

I have been waiting YEARS to join you all here!

Beth Parsons
11 years ago

We got word today that we close on our construction loan this Friday so I finally feel like I can jump on the new house bandwagon! We've only been waiting since 2004 to get started...

Our story - my husband and I built our first house on 6 acres back in '97. We were both 27 and had no idea what we were doing, what was going to work with our lifestyle or exactly what we wanted. We hired Holigan Homes and they basically built one of their development homes that we liked on our property with little input from us aside from picking out the color of the carpet and cabinets. Loved the home, but once we had kids we realized how horrible the floor plan really was for a family and had a long list of things we wanted to change.

In 2004 my Dad passed away, Mom decided to move to a smaller place closer to town so I inherited my childhood home; a 30 year-old Jim Walter house that had been added onto badly, which was also sitting on 6 beautiful acres of hard to find open land in a very good school district. After debating on whether to 1.) fix up the existing house 2.) build a new house on the back acreage (I've had Don Gardner's Edgewater in my build file since 2004) 3.)set fire to the existing house, collect insurance money and build new (and likely go to prison) we decided to save money by investing in the existing house and making do even though our hearts weren't in it.

Over the past 8 years, we added hardwood floors, painted, added trimwork, bought new appliances, installed 2 new dual fuel HVAC units and had a new asphalt driveway laid. The house, however, still needed to be pretty much gutted - the roof ripped down to the rafters and the walls to the studs on both sides. We still had single pane wood windows, recalled Masonite siding, little insulation, bad electrical, horrible plumbing and a foundation that was failing and needed to be jacked up. After running the numbers, and with my Mom's blessing, we decided it would be more economical to just tear it down and start from scratch with a floor plan we really loved and would work for our family now and in the future.

To complicate matters, I have a disabled brother that I'll be responsible for within the next 5 years so we started the process of subdividing off .8 acre to set aside for his special needs trust back in February. Thanks to an inept surveyor and lots and lots of red tape, that process was finally completed 2 weeks ago. I feel much better knowing we have a parcel set aside to build a small cottage for him when the time comes.

Our little family of 4 moved in with my Mom in mid-June and on June 29th, 2012, my childhood home came down. It's been a long month of demo and after many dumpsters of debris we're just about ready to finishing clearing so we can pour footers for the new house.

So here we are, getting ready to close on the construction loan and hopefully start work next week. So glad to be a lurker here no more!

~Beth

Comments (15)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Yah! Such a good feeling to become one of the "in-crowd". I will be closing in the next week or so as well and break ground in less than 2 weeks! Looking forward to following your build.

• sweet.reverie
    11 years ago

Congrats! It is a fun and unique (maybe kinda crazy!?) group to be a part of! So happy you are finally realizing your dreams :)

• Xclusive
    11 years ago

Congrats and welcome aboard. Our lives have been upside down for the past year as we were selling a home and building a home and should be closing in the next week or so. I can tell you its one of the happiest times and one of the most nerve racking and stressful time as well. I KNOW we are blessed and fortunate to be able to build in a time while so many others are hurting so we thank the Lord everyday. In the end if the worst problem I have is stressing over odds and ends of having a new house built, I'll sign up for that anytime as things could definitely be worst :) My advice is no matter how stressful it gets, ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

Again, congrats and can't wait to see pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our home sell/build blog

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Enjoyed reading your story. So happy for you and your family. I built a home here several yrs ago. We bought property and are about to do it again, if I can ever get myself enthused enough to get going on the project.

Are you still planning to build the Edgewater? Looks like a nice floor plan.

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I've been following everyone's story for several months now and am so excited to finally be able to participate. :)

red_lover - while I still like the Edgewater, and my husband prefers it over our chosen plan, it had a few too many blemishes that we would have had a hard time overcoming. I continued to scour books and plans online and was on the verge of hiring a designer until I stumbled upon the Rosemoore Cottage by Garrell Associates and instantly fell in love! We've made a few changes to the layout but overall it really works for our family, our lifestyle and our property. As one of my closest girlfriends said when she first saw it, it is totally me. :)

We're going with fiber cement lap on the 1st level, board & batten on the gables, brick at the watertable and stacked stone pillars and stacks. The roof will be asphalt dinemsional shingles with metal on the accent/porch lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosemoore Cottage

• dutty
    11 years ago

Congrats!!!! We just closed today on our construction loan and I'm just about to sit down with a glass of wine to celebrate with DH. We will be moving right along with you although we won't break ground for another month at least... we need our land to dry out from all this rain! :D

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

good for you!
    hope you plan to invest in the things
    that don't 'show'.
    insulation
    detail to air sealing
    correctly sized and designed hvac.

while you don't see these things
    they affect your eveyday comfort
    and reduce utility costs..which
    only increase.

what part of the country will you
    be building in?

best of luck.

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats dutty!!! I hope things dry out quickly for you so you can hit the ground running soon!

Energy rater, we're in Murfreesboro, TN, about 30 miles east of Nashville. My husband and I are both from this area and since we're building on property that's been in the family for 30+ years, we don't plan on ever selling so yes, we are investing in doing what we can to make this house as energy efficient and tight as possible within our budget. If that means I don't have cabinets installed in the mud/laundry room right away, then so be it!

Closing is this afternoon followed by a meeting with the builder and excavator to situate the house on the lot so we can pour footings next week! Hoping to be in by Christmas...

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Congrats.....I am building in the same time as you.... I have the footings/crawl space dug and hope to frame them up and pour concrete sometime soon. The builders will start to frame about Sept. 1st and hope to have me in by Christmas.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

start planning hvac layout now.
    will you be able to put mechanicals
    and ducts within the building envelope
    or in attic?

best of luck.

• Xclusive
    11 years ago

Posted by parsonse (My Page) on Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 11:46

Congrats dutty!!! I hope things dry out quickly for you so you can hit the ground running soon!
    Energy rater, we're in Murfreesboro, TN, about 30 miles east of Nashville. My husband and I are both from this area and since we're building on property that's been in the family for 30+ years, we don't plan on ever selling so yes, we are investing in doing what we can to make this house as energy efficient and tight as possible within our budget. If that means I don't have cabinets installed in the mud/laundry room right away, then so be it!

Closing is this afternoon followed by a meeting with the builder and excavator to situate the house on the lot so we can pour footings next week! Hoping to be in by Christmas...

Hello Parsonse, I am located a couple of exits down from you off the Sam Ridley exit. Where exactly are you building in Murf. and with what builder?

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Energy, the HVAC will be in the attic.

Xclusive, I've read your blog & knew you were fairly close by! We're out in the Almaville area close to Amvaville Rd. and 840. Absolutely love it here!

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Xclusive, I forgot to name our builder! Maurice Ludlam is a local custom builder & owns Serenity Construction. He's a good friend of a good friend and building our house for a phenomenal price. :)

• Beth Parsons
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Phoggie, congrats on getting started! I've been lurking in the shadows until after we got the construction loan finalized so I've followed your story. What a beautiful piece of property you have - cant wait to see your progress!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Parsons--love your house, but don't make the garage too shallow. Hate that I can't get groceries out of the back of my SUV without leaving the garage door open. Especially in the winter.

Next house, I'm making my garage deeper.