Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_g_gw

MaxiTile versus Nichiha versus Hardi & other fiber cement siding

mark_g
15 years ago

I rec'd samples today of MaxiTile fiber cement siding, and it seems very impressive. Very dense (prob the most dense of any cement siding I've handled so far), and seems stable, reasonable trim stock options.

Has anyone had experience w/it, esp in the north w/harsh winters? How does it install and take paint? and how does it compare to Nichiha, certainly a favorite among 'those in the know' in these parts.

Thanks for feedback! --Mark

Comments (12)

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Hi Mark, I see you are in NJ. I recently build a home in TX and a portion of it is Hardiplank. Your winters are much more severe, so that might be a factor. I think I would listen to 'those in the know'. ;o)

• routey
    15 years ago

We have installed THE WOOD GRAINED MAXI-TILE PLANK AND STAGGERED SHAKES, AND IT IS VERY NICE. OUR BUILDER HAD USED HARDIE-PLANK BEFORE AND WAS MORE INPRESSED WITH THE MAXI-TILE.

• robin0919
    15 years ago

What kind of pricing are you getting on the maxi-tile....labor and material? In this area, the price for hardie, labor and materials is running $2.00/sf installed.

• jodierd
    15 years ago

Hi Routey,

Did you use primed or pre-stained or painted? What did you pay for it?

• skk1
    15 years ago

Beware of MaxiTile and their product. I live in the Midwest and have been through a nightmare with this company and its product. First of all, the issue I had with the product was that it shrank. Yes thatÂs right, almost 3/16 at every seam. It was installed by a Maxi Tile recommended installer as well.

Then when I called the manufacture I was given the run around for nearly a year and a half. One rep came out, inspected the siding, agreed to replace the inferior product and reimburse the labor cost, but soon left the company. Then it took nearly a year to get someone to tell me the status of my claim.

Once I was able to get a hold of the regional business development manager I was told that my settlement would be for half the cost of the labor and no product. When I asked how they arrived at that settlement I was told take it or leave it.

So after their offer I am out $5500.00. By the way, I replaced their product with Hardi Board.

• skk1
    15 years ago

Mark,

I came across your concerns about Maxi Tile and felt I should warn you about the product. I installed it on my house last year and within 5 months I noticed gaps of up to 3/16 of an inch at all the seams. I called Maxi Tile and they sent a rep out to look at the issue. After a full review they admitted that they had some issues with the product shrinking? He agreed to replace the defective siding.

Since then he has left the company and the only offer I received to date is $4500.0o with a take it or leave it response. With the cost of the siding and the labor I am out around $6500.00.

Not happy about this at all.....

• mikeanton
    10 years ago

I installed Maxi Plank on a new high end home. Within 3 years, paint was falling off and its falling apart. Emails to the company go unanswered and phone calls don't get returned. My only recourse seems to be spreading the word about what a crappy product they have and hope others don't make my mistake.

• tmw5219
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My new house was sided with Max Plank. The features list promised 50 years. I was newly single and that was important to me. Still have that sheet. I noticed it was starting to get some gaps about four years in.. deciding it definitely has the shrinkage problem not only did it have gaps but where it was attached also pulled away from the nails or whatever the attachment was. I got a letter from a lawyer about company filing bankruptcy in 2007. They had me fill out the MOST complcated paper work then talked about depreciation and whatever excuse they could think of and said they would pay $200.00! Yeah, that will really help, since I am going to have to pay thousands of dollars to replace so much for 50 year guarantees! DON'T deal with this company.You are likely to be very sorry that you did.

• berto87
    8 years ago

Mark_G, what did you end up going with and how do you like it?

• Karen Wischnefski
    6 years ago

We have Maxitile and it's shrinking after 5 yrs. They'll replace boards with cracks in bur no labor. It really stinks when you spend alot of money on something and the company makes it so difficult to just stand behind their product. Anyone interested in starting a class action suit:)

• Ed(Edwina) and Stephen Ci
    6 years ago

I still lived at home in 1968ish. On Lake Michigan. My parents had HardiPlank installed whole house. The house was recently sold with same material and looked great. Dad was meticulous about routine care of everything.