Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions wanted on box beams in great room

Posted by majornewbie (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 20:06

We're building a new home and considering installing box beams over the great room. The beams would be around 5-6" deep (and about the same width). The resulting coffers will be crowned all around. If we decide not to add these, we'll just crown the perimeter of the room. The ceilings are 9' high. We'll mount a semi-flush fixture in the center of the central coffer and can lights in the center of the others.

There's an adjacent kitchen/nook area that will be crowned around the perimeter but won't have any beams. There's an actual structural beam separating the great room from the nook/kitchen area.

We think the room will look good with or without the beams, so we're looking for helpful opinions to push us one way or the other. On the pro side, the room is fairly large and we think the beams will help to partition/break it up a bit. Also we just think they will look pretty cool. On the con side, we usually see beams like these in more formal rooms, and we're worried how the smooth mill work will look next to the textured ceiling (which has a brocade finish).

Any thoughts appreciated.

- Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions wanted on box beams in great room

i think that i would leave them out since your ceilings are only 9 feet and have texture. the beamsmight close you in. just my opinion

o

From the pictures the proportion of the room is that it already looks like the ceiling is low....adding the beams will make it lower. I'd suggest not doing it.

We coffered the ceiling in our hallway, but that worked as it was high for the size and shape of the space, so bringing the ceiling down brought the area more into proportion.

o

Too obviously faux and out of scale and spirit with the rest of the space.

o

I think the pictures make the ceiling look a bit lower than it actually is, but I appreciate the feedback.

o

Perhaps crown molding will give the room a nice finished look.

o

I have no idea if this is architecturally correct, but we like how it looks. 10' ceilings, each box drops 12".

photo image-2.jpg

This is how we transitioned to the plain kitchen ceiling. The crown on the kitchen side runs all the way through the kitchen.

photo image-1.jpg

Edited to add: I think coffers almost always look great. They are one of my favorite things in our house, and I'll be copying them in our new house as well. I think 6" with a 9' ceiling would look proportional.

This post was edited by jackson2348 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 17:44

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here