Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McMansion to beat all McMansions...

Posted by bevangel (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 19:38

I don't ever want to see any more nasty comments that anybody on this forum is building a McMansion. LOL! I thought I was a one-percenter with my 3000 sq ft house but...

Here is a link that might be useful: 90,000 sq ft home!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McMansion to beat all McMansions...

I can't wait to see the movie.

However, Ira Rennart's digs in the Hamptons is bigger. And it's complete, not a shell. Now, his jealous multi-millionaire neighbours are complaining about his twin Sikorsky helicopters that whiz him back and forth from his office in Manhattan. Geeze, what's a billionaire to do nowadays!

o

There's no accounting for taste.

o

I thought a McMansion is a ~3000 sf house on a 1/4 acre suburban lot with faux stone, faux beams, faux everything and cheap siding on every side other than the front. Cost to build to the contractor about $100k, sold to the proud owner for $200k to $600k, depending on location.

I think this is a gaudy real mansion, but not a McMansion.

o

During the boom a McMansion became any house bigger than yours that you yourself could not afford to buy!!!

o

I've heard it's wise not to be the biggest house in the neighborhood......but the entire U.S.?

o

Depressing.

o

mammom love

o

dibs on the closet!

o

This site has a street map, to look at other people's luxury villas

Here is a link that might be useful: street map

o

First of all, it won't be the largest home in america which is still Biltmore at 175,000 sq ft which is lovely to boot. This home is just ugly on the outside....no idea yet on the inside, though garish comes to mind...stripper pole in the closet????

But the fact that they are even trying to build such a place suggests that our income inequality has returned to what it was during the era of the robber barons. Most likely, they pay a lower marginal tax rate than I do.

How they can see this as not wasteful is beyond me. Somehow I struggle to feel sorry for them that they had to stop building because of the crash....I hope they realize that many people had to stop working, stop living in their own home, or stop eating because of the crash!

o

Ah, the schadenfreude is too luscious to resist!

True, Siegel's a crass climber and his wife is the model of an insensitive boor with a large chest, fecund reproductive system and endless self regard. (She previously dated the Donald!)

But it was their honestly earned money to "waste", money earned providing a bit of the dream to average income Americans. Compare that "waste" to, say, the billions of dollars seized from all taxpayers by the DC criminals, then spent for "green energy" boondoggles that went bust.

o

I compare this to million dollar rooms on HGTV. It make my skin crawl to see a waste of money on poor taste and horrible design. If your going to spend that type of money hire an architect worthy of it like Robert Stern.

o

I can't believe that no one else mentioned the child on the stripper pole at :54. To me that is way more disturbing than that insane house.

o

Yeah, if you're going to put a pole in a 2 story closet, at least make it a fireman's pole so you can have some real fun!

o

There isn't much "Mc" in that Mansion - that's a real one alright.

o

You people obviously have have been in the Hapmtons recently, while this is by far the largest it is out done on the hideous looking scale on a regular basis. There is an obscene amount of money in the Hamptons (either earned, inherited or looted) and money does not equate to good taste in any language.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here