Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat81_gw

Front door question!

kat81
10 years ago

I found this beautiful front door made out of oak at the bargain outlet for $350...It does need to be restained...I love the looks (and the price) but i dont like that you can see through the window into the house..Do i have any options other than a curtain to make it so you cant see through?

Comments (10)

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Could you remove the existing glass and replace it with frosted glass?

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked about that and they told me it will be REALLY expensive

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I bet it's the curve at the top that's expensive. I'd ask for the specific number and then make a decision on whether its worthwhile. A good front door is worth some money . . . But everything has a limit.

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think the curtains will look bad?

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

Yes. Curtains will not look right. Is your house really close to the street? Driving by, what would someone see? The wrought iron blocks the view. I wouldn't worry about it, but that's just me

• Apolonia3
    10 years ago

How about covering the glass with film? It seems like a simple solution. Love the door. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Window Film

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Frosting the glass in place is a simple DIY job if you are careful with the etching cream. That is, if the glass is accessible from the ref to be able to do it. Etched glass has a rougher surface texture and will be more difficult to clean, but it will provide the additional privacy that you are looking for.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Could you remove the existing glass and replace it with frosted glass?

At a fraction of the cost, have a piece of opaque plastic cut to shape--stained glass fabricators have done that for me--then held in place on the existing glass by tiny dabs of silcone caulking or 1/8" or other mouldings.

Or, add a stained glass panel to the inside.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:02

• worthy
    10 years ago

Duplicate post.

This post was edited by worthy on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 10:59

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

Looks like that glass is already "wavy" so anything seen thru it will be distorted. But I can understand that you still might feel that it doesn't provide enough privacy if your front door will be fairly close to the street and/or you have family members that tend to run around the house less than completely dressed!

If the back side of the glass isn't perfectly smooth, films might not adhere very well but if it is smooth, a privacy film would probably be the quickest and least expensive way to deal with the issue. They come in all sorts of patterns and levels of opacity so I'm sure you can find something you like.

I'd be a bit hesitant to add a stained glass panel to the interior of the door - although I do think that would look lovely. The problem is that real stained glass is probably not going to be composed of safety glass. With the door opening and closing, however you have the panel attached it could work itself loose and fall. There is a reason that windows in doors have to be safety glass!

Another alternative to attaching a real stained glass panel might be to create a faux stained glass look using "glass paint". There are a couple of varieties that I know of. I've linked to a blog about one brand below that I've used successfully but there are others. You can look thru the blog archives to get an idea of some of the things you could do.

And the nice thing about glass paint is that, if/when you sell the house, if the next owner wants to be able to see out the glass, they can just scrape the glass paint off the window.

Here is a link that might be useful: glass paint