Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Please vote on my stairs~Photos!

katieob
14 years ago

Hi all.

I am having trouble deciding between all white painted newel posts, banisters & spindles or just staining the banister a walnut color.

The floor & treads will be heart pine with a tung oil finish. Newel posts are chunky & boxy and spindles are pretty thick & square, much like the photo below.

Inspiration for all white:

Inspiration for stained banisters:

Large lantern hanging in stairway:

The floor color (no tung oil yet):

The trim will be Benjamin Moore White Dove and the paint color in the foyer/stairs will be Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Grey.

Please vote. I am totally going back & forth on this.

THANKS!!!!!

Katie

Comments (17)

• fish7577
    14 years ago

I vote for the stained banisters. A little contrast helps everything stand out.

• crazyone
    14 years ago

walnut stain! :-)

• missstaceyh
    14 years ago

Mix it up! Another vote for stained/paint mixture. Very pretty lantern!

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

Stained!

• hockeywidow
    14 years ago

Definitely the stained, it adds a nice contrast!

• mydreamhome
    14 years ago

Stained will make it "pop"!

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Stained and maybe a tung oil finish. Whatever the final coat is, it needs to be something that will stand up to handling.

Pun intended. :-)

• trudymom
    14 years ago

Stained--needs the contrast. Love the lantern! Great job!!

• young-gardener
    14 years ago

I love both looks, but it seems stained would be more practical. Might white show dirty fingerprints over time from the oils on your hands? I guess though, it depends on your overall decorating scheme. They have two different looks. Your lantern would work with either, I think. Your pine floors are gorgeous! What company did you use?

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your opinions.

An overwhelming vote for stain! I do love the stain & it makes more sense with our kiddos. I just loved the cottage look of the white....

Lantern is Murray Feiss-relatively inexpensive compared to the other large lanterns we found.

Floors are from Stonewood on Cape Cod.

Stain it is. My dh is happy-stain was his vote! I'll post photos as soon as the stairs are done!

Thanks again,
    Katie

• iliya1
    14 years ago

No doubt about it. This house needs more stained wood.

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I go for the stained look too. I have to ask, that is an outdoor lantern, are you sure you want it indoors??

• lyfia
    14 years ago

I'm not going to give you a vote, but rather have you look at what feel you want. I don't think you can go wrong with either. One thing though if you do stained and change your mind later you can always paint it vs. the other way around.

The first pic reminds me of a Swedish style and all white would be the way to go then. Your floors do give me that feeling.

The second pic reminds me of an older style American home with the stained part. The only thing is the floors in the 2nd pic has a darker stain than what you're going for. Although I like the contrast of dark stain on items with light flooring (have it in my current house with furniture and my old house with light floors and dark stained trim). Just something to think about if you like it.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

They're both pretty, but the all white is too sterile for me. The stain is richer.

• eventhecatisaboy
    14 years ago

If you do the white, the kids will eventually stain it for you! LOL! :)

I too have indoor lights in my house. No one knows the difference. I couldn't resist the handblown glass and it seemed a shame to expose them to the elements. Yours is very pretty too! All of it is pretty! Love your style!

Keep us posted!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Why the warning about an outdoor light indoors? I always thought outdoor could go in or out...

Lyfia~ In my mind, I am all Louis chairs & gustavian influences (ever check out the Velvet & Linen blog?) In real life, I'm a traditional beach house. My concern with the stain was the disjoint between the pine floors and a rich, dark stain. I'm going to try to use a stain similar to the darkest knots in the floor. We'll see.......

Again, thanks for the kind words & feedback, everyone.

• swampwiz
    14 years ago

I am a fan of all white. It never goes out of style and blends in with everything. However, if you can get an *exact* match on the species of the flooring, then having it as the planks and trim would be good.