Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Shattered glass on door (pics) need advice

ILoveRed
11 years ago

My 6 yr old Kolbe door has double pane glass. One of my twin boys managed to hit it hard enough with a ball to shatter the glass. This is all on the outside. The inside is perfect.

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing this glass. It looks like the divided lights like the Marvin windows have, but if that is so, would the whole thing have shattered when it was only hit in one place? TIA.

Comments (12)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Call a glass shop. I think it is a solid piece of glass, if it was only hit in 1 spot and the whole thing shattered.

(I'm sure you were thrilled to see this... rolls eyes)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

You have what is called simulated divided lites (SDL) which are basically applied muntins interior and exterior and what appears to be spacers between the glass. This does give the appearance of true divided lites but at a lower price and better insulating glass value. Unfortunately you may need to go back to Kolbe to purchase this as you may not be able to remove the glass and the applied grids without damaging or breaking them. Both pieces of glass will need to be changed as this is a sealed unit.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kirkhall-I did more than roll my eyes, but tried not to lose it. Boys are such complicated creatures.

Mill workman-will Kolbe be able to fix the door in place or will it have to be taken somewhere? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Calling today.

Figures I'm hosting a family reunion this Sunday and a baby shower for dd on Saturday.

Grrrr.

Thanks.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Kolbe themselves will not replace, there distributor may have a service department to do this for you or they will recommend a local authorized dealer with a service department to do the repair work for you. However or whomever does the work should be able to do the repair onsite.

• suzyqtexas
    11 years ago

We have Pella french door. One door glass (outside glass only, just like yours) was shattered by a rock kicked up by the weed eater. Called the glass company, $224 later the glass was replaced on site.

• chiefneil
    11 years ago

The glass might also be a sealed low-e system. In windows I think they call it an IGU - insulated glass unit where both outer and inner glass are sealed/attached into a single unit, sometimes with an insulating gas inside.

I don't have any experience with doors but with windows they end up replacing the whole IGU. Don't ask me why, but I've had plenty of window IGU's replaced. It's generally a quick and painless procedure. Well, not too painless on the wallet lol.

Glass repair shops are pretty knowledgeable about these things, but I 2nd the suggestion to check with your door manufacturer first for their input.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"would the whole thing have shattered when it was only hit in one place?"

Looks like tempered glass, required in doors.

As soon as a break occurs (or a scratch through the temper layer in the glass) it breaks up into 'crumbs' to limit injury.

It sounds like a larger insulated glass unit (thus 2 sides) made for a door with tempered glass on each side.

A glass shop should be able to obtain a replacement.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I agree brick, but it appears to me to have a simulated divider between the glass and those exterior and interior muntins are more than likely applied to the glass and will not come off very easily which is why I suggested calling Kolbe or the supplier they purchased them from.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

I have Jeld-wen patio and half-lite doors with SDLs and interior (wood) and exterior (aluminum) muntins applied to the glass. So I'm guessing they're probably very similar to your Kolbe door.

During our build, someone managed to break the outer pane of one of the half-lite door's windows. (Yes, it each side is a single piece of safety glass - so when you break what appears to be a single pane, you actually break the entire sheet of glass on that side.

Any way, Jeldwen replaced the entire "window" unit of the door - not the door itself, just the window part. I'd call Kolbe or whoever supplied the door first. You don't want to wind up with a replacement where the muntin colors don't quite match the rest of the door.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to respond. Very helpful.

Kolbe rep coming out next week. Hope we can get it repaired quickly.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"simulated divider between the glass and those exterior and interior muntins are more than likely applied to the glass and will not come off very easily"

A little work with a putty knife usually gets tem off depending on how solidly they are attached.

Some are not attached to the glass well at all (a thin strip of pressure sensitive film.
    I have a rental house that the 'muntins' are not attached to the glass at all, just the seal at the edges (mid 1970s plastic 'dividers').

• millworkman
    11 years ago

ok, but I do know the Kolbes are applied with 3M VHB tape

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource