Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbuild1957

Floor Plan Idea's on my New Plans

newbuild1957
11 years ago

Just needing some input on my house plans. Concerned about the kitchen size.

Comments (8)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Any family or lifestyle info would help.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Another GARAGEsize> with housesize> attached. Make the house more prominent by pulling it forward and recessing the garage from the front plane of the house.

• newbuild1957
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just my husband & I.

• Mistman
    11 years ago

It looks like you have to go thru the guest bath to get to the guest bedroom. Not sure that would always make sense.

• newbuild1957
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look like that but, you enter from the small hall not the bedroom. Thanks!

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Hmm...its ok. Take a look at the plan below. It's a small cottage my architect did. The lot dictated the garage be in the front but he tried to do it in a way that still made the house prominent on the facade. Also not it has windows on all four sides.

{{gwi:1481727}}

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

I agree with Green that the garage will dominate the facade.

Re: the kitchen size issue:

The corner pantry and angled island make it feel cramped. You could try this: rotate the front hall closet and move the pantry to the space that was kind of unused to the right of the guest bath; change the door to swing in. Straigten the island. Move the refrigerator to the end of the range run; this means that diners can grab a beverage refill without walking past the work zone. If you are rather formal diners and don't like the looks of a fridge so close, consider getting a panelled fridge. (See mockup.)

Also, post your plans on the kitchens forum - there are loads of talented layout folks there.

{{gwi:1481728}}

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I would probably think about swaping the space around. My last house I walked from the garage thru the laundry room, directly to the kitchen. My new house I walk from the garage partially thru the family room to the kitchen. I prefer my old layout wayyyyy better!
    Also, I would consider putting your master bath in from of your bedroom and then move your sunroom behind your bedroom. Then just extend your porch/patio area.