Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsingal_gw

cherry cabinets and gold granite

wisconsingal
16 years ago

I also posted this in the Kitchen forum but thought I might get some good reaponses here too.

Help!!! I picked out our granite slabs and DH thinks they will look too yellow (he used another body function term I won't repeat :-(!!) Anyway, I tried to assure him that it won't look so harsh gold/yellow as it does in the granite yard in full sun. But now...I am really second guessing myself and starting to worry that he is right...Anyway, does anyone have photos they can share of natural cherry cabinets with a deeper gold granite like Ghiblee (also known as Ghibli, Ghibli Gold, Giblee, Gibli, Gieblee) or a simular granite like Madura Gold or a darker Kashmire Gold?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Comments (17)

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

I think Mavsfan is using a golden granite with her cherry cabinetry, but I know it isn't installed yet. Maybe she has some photos to share with you of her selections side-by-side? She has excellent taste, so if she's doing it, I KNOW it looks good together. Hopefully that eases your worries a tad bit....... LOL! :o)

I'll e-mail her and ask her if she can share her choices with you, if she did indeed choose a golden (which I'm almost positive she did). That way if she doesn't see this post, she can still hopefully help you out.

I personally think your choices will look great together. Do you have a photo of your chosen slab to share?

• mavs_fan
    16 years ago

Totallyblessed - Thanks for the compliments and for sending me the email about this post :-)

Wisconsingal - I did choose a "gold" granite called Magma Gold. Our cabinets will be Beech wood with a cherry stain and our doors will be African Mahogany with a cherry stain. Here is a pic with all three together:

And here is a close-up of one of the slabs:

I hope that this helps.

If you are interested in more information, I can be found on our home building website linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Progress So Far

• wisconsingal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback! Totallyblessed you are right about mavsfan's great taste! The granite I have on hold is much more gold then your slab. I am going to try to attach a photo with this post. The really big problem I am having is that our center island is going to be about 42' by 91/2 ft. so I am having a difficult time finding slabs that are big enough that would not have to have a seam (something I really really don't want). So let me know your honest opinion when you see the photos. The one that is more gold is the most accurate on color. Thanks again for your help and support!!!!

• vfish
    16 years ago

I think it will be beautiful. the contrast is wonderful. My DH didn't want a lot of gold in our granite, but when he saw the color "golden ray", he quickly changed his mind.
    Mavs Fans has hit this combination "right on" and it does look nice together.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

I can't get mavs fans cabinetry color close enough to your slab to see them on the same screen. (I presume you don't have a photo with your cabinet door next to the slab?) Scrolling back and forth to compare her door to your stone, I think they will look great. Remember, red and yellow compliment eachother very well, so a golden stone and a reddish cabinet will look awesome, in my opinion!! :o)

Mavs Fans combination looks amazing, and I love your stone selection as well, wisconsingal. I vote a huge YES! :o)

• mavs_fan
    16 years ago

Wisconsingal - I think that your stone and cherry cabinets will look amazing together!! Keep us updated on the progress :-)

Thanks for the compliments everyone!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Progress So Far

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

UGHHH! Don't you just hate it when you spend hours or even days agonizing over a decision and when you finally make the leap the dh comes flying in at the last minute just burst your bubble?

I don't think you should be second guessing yourself at all. That is a beautiful piece of granite and will look wonderful with cherry.

• pooryorek
    16 years ago

Our cabinets are a darker glazed cherry (autumn blush) and the granite is something called Cleopatra (it has swirls of peach or rose along with the predominant gold with black specks). The island has the same granite, but the wood is a honey glazed maple - as is the 'rope' trim on the cherry. No handy pictures, but we like the way the colors came together and having the island a different color than the main cabinetry worked out better than I had originally thought.

• bizydiggin
    16 years ago

For what it worth... I LOVE YOUR GRANITE!! We went with Venetian Gold, and have a darker cherry finish on our cabinets. I love the way the look.

As far as finding a large enough salb for your island (I'm also jealous about this!) The midwest seems to be trending towards having the island a dffierent color than the rest of the counters. Most common color I have seen is an Onyx Black. The thing I can't get on board with here is that they also stain the island cabinets green or red - eeww!! But the black granite on the island is really pretty.

• laurie57
    16 years ago

Wisconsingal: I "took a picture" of your granite slab and Mavs_fan's cabint. Maybe this will help, but beware that computers don't always get it exactly right.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

charliedawg, you gave me a good laugh.

You know, I have learned with my dh to not really pull him into decorating/color decisions too much. Basic general talk of "let's do green in that room" is fine, but specific paint chips and all and he just never thinks it will look good. But surprise of surprises..... he ALWAYS loves what I do when the individual pieces get put together. And then he proceeds to tell me what excellent taste I have. :o) It seems to surprise him every time... isn't that hilarious?

So, point of my little "story"... perhaps you should just "surprise" your dh with the kitchen all put together. Honestly.... that stone is going to look sooo good with your cabinetry. But if you really doubt the combo, I suppose you could take a trip to the granite yard together and see what he has in mind?

Laurie57 was so sweet to make a mock=up. Wish I knew how to do those clever things with computers..... :o)

• juniork
    16 years ago

That looks beautiful together...

Wow, Laurie57...hope you'll be around when I finally get to pick out my kitchen. Makes the pairing of colors so much easier. Could I do that with the Better Homes and Garden software (opened, but only tried it a few times so far...)?

• wisconsingal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW! All I can say is THANK YOU to all of you!!! You really have made me feel a lot better! Laurie57, you are such a doll to have put that together! Now to through a wrench into it, our cabinets are a natural cherry not a darker stained cherry like mavsfan. Here is a photo with the cabinet although the granite color is not quite right in this one....

DH has said I should go with what I want because I am usually right and that he just does not have the same vision.

I am feeling much much more comfortable with all of your wonderful input. I am usually not this sensitive about DH comments but with this being the 2009th decision in the home build I am getting a bit worn out :-) lol

Laurie, could I impose on you a bit to do the same rendering with the natural cherry or let me know if that is software readily available online?

Blessings to all of you!!!

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

I think that this combination looks very nice! It appears as if you have a lot of reds/browns in the "gold" granite which ties into the cherry cabinets. If it was all gold then I think it would be too yellow, but with the other colors it is very complementary. I'm glad your hubby came around...makes it so much easier, doesn't it??

• laurie57
    16 years ago

Wisconsingal,

I'm so sorry, but I haven't been on this thread for over a month, and I didn't see your request. I can't find what I used before yet, and I have to signoff here shortly. I can try later, although it might be too late for you.

I use Better Homes & Gardens Interior Designer 7.08 (not the PRO version). It's GREAT software -- and really addicting. I believe it's available online, but I'm not sure. It's about $60-80. It also allows you to import just about any picture (thumbnail) from manufacturer websites (if they have them). Or you can create a picture and import it - you can use the painter tool or camera software to create a square of just what you want (JPG or BMP), then import it into your materials library.

If you do get it and need a little help, add a new thread with my name in it and I'll try to help. There's also a user forum on their site where I've gotten a lot of help.

• aaac
    16 years ago

Wisconsingal,

Can you post some picks of your countertops with the magma gold? I am looking at the same granite and would like to see what it looks like installed.

Thanks!

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

bizydigin I would love to see your cabinets with Venetian Gold granite, any photos??. I also picked Cherry Pecan cabs and will probably be up to the backsplash tile selection and granite soon. Thanks
    Melanie1121