Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdegraff77

Second floor plan feedback please!

sdegraff77
10 years ago

This is our close to final layout for the second floor!

Hoping for some feedback to see if there is anything we have missed! I have been staring at it for so long now I need some fresh eyes!

Would live feedback on the master bath and closet too!

Comments (4)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Where will you hang your towels for your master shower?

You should read up about inswing toilet room doors... They are dangerous. I'd change yours out to a pocket in both the master and the hall bath.

• sdegraff77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kirkhall,

Hmmmm didnt think about towels! Would the wall by the sink work? or back of the door!

Yes I had asked the architect to change the water closet doors to pocket doors for just that reason!

How does the closet look? Is it big enough?

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

No one but you can say whether your master closets are "big enough"... once you have sufficient aisle space to reach everything, how much storage space you need depends on how much stuff you need to store. ;-)

At least your architect has shown how hanging clothing will fit into the closet and shown that corners are pretty much useless for hanging clothing.

However, if you're concerned with maximizing overall storage space and not with keeping the two closets nearly the same size, you would get more overall storage if you moved the walkway to the bathroom down much nearer to the vanities and made a reach-in closet against the outside hallway wall and a much enlarged walk-in closet on the other side. That would also give you room on the wall near the shower for towel bars.

Overall tho, I think your master bath is fine. And towel bars attached to the back of the bathroom door will work fine so long as the door is a solid core door and not one of those cheap hollow luan things.

Where I would consider making revisions tho is with regard to the laundry room. It looks a bit too skinny to me to be really comfortable. The "linen" area just inside the door is clearly less than the normal 2 ft depth and then the room gets narrower in front of the washer and dryer. It looks like the aisle is barely 4ft wide, if that much. Remember that your washer and dryer will extend out into the aisle about 8 to 10 inches. If you have front loaders, when you have the doors opened, you're going to be pretty much trapped between the two machines.

Plus, IMHO, it is not a good idea to have your washer and dryer right up against your bedroom wall without at least a closet in between the two rooms to muffle the noise. Right now you may be the only one who ever does laundry and you never do it at night when someone would be trying to sleep in the master bedroom. But, If you have kids, eventually they are going to be teen-agers and hopefully take on responsibility for doing their own laundry. I promise you that there will be times when your teen-ager will decide at 1AM that she/he just HAS to wash and dry that favorite blouse, dress, pair of jeans, or sports uniform because they just HAVE TO HAVE IT CLEAN to wear to school in the morning.

So, I would probably change bedroom #3's walk-in closet into a two foot deep reach-in closet. With a walk-in closet, remember that the corners aren't very useable. So if you made the closet a little bit wider (which you have room to do between the current closet and the bedroom door) you wouldn't lose very much overall storage space. Then, I'd use the saved space to widen the laundry room. Then I'd move the washer and dryer so that they were against the wall shared with the reach-in closet which would help to muffle the noise of the machines if the kid living in bedroom #3 is not the one doing laundry in the wee hours of the morning.

Something like this...

• sdegraff77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I love your suggestion for the laundry room! I was just thinking about how it is now with laundry but you are right a teen may well decide 1 am is must do laundry time!

As for the closets my hubby is the clothes hound so I think i am afraid he will take over both! Right now we have one closet about the size of one in this plan that he uses and I have a dresser for my clothes! So any closet would be an upgrade for me!

How you described the closet is how the architect originally had it and we tried to make them more equal. I might take a look back at that closet space to compare.

Thanks you again for your feedback!