Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faulstr_gw

Feedback on Current Draft of House Plan

faulstr
10 years ago

We have been working with the architect on a couple of iterations, and are getting happy with the overall plan although I know we have some more changes to incorporate, so thought this would be a good time to get feedback on the current draft of the plan before we get too close to what we think will be "final".

We are a family of 5 with 5, 4, and 2 year olds. We plan to build within next 1-2 years. There is a possibility that we might have a 4th child in the next few years, or we may not. We hope this to be our forever home, so we want our master on the main floor because my husband already has bad knees and back in his mid thirties. Our kids are already good sleepers at young age and generally sleep 8-8 without waking so not concerned about them being on a separate floor and that will only be less of a concern as they become older.We really like traditional style architecture and going for a look to mimic something more of an older home, although we do want some modern factors in the floor plan.

We are building in a custom subdivision in the St. Louis area that requires over 50% brick (we hope to incorporate some brick on all sides but budget will be a constraint in final decisions), and all lots are approx .75-1.25 acres. Long story but we recently sold the lot we have owned for the past several years because we were offered too good of a price to pass up, so since we were mid-way in designing the plan at that point we are looking at some other lots that should still work for us. Our current first choice would be .75 acre walkout lot with backyard facing north and backing to woods & golf course.

We like the simple symmetrical two-story style of Georgians, but also want to design a floor plan that will be as cost efficient to build as possible while meeting our needs (i.e. want to avoid unnecessary expenses where possible).

Here are some things we are thinking about:
- Not sure if we want the dining room open as currently designed or would rather have large openings to go more with the traditional style (we like lots of trim and moldings)
- Master bedroom windows on side wall will be small square windows higher up on wall so bed will go below them - we currently have them in our master bedroom and like the look
- My husband is the cook and will have more input in the kitchen and he is undecided on the full size side by side fridge and freezer, or a normal combo unit with cabinetry surround
- Will ask for the 2nd floor laundry to be combined with linen closet for 1 larger space
- Will ask about makng the 2nd floor furnace room smaller and adding a small linen closet in the hall
- Will be working with architect to redo back wall window placement on both levels (we recently took the approach to add the single-story master bedroom wing to the first floor which has changed the window layout between the two floors on the back exterior)

Any thoughts regarding the functionality of the design or efficienty of the plan would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

• faulstr
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

2nd Floor

• faulstr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inspiration for Front Exterior - although we have now added a "wing" to the left side of the house, which we believe will still blend well with the style

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I think you need a few walls around your dining room... Your dimensions/pictures are small (even when I click on them), but you have a "floating" powder room right smack in the middle of everything. You'll see it from the front entry, the kitchen (cooking side), and the dining room. I think that is a little odd.

I like your upstairs shared bath layout. Your furnace room probably doesn't need an inswing door, as I imagine it will be closed almost always. Is there a reason not to make it an outswing (so it can be more closet-sized) to get your linen/game storage closet there?

I feel like you have a HUGE loft area. Just huge. And, it is an odd space. How will you use it?

• faulstr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point about te powder room visibility without the dining room walls. We had walls and then removed them thinking it might be nice to be able to flex into the foyer/great room on holidays with extra tables but thinking for everyday it would be better to have the wals.

Agreed on the furnace room.

The loft space will be 2 main areas. At the back next to the steps will be a couch with tv and toy storage. Over by the bedroom will be a corner desk with computers for homework space. We thought about framing the attic over garage as possible expansion in case we'd ever want to add another bedroom

• frozenelves
    10 years ago

It will be very difficult for kids to be doing homework in the same area as other kids watching tv, playing, etc. Just in my experience.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

We've got three kids at about the same age gaps as yours but we're a few years ahead-- they're 11, 12 & 7. Something we've realized we want now is an acoustically separate space that isn't a bedroom on the main floor so DH and I have a quiet place to relax in the evening without having to put our tweens or ourselves to bed ridiculously early.

If we were building your plan, I'd put doors in between the great room/dining room wing and the kitchen/hearth room wing so that people in one space didn't have to necessarily listen to people in the other.

I'd also look at reworking the stairs/powder room/kitchen so that I wasn't spending so much on a bumpout just for stairs, and the powder room wasn't an island in the middle of the floor plan, and there weren't so many ways to walk through the kitchen. There's not a single corner of the kitchen without a doorway. It seems like it would be like cooking in Grand Central Station.

If I were going to build those stairs, I'd increase the bumpout a little more so there could be a window seat on the landing.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

All traffic coming in from the garage has to go through the kitchen. How does the cook feel about that?

• pps7
    10 years ago

Before you proceed any further, I would purchase the lot. You will need to tweek things specific to the lot. I like the overall front elevation inspiration with the exception of the fact that the garage sticks out significantly more that the main house. If you are able to find a wide lot you can avoid that. Many of the 1 acre lots in St. Louis would be able to accomodate a side entry 3 car garage. Also, it would be nice to be able to access the mudroom directly from the outside.

The powder room is really strange and you may want one in the mudroom.
    I would definitely put walls in the dining room and maybe consider putting walls in the great room.

The winters in St. Louis can feel long and I love having the backyard facing south. Also with 3 or possible 4 yound children, you may want to choose a lot that slopes side to side instead of front to back so that at least a portion of your yard will be level with the main floor.

Are you planning a pool?

• alberta81
    10 years ago

You don't have access to your backyard from garage. Your garage entry would benefit from a bathroom, laundry and kitchen all in close proximity. With a hallway to bypass the kitchen.

• faulstr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree that at a minimum we should put walls around the dining room which will help obscure the powder room. But we will also think about different placement for powder room (any ideas?) although I do have to say that conceptually our current powder room is in a similar spot in that it is in between the breakfast room, kitchen, great room, and dining room so we like the fact that it is accessible both when we do more formal entertaining as well as every day use by the kids (my husband and I rarely use it and instead primarily use our master bathroom which is currently upstairs). I get the functionality of having a powder room near the mud room but I would not want that to be the main floor bathroom for guests since I envision our mud room will likely not be the most presentable spot in the house and since we can't afford 2 powder rooms I'd rather have 1 where I think will work best based on how it currently works for us. Also we hope to have a pool and finish some of the walkout basement so there would be a bathroom down there easily accessible from the back yard.

• faulstr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so walks around dining room and great room. I feel like maybe we could move the powder room down into the "hall" space to avoid 2 hallways - one in front and one behind powder room island. Any ideas for how we might design that and bonus could be if we could also add in a butlers pantry or bar space for entertaining. We kind of like the stairs bumped out as we currently have the stairs very similar in our house now and we also plan to use the rear bump out to allow us to mid materials. Ideally we will grade the lot we are looking at to be level off the kitchen / hearth room and then step down the yard around the stairs to be a walkout below the great room and master.