Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurajane02

How would you finish an indoor slide?

laurajane02
10 years ago

Hi!

I've also posted this question in the painting forum, but I would love some advice from some of the talent on this forum. Our slide has been coated with liquid wood and sanded. It now needs some kind of finish to make it really slick. Any ideas?

Main floor to basement:

Basement stair landing:

Comments (25)

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

How about liquid glass?

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! Wax (over paint) was recommended in the paint forum as well. A lot of products seem to be "anti-slip" though, so I guess we'd have to test it first?

We used the slide a lot before the liquid wood went on, and no feet came close to hitting the drywall. If it needs repair down the road though, I'll keep your plywood suggestion in mind.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Oh what fun. My adult DS saw this and was VERY interested in the concept :) He is 22yo and still very much a kid :)

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's like my DH. He likes to have fun like a kid.

Anyway, DH's plan was to have the slide painted with BM Advance paint. Then we would all slide down on wax paper a few times until it was slippery enough. Would this work? I guess we could try it and apply the wax finish if necessary.

• frozenelves
    10 years ago

What about that clear epoxy that they use on bar tops or even a few coats of an oil based poly.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I used to joke that I wanted collapsible stairs that turned into a slide, when my husband's friends were having too much fun in the basement! I could just leave them down there, until they were fit to drive home. I think you've found the next best thing :)

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

You could use gel-gloss. It's a lot like car wax, but intended to be used on household surfaces (sinks, counters, shower enclosures-- not floors). It is very slippery. It comes in liquid and aerosol versions, so you could put a few coats of the liquid on it, and then maintain it with the aerosol version.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Wow, you've got a following! :)

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

polished stainless steel sheet, just like the slide in the ol' schoolyard. prolly cost more than a few shekels, but it would be totally choice

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas! I'll be sure to run them all by my GC, painter, and of course, DH.

Frozenelves~ I think that's what my painter wants to do.

Zone4newby~ I've never heard of gel-gloss, thanks for mentioning it!

FmrQuahog ~ We've also considered having the slide coated in fiberglass, for similar reasons. If the paint doesn't work, we can always cover it in a schoolyard material.

Now to decide what color that slide should be. Our fireman's pole is blue, should they co-ordinate? ;)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I don't like the idea of steel sheeting in this application because of potential sharp edges. Slides on the playground have a hefty steel side that covers the edge of the slide. We have an old school yard slide in our yard and there are no edges or seams anywhere. I'd go with some sort of liquid application first.

Color: is the pole near by? Orange would be beautiful with the blue or a warm yellow. Otherwise if you stayed with primary colors red or yellow.

Safety Feature: How about a bell at the top that rings, or is rung, that signals those below, that someone will be shooting out momentarily :)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

If I remember, your pole is not near this. I think I would try to coordinate it with the room colors. But, that is me. Too much primary colors and it starts to look like a carnival.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that a liquid application should do the job. DH suggested I find out what they use for breakdancing floors.

Enduring ~ Nope, the pole is enclosed in a closet for safety reasons (with the door knobs up high). I like your bell idea.

Kirkhall ~ I've got all my open areas painted BM November Rain, so I'm thinking more along the lines of BM Wedgewood gray for a blue. By the way, we took a lot of your advice with respect to floor plan changes. Now that our house is built, I'm so glad that I posted here for advice. Thank-you!

• LE
    10 years ago

We once got Pledge overspray on our floor when aiming for the piano, and that spot was a slippery hazard for many months before normal traction returned.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Don't use Pledge! It's silicone based, and yes, that IS slippery. But, if you ever want to paint again, or apply the fiberglass, that silicone will retard adhesion. You'd have to sand it all the way back to the bare wood. Silicone is insidious stuff.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the warning, Hollysprings. We'll be sure to stay away from silicone products.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Use the paste wax meant for hardwood floors or cars - spread it very thinly and then send the kids down sitting on towels to buff it out.

You could get a custom sheet metal lining, with the seams and edges bent in the brake for safety, but that would cost a bundle.

• Eric Brethour
    8 years ago

what material did you use to make the trough of the slide? Is it a wood construction, fiberglass, or some other material?

• Carissa Black Engle
    6 years ago

I would love to see your finished product

• Ron Natalie
    6 years ago

Cool, I had originally asked for a slide but we ended up with a fire pole instead.

• Nikki N
    6 years ago

Wow! I can't wait to see this finished. Love it!

• fixer687
    6 years ago

The only enduring surface would be gel-coat over fiberglass.

• Holly Stockley
    6 years ago

I misread the question the first time and thought, "Well, how about an Alligator pool?"

;-)

• PRO
    allred&associates
    3 years ago

How did you make this shape in the first place?