Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessrae_gw

Master Suite - Layout Help Needed

jessrae
11 years ago

Hi! We are in the process of drawing up the plans for our new home and need some help figuring out the master suite. We have a 21 x 23 space to work with. I've attached a draft of the current plan. It is an open slate so I was hoping to get some advice on the best layout. The only things that need to stay are: 1) the doorway into the room needs to stay in the same vicinity and 2)the bump out at the front of the house (FYI - there are windows running across the bump out.) Other than that, the rooms can be switched around, closets moved, whatever will give us the best layout. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (11)

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

I actually think the master is fine...although The bed wall is a bit too long for me. I am kinda stickler for enough room for the bed and nighstands and don't like all the extra space around it. My main issue is with the bathroom. It eats up alot of floor space. It seems too long. But I don't know how the rest of the hose looks so I am not sure how to change it.

• jessrae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks gaonmymind. We kept some extra room along the bed wall so that we can switch to a king bed at some point. I've tried to toy around with the arrangement (the bath does seem long and narrow), but can't come up with anything better.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Does the bump out go all the way to the ground below? Or is it an overhang over the first floor? If it doesn't "have a bottom" if you will and is an overhang, I would not want to put any plumbing in their, insulation or not.

Are there windows in the bedroom? closet?

I know people like to put tubs in front of windows, but it never made sense to me. I know from a look point of view it's great, but when you're in the tub, the window is too high up to see out of and may cause drafts. Else the window causes privacy issues so has to be covered anyway. We open our windows all the time and want to be able to walk up to them to do that. With a tub in front, I know Dh would be stepping in, shoes and all, scratching the tub, to get to the window.

You might want to look at other floor plans to see how they lay out the master suite. The natural tendency is to put things up against the walls as you have done, but it may not be the best option.

• jessrae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh - the bump out does go all the way down. This area is the bonus room over our garage, so there will be windows on 3 sides: 3 windows going across the bump out by the tub, 1 window in the toilet room, 1 in each closet and a few high windows across the wall by the head of the bed and then a window on each side of the bed. Of course if we change the layout, this would change as well. The windows in front of the tub are needed to make the front of the house look right. We aren't bath tub people, so the tub isn't going to get used too much. We'd just put in blinds that can pull down from the top and leave the bottom part of the window covered all the time for privacy.

• DreamHomeDreamer
    11 years ago

I think it would be better to have two walls of windows in your master bedroom. So that would be either putting the bedroom in the back left corner or the front left corner. Also - if you don't plan on using the tub often, do you really want it taking up space or would you rather have that space for something more valuable?

• DreamHomeDreamer
    11 years ago

You asked for alternative layouts so here are two options for you. Just options - I am not offended if neither work for you.

• DreamHomeDreamer
    11 years ago

Here is the 3D view... I don't know how to attach multiple files.

• DreamHomeDreamer
    11 years ago

I clearly have too much time tonight...

I on this one, I added a tub and moved the entry so that the closet would be in the hallway.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

I like the last one best!

• jessrae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions Dream Home Dreamer! While we won't use the tub too often, all the homes around us have a separate tub/shower in the master. So for resale, we really want to have one. And maybe one day I'll actually have the time to soak in the tub (I have a 2 and 4 year old right now, so it's not happening anytime soon!)

• jessrae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions Dream Home Dreamer! While we won't use the tub too often, all the homes around us have a separate tub/shower in the master. So for resale, we really want to have one. And maybe one day I'll actually have the time to soak in the tub (I have a 2 and 4 year old right now, so it's not happening anytime soon!)