Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior Walls width/height

Posted by DanV1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 17:48

Hi
I hope this is the right forum to ask this.

In designing a house - in this case I'm using Sketchup - I'm trying to take not only the design into account but also the ratios of some things. In particular, the width of interior walls relative to height and materials
For example, the house I'm designing would be for the southwestern U.S. desert climate and with some examples I've seen concrete outer walls at 24 inches. With concrete walls that thick I'm thinking that the standard of 4-6 inches for interior walls goes right out the window. Then there is of course the roof load upon the interior walls.

So, using concrete, or even rammed earth, what would be an adequate width for interior walls at 16 feet high and an extra 2 feet for the roof assembly? I've read somewhere that there is a ratio of 1/10th to height and if that is so then the interior walls would be 1.6 to 1.8?

Thanks

Daniel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior Walls width/height

I can't think of a reason the interior wall thickness would be influenced by the exterior walls or the roof structure. You need to consult a professional in the region.

o

Our house is concrete. The outer walls are 16.5" thick. The interior walls are normal size using 2x4s and drywall. I never considered that they should be thicker because the exterior walls are thicker than normal.

o

What is the purpose of such thick concrete?

o

I have seen houses with high ceilings put in extra thick walls. They can look a little spindly when they are only a few inches thick and are 12'+ high.

However, it's only an issue where the end of a wall is visible, like the edge of a partition wall. If your wall wraps around a corner, or has door casings, the thinness of the walls isn't as apparent. And since thicker walls take up square footage, and cost more to build, you wouldn't want to do it where it wasn't really obvious.

o

Renovator8 - If your question was directed to me, the outer walls are not all concrete, they are concrete, rigid insulation, stud walls and drywall. The reason behind the construction method is because it was built to be Passive House certified.

o

Thank you all for your comments. :-)

Here's an example of a structure with 24 inch outer walls. Skip the intro, when the name appears click on it then Projects > Built > Desert City House. There are some interior shots but I don't see anything that could be considered a "standard" interior wall.

http://www.masastudio.com/2012/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here