Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Need advice ASAP!!!!!! Must give marching orders.

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi, everyone.
Apparently our architects have a 1X3 foot cantilevered area over our front stoop spec'ed in the kitchen. There is no reason for it other than it was a holdover from a previous iteration of the plan when we were trying to cut out some corners in the foundation that didn't get adjusted in later iterations. GC wants to jog in the wall there to keep it over the foundation because he thinks the cantilevered area will attract pests due to its proximity to the ground/stoop.

Architects say the potential problems can be solve by tying the concrete pour for the stoop into the foundation under the cantilevered area. Yes? No? I really don't want to lose a foot of my kitchen wall if I don't have to, especially since that's where I was going to put my refrigerator.
I've attached an image of the change I don't think I want want to make.

Thanks!

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 23:29

Comments (3)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I'm with the GC. An overhang requires more insulation. Around here, concrete is crazy expensive. I don't think an extra foot of kitchen counter would be worth it.

You'd also want to consider what that looks like from the outside.

• sherilynn
    9 years ago

I *agree*, but make sure you still have room for your refrigerator. You're learning what all of us have learned building a 'custom' home. It's a series of compromises and improvisations. It's also frustrating. I'm sure it will be fine.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Can you post a full shot of your kitchen?

I'm trying to figure out how much this is going to mess with the big picture and if it's worth going back to the architect for another solution.