Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcinkc71

big oops, beam to short!

kcinkc71
10 years ago

was just at my new build. steel beams are in place and framing/first floor decking has begun. I noticed that a column in the basement was not aligned (as designed) looked up and steel beam A is 8" short (hence the out of place column. beam is supposed to be 40', measure at 39'4"! are you kidding me? the beam above it is not on top to carry the load. don't know who order the beam or why they put it in. Options? new beam? can they lengthen beam by welding on a part and bolting? Obviously I want the proper beam, but I can hear the BS already. Any changes besides a new beam will be signed off by engineering firm on their dime. I'm having some builder butt for breakfast come Monday morning!

Comments (6)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Histrionics and crass language won't help to resolve the problem. Ask the contractor to tell you how it will be corrected at no cost to you and without modifying the architectural design and wait for an answer. Just hope the error was not caused by someone working directly for you.

The last person to be able to avoid the mistake was probably the person who approved the shop drawings and that should have been the engineer of record. If the installed column was offset, its location and that of the foundation is probably also wrong.

• kcinkc71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, thought I ws being a little restrained, I didn't mean to offend, just a little frustrated. The drawings show the beam to be 40'. It is short by 8". I will find out who was responsible for ordering the beam. There is a 2' square pad under the column. The column is just off center by those same 8".
    I guess I'm just ticked that I, as the home owner (who hired a GC) found this. And the framers just went on their way, even though they had marked the floor where the column was supposed to be. Was anyone going to say anything? I will try to be calm and collected, but I think I am owed some answers. I have a friend who is a structural engineer and he is going to have a look for me.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Mistakes are made all the time (heck, I even make them!), but they are usually solvable, one way or another. Your best bet is to have your friend the engineer look at the site conditions and give an opinion of where to go from here.

Your GC should be your friend, and asking her/him "how do we implement the engineer's recommendation, with no cost to me?" is the question for which an answer is needed.

Good luck on your project.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Are you sure your builder is unaware of the problem/planning not to fix it?

I wouldn't want to start the conversation with the implicit assumption that he's happily going to stick you with a home that's structurally unsound.

I'd probably say something along the lines of "I noticed this on the site over the weekend. What is your plan to address it?" and then go from there.

• kcinkc71
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Builder said "nice catch by you". meeting was cordial, told him I wanted it built per plan, any repairs or changes needed sign off by engineer who stamped original.
    As VC said, there is a solution, might cost THEM more than they want, but they know where we stand, and they get it. I'll let you know what the Eng. say. originally builder wanted to send out his welders for a fix, I said I wanted eng. sign off before anything happens (in writing)

• worthy
    10 years ago

Unlike a mistake in surgery, an error in construction measurement can be corrected without any harm done. I'm a subject of both and I much prefer the latter to the former! (And probably why I don't "freak" at construction slipups.)

The beam should have been measured at or shortly after delivery. I've had short beams welded or replaced before installation. If it has to be removed--by crane no doubt--for modification, responsibility will have to be determined to cover the cost.