Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie9142

Painters prepped wood for painting instead of stain

carrie9142
10 years ago

Hi all. Long time lurker!

Just did a walk through with the painters. They apparently didn't have the most updated spec sheet .They caulked and spackled the nail holes in the trim that we thought was going to be stained. It is stained grade wood vs the rest of the house.

Basically my question is: is that reversible? How much effort and time would that require? It isn't a huge deal to me, but I would like it to be the way I planned. The painters kinda hedged on it, I got the impression it could be done but that they didn't want to ;)

I would appreciate any insight!

Comments (10)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

I don't know but I its seems a shame to paint over stain grade wood. Perhaps they can replace it and save for a painted job in the future. Or move to a location in the house that will be painted.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

The only way to have an acceptable stain finish at this point is IF all of the opaque spackle, caulk and filler can be completely removed. That's probably not possible.

Most likely there are two alternatives: 1) replacement; 2) paint finish.

Sorry that there isn't a magical cure!

• carrie9142
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crap. I'm seriously annoyed. We specified paint grade wood. So the filler wont hold a stain at all? could I just paint over those little spots with a dark paint color?

Thanks for the expertise : )

• millworkman
    10 years ago

If it were specified correctly make the responsible party pay to replace it.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Their error, someone on their team (GC or paint) needs to pay to get it fixed right.

• carrie9142
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I honestly don't know who dropped the ball. It was a team effort. Originally we had specified white trim throughout. Doing a walk through w/trim guy, my husband decided he wanted stained trim in his office. So we knew, the trim guy knew, the PM knew, but no one really wrote it down or communicated with the painters. I did think part of it was in the specs, but I can't find it.

I don't know if it would be worth the time and effort for it potentially to be, I don't know, ripped out and redone.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

It should be redone if you asked for it before hand and paid for the upgraded stain grade trim. Don't feel bad. This isn't the first or last time they have had to redo some trim I would imagine. If it was your mistake, still have it redone, don't try to dab dark paint on it, that's worse than just painting the nicer wood.

• worthy
    10 years ago

no one really wrote it down or communicated with the painters

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that explanation....

That's why every change must be written and communicated. Otherwise, you've got a party game.

• galore2112
    10 years ago

"We specified paint grade wood. "

???????

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

ZOMG.
    At least it's just the one room (den) that will need replacement.
    Casey