Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khoene

Thoughts on elevations & floor plans before final approval

khoene
9 years ago

Hello,
We have received the first draft of the elevation and floor plans from our architect. The architect did two different versions - one flat and one with a 1:12 sloped roof. She said the 1:12 roof could be accomplished with a metal roof, while the flat roof would have to be some type of membrane (EPDM). We live in Illinois - hot summers and cold winters with some snow. She suggested keeping a slope because it would be much more maintenance for the flat roof. We're looking for thoughts/suggestions/feedback on the elevation plans and/or floor plans before giving the architect final approval. Are flat roofs a pain? Are contruction costs more for a flat roof? More maintenance? Not last as long? Thanks for any help!!!

Also, I'm not sure why she included an additional column in front of the kitchen window, but we will have her remove that. We will ask to remove the steps to the back patio so the patio is flush with the back of the house.

Front/Back Pitched

Sides Pitched

Front/Back Flat

Sides Flat

Main Floor

Second Floor

Basement

Here was the elevation picture we were using for inspiration.

Contemporary Exterior by Fort Lauderdale General Contractors Barron Development Corp.

Comments (6)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Other than the master bathroom, is there a bathroom on the main level? (It was hard for me to discern, but I didn't see one).

And, if you have a pool, will you have a separate pool house, or not? If not, where is the nearest toilet and shower to the pool?

I would put doors on the J&J's bath/shared closet. The question of if you need them/want them can be asked of the local inspectors--what size fan, and in which rooms, will they require for that space. In my area, they would have required a fan in the toilet room, as well as the "bathroom" and the bathroom fan would have needed to be sized sufficiently to pull air for the ENTIRE area including closet space, since there are no doors...

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The "flat" roofing will actually have a slope of 1/4" per foot. The deck can be flat and the insulation sloped. It can slope to perimeter scuppers or an internal drain so the roof edges can be level.

I would not use manufactured residential metal roofing on a slope of 1 in 12. Below any metal roofing I would install a layer of Ice & Water Shield. At 1 in 12 you may need to use a system that can be field soldered. Metal roofing should be much more expensive than single-ply membrane roofing. The only maintenance needed for membrane roofing is checking the seams each year and keeping the drains working.

Have you reviewed these issues with a roofer?

• khoene
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kirkhall,
    Sorry, I realize my hand-drawn plans are a bit difficult to see, but they have more details than the plans given to us by the architect. There is a powder room off the foyer and an attached poolhouse off the back of the garage by the mudroom.

Thanks for the note about doors between my girls' bathroom and closet. We have been debating the doors and will prob include them.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Do the girls share clothes? If not, I would put in separate closets. I might anyway, just to decrease the traffic in the bathroom. Seems to me if one kid wants to take a long bath with the doors locked, the other one can't get a change of clothes.

You have a climbing wall in the house? Sweet!

You have plenty of room to make the basement powder room bigger. In fact, a second PR down there might not be a bad idea - I can see room for a HUGE party down there!

• khoene
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annkh,
    Yes, my girls are 19 months apart and are the same size. My wife and I are tired of figuring out whose closet to put clothes in. I think the climbing wall will be cool too! Yea, we have the room to make the basement bathroom bigger, but should we? We have the occasional party (max one a year), but don't think a second bathroom would be used more than once a year. May make that bathroom a bit bigger though.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

My twins are 12 and still the same size and everything goes in one big closet. Then they just battle it out.

Very cool house. Different but good.

Is the outside Dryvit? I don't know what your propert in Il is like but be careful. Woodpeckers love this stuff.