Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floor Trusses

Posted by IowaHawks (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 16:39

Can you span a trimmable end floor truss 28' without having a support beam? Im not wanting a pole in the middle of my rec room in the basement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floor Trusses

They might have to be 18 or 20 inches deep or 12" o.c.

o

Yes, Take your drawings to a truss plant. Show them what you want to do. They will show you what is possible. You may have choices in the matter, then you will start to learn about deflection. Its easy...take your drawings in and ask for help and tell them of your concerns. You should have all the info you will need in no time.

Al

o

Thanks a lot for your responses. I really appreciate it! Would the local lumber yard be able to tell me the same thing?

o

No......but any truss plant can and will. Your a potential customer. They will put your load on a cad and give you your options. Thats how custom or one of a kind homes are done.

Al

o

No......but any truss plant can and will. Your a potential customer. They will put your load on a cad and give you your options. Thats how custom or one of a kind homes are done. Dont guess.

Al

o

Yes, the local lumber yards will forward the info to the truss company they work with.

I submitted my plans to three or four lumberyard/suppliers and I believe three of them all used EBD Truss (Engineered Building Design here in Iowa). Tried to contact them directly with some questions and they referred me back to the lumberyard.

o

Ahhh.....ok. I buy direct. If you went to them first they might have delt directly with you. I dont pay a middle man.
Yes, they will be engineered floor trusses. If given choices i would go up one or two grades in strength for minimal deflection if your budget can stand it. Who wants bounce in there floors?
Best of luck
Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here