Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardware vendor suggestions...

Posted by aucorley (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 15:54

We are looking to place oil bronzed hardware on all the interior doors. I know this is a trend and many others may have bought this style hardware. I have looked online and found them anywhere from $8-$30. Outside Lowes/Home Depot, Amazon and myknobs.com are two sites.

Has anyone else bought them and if so where?

Thanks a bunch!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardware vendor suggestions...

"Venetian" and "Oil Rubbed" are old art terms that describe the addition of polished highlights to aged (oxidized) statuary bronze that turns a rich red brown color because of it's 90% copper content. Brass normally contains about 70% copper.

Since copper is expensive and it takes a long time for bronze to darken naturally, modern manufacturers take some short cuts in the factory.

The cheapest simulated aged bronze finish is paint.

Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of brass plating.

Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of solid brass.

Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of copper plating on solid brass (probably the best compromise of cost and quality).

Top of the line is the chemically accelerated oxidation of high copper content cast bronze.

It is very difficult to get reliable information from manufacturers about how they achieve an ORB or Venetian Bronze finish so be careful and be prepared for a finish that not only wears unpredictably but may be difficult to touch up or refinish.

o

directdoorhardware.com might be worth a try although I don't know how they compare price-wise

o

Usually, the only way you can determine the materials, the method of finish and the performance grade is to look for the ANSI/BHMA product number. Unfortunately, you will need ANSI/BHMA standard 156.18 to decipher it, but any architect or door/cabinet hardware store should have a copy of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here