Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardie Plank Peeling?

Posted by schreibdave (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 15:47

We are at the point where we need to select our siding. Considering James Hardie 'Hardie Plank.' Our builder says that he has built 12 house with the product in the last few years and that 3 have had problems with peeling paint. This is the paint that is applied by the manufacturer. He also says that the company is very unresponsive to his calls for warranty coverage.

This has made us reconsider going with Hardie. Our next choice would be an updraded vinyl.

I have faith that the builder is installing the siding correctly and that he has no selfish reason for expressing concern about the Hardie product.

Has anybody else had experience with pre-painted Hardieplank peeling? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardie Plank Peeling?

Only have experience with pre-primed and then paint on-site and no issues with any of those. Old house had it installed and painted 6 years ago and it looked freshly painted.

o

Same situation as lyfia. Our paint job still looks good after 4 years.

o

We have certainteed fiber cement siding which is essentially the same as Hardi Plank except the warranty for the prefinished is longer (I think we have a 20 year warranty). If you are leery of the Hardi Plank, consider the certainteed. Fiber cement siding is much nicer than vinyl IMO. Hardi Plank is more work to install than vinyl, and that may be coloring your builder's advice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: siding info

o
RE: Hardie Plank Peeling?------------

Here's the link I intended to post

Here is a link that might be useful: siding info

o

Very good link for comparing three different brands of cement/fiber board. Thanks!

o

Painted on site. One year in...so far...so good.

o

I would concur with the suggestion to check out certainteed fiber cement if your builder is not happy with hardie plank.

What concerns me is not the product failure (because it sounds like a fluke - maybe a bad batch of materials or something?) but the company's reported response.

Knock on wood, our pre-painted hardie has not peeled or shown any sign of wear but if it does, I'd hate to think the company would leave us high and dry.

I did a quick and dirty search for paint peeling problems with hardie. On the Internet, I found only one report of peeling problems and that was with the primed board painted on site. It was suggested it was bad primer. I also did a newspaper search looking for newstories on product related lawsuits against the company. I didn't find anything in regards to peeling.

o

I agree with the suggestions for Certainteed, this is what we have ordered (can't wait to see it!), haven't heard anything bad about hardie, they just didn't offer the pre-stained. A friend used the pre-painted hardie 3 years ago, and so far no issues, could have been bad paint at the factory. I agree with the customer service factor though, you don't want to have to deal with an unresponsive company if that's what it comes to!

o

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will look into whether the builder's siding sub might be doing something wong. I cant find anything on the web that indicates that peeling is a common problem.

o

Cynical input alert: Hardiplank is much harder to install than vinyl. We've had ours for over 2 years and the factory painted color looks brand new (and I live in weather extreme NY state). My guess is your contractor is trying to guide you away from the hardiplank to something easier. If I am way off base, than you have my apologies.
Jo

o

Sorry to report we are experiencing similar problems with peeling and scaling of the pre-finished Khaki Brown hardiplank. We noticed the problem shortly before the one-year anniversary of the installation.

To say the company has been unresponsive is quite an understatement. After almost two months and no response to submitting our claim, a telephone call to them revealed they could not find our claim. All information was then emailed. Another follow-up call to them revealed they were not going to do anything and cited "improper installation" which is definitely not the case. They suggested there was not enough tapering for the water runoff. Yet our neighbor just installed the product and the very strip that is sold by hardiplank itself contains no tapering at all. They refused to have their sales consultant located in the area to come by and do a proper assessment.

About a week later, my husband received a telephone call from the company indicating they will pay for the affected boards only.

The company is supposedly sending us a letter that will outline their reasons for not fully covering their product and a cheque for the dozen or so affected boards. I am anxiously awaiting this letter before I determine what I do next. I think the company is experiencing some complaints and decided to rethink their decision when my husband pointed out discrepancies in their reasoning with their own installation instructions and the building materials they supply.

HardiPlank should not be selling their product in northern climates if it can't withstand snow and rain conditions. The sad part of this is that we did not choose Hardiplank without researching and comparing it to other products. It was very much a well-thought out and planned decision. I guess you really find out what 'warranty' means when you have problems.

o
RE: Hardie Plank Peeling? Followup

Here is a quote I discovered on another home building site:

Is it in snow country? Will there be snow and ice piled up against the walls of the house during the winter? If so, rethink the Hardiplank idea. Hardiplank has a serious problem with paint peeling off in areas where snow piles up against it. Don't know what the reason is, or what the mechanism for the problem is, just that a local Hardie rep admitted that paint peeling problems are an issue in Alpine climates. It is a real problem with dozens of houses in central Idaho in snow country. I've seen it.

o

Anyone with paint peeling/cracking on HardiePlank Colorplus lap siding [the pre-painted stuff] please email me. Particularly interested in Canadian and the Northern States.
thanx.

o

Hi J,

I live in Newfoundland. The Hardiplank was purchased on August 23, 2006 and installed in May 2007. Contractors are difficult to come by in this area right now as there is a construction boom happening. The product codes are U2133605ARPW IASI AA-690 NER405.

Maisie

o

For what it's worth, my contractor - who has had some trouble with Hardie peeling on homes that he has built - believes that the problem was due to his installing a strip of cedar directly below the cedar. The cedar absorbed water and it was wicked into the Hardie. Says that those areas are the only ones where he has trouble with it. He says that Hardie used to recomend this practice but now does not.

o

schreibdave,
Don't quite follow what you are saying by:
"installing a strip of cedar directly below the cedar".
Are you referring to the starter strip at the bottom of the first HardiePlank course?
J.

o

sorry for the lack of clarity.

I dont think he was referring to the starter strip. I think he was referring to a piece of cedar that he installed directly below the lowest course of Hardie where the Hardie intersected with a roofline. Without that piece of cedar there, about 2 inches of the aluminum flashing is visible. He was trying to cover the flashing so it would not be visible. He thinks that that practice allowed water to wick from the cedar to the hardie and resulted in peeling. He believes that Hardie had endorsed that practice but changed their tune as a result of the peeling problems that we discussed.

o

We have the primed Hardie that we painted ourselves. Hardie is so much more durable than vinyl.

o

We had HP installed 2 yrs ago. We live in NE Illinois. Started to peel after 1 year as well as swell, warp and separate - like wet cardboard. We are very dissatified with this product. We will have to repaint our house and hope it lasts until we can sell it. Will never use this product again, unless there are significant improvements in it's preformance. It should not be sold in this part of the US. It's not as great as everyone says.

o

Vansacl -

Are you sure that the Hardi was installed properly? I have heard of peeling but nothing to the extent that you describe.

Is it doing this just in areas where the hardie meets a roofline or everywhere?

o

We have the same problem as mentioned above.
4 years ago we put hardy plank on our house and within the first year we had problems, hardy did replace he defective boards after much ado and they sited contractor error as usual The whole experience was enormously belittling for me as a customer. We had more and more planks fail every year.
We tried this year to have the defective planks replaced and we run into the same stone wall attitude, we hired a lawyer and even that did not deter them.
We are at the point of filling a law suit and were wondering if there are enough people out there to make this a class action suit, hardy knows that this is a problem yet continues to sell the product.
if any one care to join us let us know

o

Levasplace - What "contractor error" did Hardie point to? For those of us still building, it would be useful to know ahead of time what Hardie considers an "error." Thanks and good luck

o

I have a house less than one year old with stained Hardie Plank. It has literally blown off the house, it is peeling, cracking and warping badly. I hired an attorney, structural engineer and forensic architect. I will get new siding as there is a strong consumer law in South Dakota for new home construction. This stained product was discontinued - I believe it was because of defects. The Hardie Plank factory rep. is looking at the house tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he has to say. I was advised by my engineer to have this replaced with the Hardie factory painted product.

o

richd,

My siding guy (I've known him for quite some time and he's considered "the best") told us not to get the pre-painted ColorPlus Hardie. Said it was NOT a good product. We ended up still going pre-painted, but had it done through a separate factory.

o

Hardi is trying to Dodge this issue. It is very real out there. If you look at their installation instructions from 2001 till today they are night and day difference. Why do you think that is?? They saw the error of their ways and started to cover their butt!! There needs to be something done about this. Hardi blames Weiss or the installer. (Weiss supposedly did the painting of the raw boards) Rumor has it that Weiss let the raw hardi set outside until they were ready to finish it. Therefore not properly controlling the climate it was exposed to before the painting. Also there is what they call Microcracking. The 12' prefinished hardi board is NOT suppose to flex. If it does, (which happens when an entire pallet is picked up with a forlift) the paint Microcracks and over time water gets in it and slowly chips away with the freeze thaw cycle. This could be why site finished hardi is not having issues. The installation manual is so specific now I would not touch the installaton, it is written so 100% of the fault will lie with the installer. (not that they are honoring their warranty now). In my opinion if the installer were to follow the manuel to the Tee, no one would be able to afford to have it installed.

o

We installed Hardie siding in November 2006. We noticed cracking and micro fissures after that first winter. Hardie sent out an inspector and we filed a warranty claim. He agreed that it was not an installation problem after much talk but blamed it on the PPG factory that painted it a custom color. PPG ran a piece through their lab and proved that the paint was in the cracks meaning that it arrived to be painted already cracked. Hardie receieved a sample at their lab in California as well. I received a phone call from Hardie this past August which basically said they were pointing the finger back at PPG. Hardie people are the most frustrating company to work with--as they are not honoring their warranty. If you are in business, step up to the plate, Hardie, and take care of your customers!
I hired a lawyer to start proceedings for a lawsuit as I want the product totally removed since 90% of my boards are bad. Of course, the lawyer got no where with Hardie. Please let me know about a class action suit.

o

Saw your note posted on GardenWeb blog.

We had similar peeling and scaling of the ColorPlus product after just one year. Our house was still under builder warranty, so we first contacted our builder, who replaced the boards with new ones, following new instructions from HardiPlank called "best practices" -- which were different instructions from when our house was built and also different from when my builder installed this same product on another home several years ago. However, when the same problem reoccurred, we contacted the JamesHardi Company, filed the warranty claim and heard back immediately.

We have our builder involved and his supplier and the Hardi company has sent several reps out to look at the problem. They initially tried to blame the problems on incorrect installation, but when they came out to my house, they found that my builder re-installed two sections following the directions for Hardi's "best practices" --and saw that the same problem reoccurred.

At this point, we have prevailed. The company sent us a contract to replace all the affected boards at their expense. Their remedy will be to replace the boards, prime the back of the boards -- which amazingly are unfinished -- prime all cut sides and then also paint over the ColorPlus product on site as an extra "sealing". We are on a schedule to have the work done this spring.

We will be watching closely to make sure all of the affected boards are replaced and will definitely be on top of things if the problem reoccurs.

I am not convinced that this remedy will work, but since the company is sending their people out to do the work at their expense, we'll give it a try.

It seems to me that the product should be factory finished on the back side as well as the front -- I was floored when I realized that the back side of the boards are not sealed at all -- especially since their installation instructions specify sealing all cut ends.

The company tried to tell us that the problem is occurring because we don't have gutters on our house and that rain bounces off those roofs. While this is true, the areas that have been most affected are ones along the roof lines of porches, where snow builds up and sits over the winter. Hey, we live in Maine and snow is a fact of life here. This product is a house siding that should be able to withstand snow and rain!

BTW, another homeowner not far from here had this same repair done in the fall of '08 under the Hardi warranty and he said the contractor told him he's been traveling around the country doing these same replacements as a full time job. That ought to tell us something!

Would love to hear back if you learn of any class action.
Gerri

o

I do not have a problem with peeling. last winter I notice that my siding was discoloring in spots. i notified james hardin what was happing to the siding. They sent a rep. out to take pictures. Ater a few weeks they called and told me that it was the contracter fault--- he did not apply the counking right. When I told them I felt it was touch-up paint (JH-10-30) that the contracter used to cover the nail holes that was the problem---they told me that it was not covered under the warrantee even though it was their touch-up paint that cause the problem. Lucky for us our neighbor down the steet used the same contractor and the same color with the same results. We have other neighbors that have used Hardie products and have not experience the same problem. Two questons--- has anyone had problems with the color yellow and had problems with this touch-up paint.

o

I have 12 year old pre-primed then painted on site Hardee. Paint is still perfectly bonded...no need to repaint in the foreseeable future. Pic....

Here is a link that might be useful: Siding

o

Unfortunately most of your concerns are valid. I was a "James Hardie Preferred Remodeler" for over 6 years, and have installed it on over 400 homes. The last several years have been cold and wet and Ive noticed an increased frequency in client warranty concerns both on the field painted and prefinished siding and trim products. I dropped the James Hardie line this year after realizing that despite proper installation / finishing this product was actually failing faster than the wood based products it was designed to replace. The final straw for me was when a valued client "blew up" after the product began delaminating at a roof line (despite the recommended 2" clearance) after only 3 years. The clients original Masonite siding had taken 14 years to do the same thing.

As a previous poster (BUD1 2009) had pointed out, the Hardie Installation instructions have radically changed in 5 years while the product hadnt changed at all until late 2009. This means that even the most informed, capable, well meaning installers didnt have accurate information to work from. There are similar discrepancies in the published "Legacy Reports" (Engineering Data which provides specifics on shear values, wind resistance, ect.). I made it point to keep all the installation instructions and manuals provided (as well as photograph product failures)- I figured it might come in handy!

I want to be clear- Im sure in dry, warmer climates (or walls) the product does fine. But in wet, cold climates this product really struggles especially in areas where moisture and snow tend to collect. My problem is these are the areas where people expected this product not to fail. Also, peeling paint is really just the "tip of iceberg". The unsealed back side of this product seems to "wick" moisture from surrounding areas which then (when frozen) delaminates the product or (in warmer climates), provides a wonderful base for mold and mildew.

James Hardie and the contractors who are still selling this product are quick to blame faulty installation or poor quality when problems arise- but when compared to the installation instructions provided at the time this may not be the case. Alternatively, some of these concerns are "quickly dismissed" to a new customer by indicating the product has been somehow upgraded or changed. That story sounds far too similar to what was said 5 years ago.

You also shouldnt ignore the warranty was recently changed from 50 years to 30 and the trim is only warranted for 10!

o

Our house is 5 years old and we are experiencing peeling on our Hardiplank. I am in the South East.

We had an unusually wet and cold winter. I noticed on a cold wet day, areas of bubbling on the Hardiplank as if water was trapped. The paint rippled. After it dried out, it appears that the Hardi is separating and the paint has fallen off the area exposing a very rough surface.

I am extremely disappointed as I expected the product to last much longer.

o

I started this thread almost 2 yrs ago. Thanks for keeping it going. We put the red factory-painted hardie on our house and so far we have not had a problem - but it's obviously early. The one thing that I dont like about it is how easily it chips and gets marked up. Put a ladder up against it, or nudge it with the lawn mower and your left with a permanent reminder of that mistake. I suspect that after 20 yrs of those accumulated mistakes, it's gonna look pretty ratty.

o

Do you all think it's a function of Hardieplank (as in Nichita might be better), or a function of all fiber cement siding?

o

Fifteen years and no trouble whatsoever with primed Hardie.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Hardieplank has been used in Aust for many years. I have never heard of any problems as described...but....we don't have prepainted here....as far as I know. I have been living in my current house for over two years, still getting around to painting the exterior...one day..so far no problems even on the exposed side.

o

I'm also curious if this could be a problem with Nichia as well, as we are planning to use it in our new construction (Virginia). This thread is scary.

o

formerhardieguy,

I am having problems with my pre-painted hardiplank blistering and delaminating. Do you have copies of the manuals, etc. that would have been in effect in 2003?

o
Hardie Plank Failing

ga085,
Sorry for the delay (work has been busy!)
In 2003 Hardie provided only installation instructions (1-2 pages) They did not supply detailed installation manuals to the public (or their "preferred installers")- I will dig up what I have for you-- The problem being those instructions (2003) are far less detailed (1-2 pages) than those currently provided (20+ manual).
You might send me (or post) some pics of the problems (so I can troubleshoot it for you)-
Also- ANYONE requesting warranty service from Hardie should ensure the adjuster PROVIDES a copy of the instructions (SPECIFIC TO YEAR INSTALLED)- you do not want your claim to be denied based on the "convenient hindsight" of the current installation specs.

Disclaimer- I have been a "james hardie preferred installer / preferred remodeler" of this product since 2003- I have installed this product on hundreds of homes (including several of my own)... That being said- I am not, nor was ever, an employee of James Hardie, and can obviously not speak on their behalf.

o

Oh my goodness srercrcr, that is one pretty house...we are looking to build one kind of like that....How many rooms to you have and all...We are supposed to use Hardie Board, but after seeing all these posts I am not sure. I showed my husband this thread. (he agrees the house is really pretty btw) We live in Texas...this year like most of the South and East has been the coldest and wettest in all my memory...it still is cool here which is unheard of...anyhow I am not sure we should go the hardie plank way....I am glad of this thread.

o

I wonder, after reading this thread. how many are installed directly over the newer vapour barriers? Typar, Tyvek, etc.

I've used it as a consumer and have also done a small amount of installation as a sort of renovator for years here in Canada. Both in Calgary (cold, snow, hot summers, hail, etc.) and on the west coast (wind, rain, freezing rain, some snow) and have had none of the issues spoken of here.

We use the primed planks, prime again in the field all six sides and then paint all six sides, install over building paper with some sort of rain screen (the siding stands off the sheathing a bit with the top and bottom open to air) and, finally, top coat the finished install.

I've trimmed with primed and painted cedar, Hardi trim, Aztek and those primed, combed one side boards (whatever they are made out of) at various times and neither my persoanal home, any of the few spec homes or the rentals we hold have shown any of the things discussed here.

So...maybe the install is the issue? My building partner doesn't care for the new vapour barrier stuff, most siding installs punch it full of holes anyway and our warranty company rep actually prefers us to use shingled building paper, which we do.

I'm not a builder but we have done 6 or so specs over the years and we have it installed on our personal homes and a number of additions and rental renos and honestly none of the issues reported here.

o

Hi all. I'm glad (sort of) that I'm not the only one experiencing catastrophic failure of Hardie (peels like a banana) Plank. I live in Eastern Canada and my plank was installed by a professional builder. My prefinished plank is peeling everywhere...I've never seen anything uglier. It is especially bad where snow/moisture accumulates (bottom of structure, planks that span the tops of windows and doors) but there is no where on the house where it isn't peeling to some degree. You can see the peeling areas from 50 feet away! I'm starting the warranty claim process now and will keep you informed. I used the prefinished planks (blue). Never Again!

o

Nera....We're north of San Antonio, so we know of the protracted winter you're talking about. Thx for the compliment, I designed the house myself. It has an open plan, has the master BR downstairs, two more bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs. Upstairs is totally isolated from downstairs, separate HVAC, door at the top of the stairs, so I rarely heat and cool upstairs, so my electric normally runs like $60, in the summer it hit $130 once. and that ain't bad for Texas!

o

We're also having the same problems. We bought the primed siding and are experiencing peeling and bubbling paint, and the trim boards seem to be disintegrating for no reason. When Hardie payed for the replacement boards, did they also pay to have them installed? Has anyone had any success with hiring an attorney as of recently? Is there anything going on with a class action suit? A Hardie rep will be inspecting our siding soon....I'll let you know how we make out.

o

Wallpaperdiva: Sorry to hear you are having trouble too.. What region do you live in?? I too am expecting a visit from a Hardie rep and I'll keep you updated as well... from what's already been written I can already guess what he/she is going to say! I am also interested in a class action suit if it comes down to that..

o

Do not use hardie in snowy areas. We live in the colorado rockies and were sold on how great hardie sounded. With the hardie warranty on the product and the contractor warranty on the labor it seemed a no brainer. But not 3 winters later the siding is rotting off the building and neither party assumes responsibility for damage. It seems that areas affected are where snow and ice pile up against siding. If it cant stand up to the elements, it shouldn't be sold in this environment. We'll be talking to a construction lawyer and I'll let you know how it goes.

o

can any of you experiencing these problems post pictures? Thanks.

o

eeek, this thread makes me nervous! We got a reasonable quote for Hardiplank (the same as vinyl from other installers) and i thought we'd made up our mind but we live in central Illinois and if we get anything it's cold and wet and snow! I'm really nervous about usuing this product, but there just doesn't seem another appealing option!

o

Enigmaquandry, I'm in central IL and have cement fiber siding without issues. There has been several houses in our neighborhood with cf and no issues. As your probably aware, CF is not too popular in the midwest yet, but it is popular in other northern regions. It is very popular in the New England region and I suspect they have more winter challenges than central IL. If your worried just take alot of pictures during installation and keep copies of the batch/lot of siding used. Take lots of notes on everything. I'm sure any manufacturer will be more responsive if they feel your case is well documented (case ready) versus someone who just complains with little info about the specifics of the job.

o

Nervous too, but what are the other options?

Wood- possibility of termites/bugs/cracking/splitting/rotting/warping/staining every couple years. No thanks.

Vinyl- um no.

Brick - won't look good on our cottage style.

o

Check into the Nichiha cement siding. Some posters have had great results with this brand. At this time this brand does not seem to have the reported peeling problems that some of the others have. I believe Nichiha fabrication process or ingredient content is a bit different than the other cement brands. Not totally sure, but check this out it might be a better choice for your location.

Search this site under cement siding or Nichiha and you should find some old threads. Some of the threads have progress pictures of builds and finished pictures. This might give you an idea if you are interested. You can also contact some of the posters for information.
Good luck to you.

Below is a link to Nichiha site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nichiha USA, Inc.

o

Will try to post some photos...I'm just on dial up so not sure how that will go. Photos are not pretty ones! Sent in my warranty claim along with extensive photos over 6 weeks ago.. nothing yet from Hardie.

o

Hardie Plank doing a site visit mid Sept (2010). Will relay their thoughts along to you..

o

The supplier of the James Hardie siding that we installed sent the boards to Weiss to be stained (which we had no knowledge of). The boards are peeling now in many places, and Weiss is gone. Any help? Is supplier liable? Hardie?

o

Arrived at our one year old ski home yesterday. Started shovelling out the entryway at our lower level and discovered that the Hardie Plank is peeling and bubbling. Since the snow is 4 feet deep I assume we have the problem all around the exterior. Will have to wait until the June thaw to find out how bad the problem is.

o

I live on the Western Bay in Trenton, Maine and specified Hardi Board siding when we bought and remodeled our "Money Pit" in 2007. The shingled siding seems to be holding up prety well but the yellow plank siding is experiencing peeling in most areas. I might understand the sides directly facing the water and winds but the other sides not directly in the line of fire are also peeling.

Since I rent the home during the summers I am not here to fight with a sales/factory rep (from all that I am reading, this would be an exercise in futility) and need to address this situation when I return in the Fall.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best option on repainting? Should I scrape the peeling paint off, repaint with KILZ and then paint on a top coat of color? Would one of the Behr products with the primer incorporated in the color do the job?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

o

From what I know about these kinds of problems, the cause of the peeling paint is likely to be the fact that it is absorbing moisture from somewhere. The boards absorb water, then the freeze/thaw cycle breaks the bond between the material and the paint. It's made of cement, but it still absorbs water. The moisture could be coming from the inside of the building or it could be getting wicked up from water that splashes up, ice dams or piles of snow. I would think that the solution would be to solve that absorbtion problem. I dont think that the solution will involve finding the right paint product. I dont think paint is going to solve this problem. Ours will be 3 years old this summer, and knock on wood, no peeling.

o

My home in Northern Illinois was professionally sided with factory primed and Cabot-stained Hardie Plank in 2001. Clearly, I made a big mistake. Anywhere the siding comes in contact with ice or snow the finish blisters and peels eventually. It looks awful. Every year I have to reseal and paint over spots. James Hardie cannot possibly be financially responsible for the mess they have caused among so many homeowners and still stay solvent. I was practically enraged to see their postcard ads showing up in mailboxes in our community the past few weeks. Hardie Plank should not be used routinely on homes in Northern Illinois.

o

I am looking at a house to buy. It had hardie board installed in 09. It is peeling where snow collects above windows. Not only is the paint peeled there, but the board looks like it has taken on water and expanded. This house is in the mountains outside of Bozeman Montana. After reading these posting, I'm going to keep looking.

o

I am currently in the early stages of contracting with a builder in central Ohio who uses only Hardiplank for siding. I am very concerned about the issues that you folks have raised but I also went to the Hardiplank website and found out that Hardi is now saying that they have developed the siding to take into account for the different climates. Has anyone used the HZ5 siding and is it holding up or is this new product too new to know at this point? Thanks.

o

Mine went up 4 years ago. No problem yet.

o

The City of Sydney, NS, Canada, promoted many downtown buildings to use cement board siding.
Many business had it put on their buildings.
I heard that it was mostly "Hardie" siding that was used.
After about 3 years, you could walk past these buildings and see pealing paint on the majority of these buildings.
They mostly used the prepainted board.
Every colour seamed to be affected.
I now hear that that siding is no longer sold in this area.

o

I just did a short walk and survey of the plank composite siding, in Sydney, NS, Canada.
It was not as bad as I had pictured.
7 buildings seamed good at this point.
11 buildings had various degrees of peeling, and obvious patch painting.
One building in yellow color had some serious delaminating. The remaining yellow paint looked like shreds.

I think the sidings ages, varied between 2 and 5 years.

o

I'm reading these posts and getting sick to my stomach.

We're in the final stages of building in southern Indiana. And, as you may have guessed, we're having hardie trim and siding put on the house. We wanted brick, but too expensive. Can't stand vinyl (warps, sags, discolors, looks cheap) so we figured Hardie was the way to go. Now after reading these posts, I am in shock.

The installer did it wrong on a portion of the house, so I complained to the builder (I knew something was off) and had him read the installation instructions. They were simply screwing it to the house which is a big no-no according to Hardie. (You're supposed to use plastic clips on the back of the trim and then nail them into the house instead, the whole concept of Hardie is to not have any of the surfaces showing a nail or screw at all.) As well, they were mitre cutting the corners of the windows instead of a butt joint which is clearly shown on the instructions. The builder said "They said they're doing it right, so..." and I told him No, they're not at all, it has to be re-done, look at the PDF and make them study it! So, off it comes on one side of the house. Thank God it was the only side done so far and only three boards up, or there would have been a ton of waste.

My confidence in their installation prowess is extremely low and after reading this thread, even lower. These are typical billy-bob construction workers, not a lot of concern or care shown so far and this is just scratching the surface of how badly they've messed up so far. The builder has already eaten a lot of mistakes and will probably lose money on this job. I wonder what this is going to look like in a few years? I dare not tell my spouse about this thread, I'm afraid to even face that music after all we've been through.

I wonder what a world which has good products and careful carpenters looks like? Is that somewhere in heaven after we all die? :-)

o

My Hardie siding has been up for about 4 years with no signs of problems. Actually my cedar trim is in need of re-staining but the hardie is fine. I think an important detail is for the installer tokeep a space between teh bottom course of trim and any roofline or other surface that is likely to hold water. I think that some of teh earlier problems were a result of that bottom course staying wet and peeling.

o

I live in Southwest WI and had a professional contractor install prefinished (upgraded two coat warranty) Hardie siding in the spring of '08 on our new home. After the first full season I noticed paint pealing and cracking in several areas and brought it to the suppliers attention. I have had a Hardie rep as well as a PPG rep visit in '10 and '11. They simply push the blame on each other or the contractor. It is now 2012 and what started out as a beautiful Cedar colored country home now looks touched up, faded and 25 years old. I should have used real wood as then I would have expected the maintanance that I have now. Better yet, after all the extra labor the plank installation calls for, I could have bricked it! Don't use Hardie......do your research.....not too difficult to find a lot of problems online.

o

I am in Massachusetts and having similar problems. When we built this house in 2005/2006 we chose Hardie because we didn't want the maintenance. Between the product, installation, and painting, we paid over $20,000 (it's a 12 room house with a 5 car garage). The installer was recommended to us by the lumber company where we bought the materials. It was pre-primed and we had it painted a custom color. Within a year it started bubbling and peeling along our deck and a few random spots higher up. We called the painter, who sent the mfr rep out and they said it was happening because the snow was building up against the siding. I then asked why it was happening 15 feet in the air where no other boards were peeling around it and no snow could reach. I finally contacted Hardie under the warranty as it began to delaminate and after every rain storm we would find pieces of our siding peels in the yard. The house looks like it has mange and it's disgusting. They sent a rep from OH out to look at it and the report I got said improper installation, incorrect flashing, no gaps near the deck, and also lack of gutters. Hardie has offered to have 1800 sf of the house re-sided by their people and 'preventative' measures taken such as flashing. However they said they won't' cover painting to match because it wasn't their error. They said they are fixing it to help me out. My uncle (a retired contractor) said there will likely be a class action at some point because this is a common story in cold climates I see. After they do the work, I will be pursuing the installer in small claims court for the cost to repaint the house ($6k) as I don't' feel I should have to. Have more pics if anyone is interested.

o

How awful. These warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on. We had problems with our Certainteed fiber cement siding cracking in places. The company replaced the siding but not the labor. We ended up caulking and painting the cracks because the labor was going to be so intensive. Still have the siding in storage. So disappointing.

This is why my husband is insisting that the next house will be brick or stone.

o

I started this thread almost five years ago and (knock on wood) no problems yet. Having said that, my previous houses all had vinyl siding and I never had to think about it. Looked fine. It was cheap. No maintenance. If there was ever a problem, it was easy to fix. Sometimes I think we make things too complicated for ourselves. If I ever build a house again, it will have vinyl siding.

o

sometimes it is not is easy as we hope. The neighborhood I built in does not allow vinyl siding...only wood or masonary so I thought this was the best solution too low maintenance exterior.

o

sometimes it is not is easy as we hope. The neighborhood I built in does not allow vinyl siding...only wood or masonary so I thought this was the best solution too low maintenance exterior.

o

I started this thread almost five years ago and (knock on wood) no problems yet. Having said that, my previous houses all had vinyl siding and I never had to think about it. Looked fine. It was cheap. No maintenance. If there was ever a problem, it was easy to fix. Sometimes I think we make things too complicated for ourselves. If I ever build a house again, it will have vinyl siding.

o

My development would have allowed either vinyl or hardie. I know that one neighbor has vinyl because I watched them put it up. The others ... I cant tell. I assume it's hardie but from the street, I would be guessing.

o

TTCLauren - I'm so sorry, that is just awful. Warranties clearly don't mean much of anything any more.

After reading this thread and a few others I was certainly concerned with Hardie Plank. I'm in the planning process for a small cottage build. I mentioned Hardie Plank to my architect saying "I hear HP isn't that great with snow". He snorted a bit and laughed saying it isn't good with precipitation of any kind. Maybe in the desert. He also said he would absolutely never use it in one of his projects.

o

My development would have allowed either vinyl or hardie. I know that one neighbor has vinyl because I watched them put it up. The others ... I cant tell. I assume it's hardie but from the street, I would be guessing.

o

I appreciate all of the comments on this board and am a little frightened now. Getting ready to break ground in the next couple of weeks and we chose Hardie for the siding. I cannot use vinyl or aluminum and brick and stone wouldn't look too good with our design. Our builder has used Hardie on most of his homes over the past 5 years and hasn't mentioned problems. Have they rectified the problem? I'm building in PA. Thanks!

o

actually the contractors that Hardie sent just finished the job last week. Funny, I am in Massachusetts, the Hardy rep flew out from Ohio and the contractors they hired came from New Hampshire. The contractors were awesome. They said they have done this type of warranty repair work for them for about 10 years and that they were great to work with from therir standpoint. My house is now re-sided on a large portion and we will have to paint it next. So, so far I can't complain about them standing behind the warranty other than not covering the cost to repaint. They sent a survey with the contractor for me to fill out about their claims process and the workmen.

o

I'm sorry to hear about the Hardie problems. We've used the pre-primed planks in very wet climates and very cold climates with severe temperature extremes (-35C to +30C). Absolutely never had a problem and will use it again in the future.

o

We live in zone 3, and our builder cautioned us about Hardie. Said he had had numerous problems with Hardie and the company did not stand behind their product. He strongly suggested we use SmartSide, but I didn't like the colors they had at the time, thought it was too shiny, the seams showed too much, and I wasn't sure about painting it. We ended up using Certainteed Impressions polymer siding. I had vowed I would never have vinyl siding, but really like this stuff. Any product will have positive and negative reports, and of course the negatives always get more publicity.

Attached is a 2009 Consumer Reports article on this product as compared to Hardie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why Polymer Shakes siding - Consumer Reports Liked It

o

I too have issues with Hardie board siding. I live in RI on the water with the back of my house facing east. In spring 2007, I had factory pre-painted HB siding installed by a roofing and siding contractor then painted a darker custom BM color by a professional house painter. After 3 years the paint has faded terribly in streaks and blotches on all sides but primarily on the back of the house (water side). I have had the BM regional rep out to look at the paint and he claims he’s never seen anything like it but if he were to guess it appeared to be an issue with the HB possibly absorbing moisture. I don’t understand why that would affect the paint fading on the boards.
He suggested I contact the regional HB Rep to come out and look at the issue. I am in the process of doing that. After reading this blog, however, I now know what to expect (he will most likely blame it on the installer/contractor!).
I am posting some pictures of the fading which is more of an issue than pealing at this point. Any thoughts on why the paint should have faded so badly? Also, I would be very interested in joining a class action suit.

o

Additional Image from MMBRI

o

Are those two vertical faded areas aligned with your studs (probably 18" apart) or are they aligned with the vertical parts of your window? If the faded area is appearing every 18" where you have a stud underneath that would seem to indicate a problem from within. If it is fading in places where water is running down the boards, that would seem to indicate a problem from the outside. I am no expert, just my thought.

My Hardy is almost 5 yrs old and no problem yet.

o

The worst of the fading is under the vertical white framing of the windows, however, the fading is also in areas where there are no windows.

o

Does it look like it's peeling in areas where water frequently runs down the siding? If so, that would make me think that it's more likely to be a paint problem.

o

It is not really pealing just terrible fading and some separation of the boards at the seams which appear to be shrinkage. Under the windows it almost looks like the white paint on the trim has run down the painted HB under windows, however, it is definitely faded not stained by white paint. Would water behind the HB cause the paint to fade? Thanks for your thoughts.

o

" Under the windows it almost looks like the white paint on the trim has run down the painted HB under windows"

You used chalking paint on the trim.

Wile ti keeps the trim looking 'newer' it also leaves stains below.

'Non chalking' paint greatly limits the problem.

You should see the mess chalking paint makes when used on the siding above a brick surface.

o

I live in Minnesota and my factory painted HardiePlank has peeled and molded in a corner of the deck. I went through all of the hoops that Hardie mandates for warranty claims and never heard a word back from them. Even so, if you read the warranty, they are only on the hook to replace the defective boards. A lot of good that will do me as the boards are in the lower corner of the deck and the 2 sides where they come together would basically all need to be removed and replaced. Attempts to repaint with Hardie recommended paint have similarly failed.

Yes, some of you haven't had problems. Good for you! That doesn't mean that Hardie is making a consistently good product, nor that they stand be their product. It only means you were lucky.

Every time I see a sign toting Hardie's warranty I want to scream "WORSE THAN WORTHLESS".

o

Hi
I installed the refinished Hardie plank in Ireland in 07, It has started to peel away at the bottom of some planks.
A build up algae has also started, should I put in a claim or am I wasting my time?

Many thanks in advance.

o

Hi
I installed the refinished Hardie plank in Ireland in 07, It has started to peel away at the bottom of some planks.
A build up algae has also started, should I put in a claim or am I wasting my time?

Many thanks in advance.

o

I dont have any experience with claims but I would be curious to see pictures of your problem. I would think that algae would mean that the boards are getting wet and staying wet. That might explain the peeling.

o

Hi

Many thanks in advance.

o

Hi

Many thanks in advance.

o

Know nothing about your siding issues without more info from you as previously asked but you are wasting our by posting the exact same question repeatedly!

This post was edited by millworkman on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 19:30

o

To answer your question PotNoodle ... "Yes" and "probably yes."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here