Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Alternatives to ugly metal thresholds for exterior doors?

threeapples
11 years ago

I don't know what other options are, but don't want those cheap looking metal thresholds for my exterior doors. What else is there? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Not much available except different metals but what kind of doors and frames and these thresholds going to be used on?

• Naf_Naf
    11 years ago

A high quality door probably will not come with a cheap looking thres-hold.
    There are aluminum, bronze or stainless steel thres-holds and they come in a few different colors, too.
    If you want your home to be accessible, maybe you can look for "low profile" thres-holds.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

naf naf, what do you mean by wanting the home to be accesible?

the door guy is suggesting aluminum thresholds with a bronze finish. this doesn't sound very appealing. i inquired about bronze and that's what he responded with. any thoughts?

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Our front and friends porch doors have wood thresholds that match the doors (walnut). Pretty but not sure how practical they are. We have bronze thresholds on the others. A friend who did unlacquered brass did brass thresholds. They look much better than the bronze, at least on her light colored painted brick house (and would have looked better on ours as well). The upside of the bronze is that they don't show dirt. I wouldn't mind them on a red brick house. They are a little obvious on our cream painted house but they are only on the garage door and french doors across the back.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The thresholds on our exterior doors which are on 1835 to 1845 ish buildings are brass or bronze. I think they are original because of the way they are fitted to the vestbule floors which are terazzo or marble tesserae.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

is it possible to order brass thresholds online and have them look and function as if they were made for the doorway?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I have installed a good number of bronze thresholds on old houses, which is what they are for; you need a wooden or stone sill under them (I guess concrete would be acceptable). They are tricky to cut, as they need to be notched around the sides of the jambs which have the door rabbet cut into them, and you're dealing with a $300 chunk of thick brass, and that's one mis-cut away from scrap. ouch.
    Casey

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sombreuil, do you think then that it's not a good idea to attempt this?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Are the doors in yet? If not speak to the manufacturer and have it added to the door as the frame is being put together makes having to retro fit go away.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Ours were ordered with the doors like millworkman suggests

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

It's going to be easier if
    1) the jamb was ordered with a plain hardwood sill. or 2) if the jambs are being site-built.
    To switch from a prehung unit with a standard metal threshold to a solid bronze one will require a very talented carpenter, as it is quite a modification. And the door is going to need trimming in all likelihood.
    Casey

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ok, i'll pass this along to the door guy. he says they can't get brass thresholds! i'm so tired of people not understanding my point of view for this house.
    sorry to complain.