Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternatives to ugly metal thresholds for exterior doors?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 15:27

I don't know what other options are, but don't want those cheap looking metal thresholds for my exterior doors. What else is there? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternatives to ugly metal thresholds for exterior doors?

Not much available except different metals but what kind of doors and frames and these thresholds going to be used on?

o

A high quality door probably will not come with a cheap looking thres-hold.
There are aluminum, bronze or stainless steel thres-holds and they come in a few different colors, too.
If you want your home to be accessible, maybe you can look for "low profile" thres-holds.

o

Bronze thresholds are still available at $75/ft. material.
Casey

o

naf naf, what do you mean by wanting the home to be accesible?

the door guy is suggesting aluminum thresholds with a bronze finish. this doesn't sound very appealing. i inquired about bronze and that's what he responded with. any thoughts?

o

Our front and friends porch doors have wood thresholds that match the doors (walnut). Pretty but not sure how practical they are. We have bronze thresholds on the others. A friend who did unlacquered brass did brass thresholds. They look much better than the bronze, at least on her light colored painted brick house (and would have looked better on ours as well). The upside of the bronze is that they don't show dirt. I wouldn't mind them on a red brick house. They are a little obvious on our cream painted house but they are only on the garage door and french doors across the back.

o

The thresholds on our exterior doors which are on 1835 to 1845 ish buildings are brass or bronze. I think they are original because of the way they are fitted to the vestbule floors which are terazzo or marble tesserae.

o

is it possible to order brass thresholds online and have them look and function as if they were made for the doorway?

o

I have installed a good number of bronze thresholds on old houses, which is what they are for; you need a wooden or stone sill under them (I guess concrete would be acceptable). They are tricky to cut, as they need to be notched around the sides of the jambs which have the door rabbet cut into them, and you're dealing with a $300 chunk of thick brass, and that's one mis-cut away from scrap. ouch.
Casey

o

sombreuil, do you think then that it's not a good idea to attempt this?

o

Are the doors in yet? If not speak to the manufacturer and have it added to the door as the frame is being put together makes having to retro fit go away.

o

Ours were ordered with the doors like millworkman suggests

o

It's going to be easier if
1) the jamb was ordered with a plain hardwood sill. or 2) if the jambs are being site-built.
To switch from a prehung unit with a standard metal threshold to a solid bronze one will require a very talented carpenter, as it is quite a modification. And the door is going to need trimming in all likelihood.
Casey

o

ok, i'll pass this along to the door guy. he says they can't get brass thresholds! i'm so tired of people not understanding my point of view for this house.
sorry to complain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here