Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Builders/architects please help us design exterior steps!

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are trying to design the front porch and steps leading to our door. We live in Ontario, Canada, so winters involve a fair bit of snow. Before our addition we had pre-cast concrete steps that had 5 steps and a sheltered landing. This hollow stoop/step combo sat on two horizontal support brackets that were bolted to the interior of our foundation wall (see 2nd picture below). We are planning to replace this with poured concrete risers, combined with bluestone treads and porch.

We have had different opinions on how best to implement this. Option #1, the more expensive option, is to dig and pour a footing, and put foundation walls on footing to support the stoop/step combo. The foundation walls could be poured or concrete block. There would then be a poured concrete porch and steps over these supports. This might also entail removing some brick and replacing with concrete block, as the foundation walls are extremely short in this area.

Option #2, the less expensive option, is to forgo any foundation or footing, and use the existing horizontal support brackets. Then, we could simply build a wood structure on top of the brackets to support the poured porch and steps. With this method there would be a membrane in between the brick wall and steps. This option was described as the contractor building his own, more attractive, set of hollow, precast concrete steps.

Option #2 would be less than half the price, but are there significant downsides to this, long-term? If so, what are they? Thank you in advance for any tips or suggestions you might provide!

Carol

Comments (6)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I would avoid stone on concrete and build with large granite pieces resting on the most efficient foundation.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Renovator8

Thanks for your response! I hope you will come back and clarify a few points:

If we are to avoid bluestone on concrete, what would you suggest for risers to support the bluestone? Or is the combo just not workable and will we need another plan (if so what)?

When you commented "resting on the most efficient foundation" can you please elaborate on what the most efficient foundation is?

Thanks!!!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator, Is this what you mean by large granite steps? That would be lovely, but likely twice the price as poured concrete steps. We have those steps in our backyard, but there are only three steps there.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: possible granite steps

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again,

I think we have our step plan. Thanks to your words Renovator, we went to look at natural stone steps again. Because our entrance is recessed, we can get away with fewer steps than if all the sides were visible keeping the cost within reason. Our plan is to pour a footing, build concrete block walls for the porch landing and step stringers, top with a stone slab landing/porch and four matching thick stone steps. We will parge on the one side that is visible over the concrete block. We will also put a membrane between the brick and stones (not sure what the membrane will be; some have said rigid insulation) to protect the brick.

Does this plan make sense? Also, how do we install the mandatory railings? I assume they can't go through the stones, so what else is an option. Do we install one side into the brick wall? Not sure about the other. Any comments welcome.

Carol

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Well done.

A powder-coated steel tube railing could be mounted on the brick wall or it could turn down into a grouted hole in the stone or into a concrete footing beyond the stone. You would only need one railing if it is a single-family residence and there is no unprotected drop off higher than 20" or so depending on the code.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your thumbs up Renovator. I am glad to know we might only need one railing. I like your idea of putting one on the bottom of the railing in the concrete footing. We may have to do a grouted hole for the top of the railing.

We are doing glass and aluminum rails for the deck over the garage, but likely just aluminum ones without glass for the steps. We will choose a dark brown colour to complement the door. Do you think if our railings around the deck are glass, the ones leading up from the steps should be glass as well?

Thanks,

Carol