Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2samlibby

Tile Job

mom2samlibby
9 years ago

Does this tile job look acceptable? I'm not happy with it, but don't know if I'm just being very picky as time continues to creep along with our build or if it acceptable for the size/type of tile.

I'm not sure if the photos show this well, but you can see every 12" where the tile was not matched up well.

And this one makes me scratch my head, too. Son's bathroom. (bottom row)

Comments (17)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Your son's looks like the tile sheet wasn't tall enough so they added another row piece by piece.

The top tile is very strange. It doesn't look evenly placed like the tile in your son's room. These are both sheets right?

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Looks like that tiler never laid mosaic tiles before. I would not accept it if it was in my house

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MFatt16 -- the sheets were 12" x 12". The row is only 5", if I remember correctly.

It's starting to scare me, because they are supposed to do herringbone in our master shower!!! ACK!

Our daughter's bathroom was also 12" x 12" sheets. Her deco tile is only 3" to line up with the subway tile.

This post was edited by neroselover on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 15:34

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Yeah, I am lost on how they turned out like that. Perhaps they didn't know how to work with the material but either way they should have figured it out or expressed that to the GC. I think a redo is in order.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Were the pink tiles that bad on the sheets before they were installed?

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dekeoboe -- I don't think so, but I can go look tonight at the job site. We have two full sheets left to do a backsplash on her sink.

On the 2nd photo I posted, the mishmash of tiles that doesn't line up very well is where one 12" section ended and the next one began. It is like that every 12".

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is her tile. It looks like some of the crookedness is justified, but I don't like the match job every 12".

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink tile

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I agree. The crooked tiles you can't blame on them (for the pink tile). That is a function of the poor manufacturing of the sheets. However, they should have got the spacing between sheets, left to right, correct so you can't see the "vertical lines".

Good luck.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I'm not seeing a difference every 12", but I am not there and that doesn't always show as well in photos. In some places, I can see the line, but it looks like in order for the spacing to be consistent, some of the tiles would overlap. Not sure if that makes sense to you. When you check out the tiles you have left, see what happens when you place them side by side. Can you get them so that you can't tell one sheet from the next?

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you can get them to line up with the two sheets we have left. I'll go take a picture tonight.

I wish it were easier to get a picture of the tile. I'll try again tonight. On the first picture, you can see the first match up above the complete subway tile. Two full subways later is another match up spot.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

I can see the match up, but it doesn't always appear to extend to the very top and/or very bottom line of tiles. That's why I asked.

• reveriereptile
    9 years ago

When I first glanced at the pink tile photos I couldn't believe how off they were but after looking at the link that is the way they are suppose to look. I do see to much white inbetween the sheets. It looks like they needed them over just a tad bit more for even spacing.
    Your sons tile does look really good till that bottom row. Did the sheets somehow get bent on one side?
    I wouldn't have them do anymore work. Tile isn't something easy to fix and bad jobs are noticeable. It might be cause I have a bit of OCD but I would keep staring at that every time I walked into the bathroom. You're the one that is living there and has to see it everyday so it is your choice to either allow them to do more work or find someone else.

• mom2samlibby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm. . . I hadn't noticed how crooked the bottom row of my son's were until you all pointed that out. My big issue was the tile that was placed on there backwards. The paper backing is showing and not the tile part.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Oops, too many cooks in the kitchen I suppose. Let us know what happens with the repairs.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

What you see on the pink tile is where the ends of the sheet were not hand-adjusted to counteract the tendency to show a visible repeat gap.

To do this you either trim back the mesh or remove and hand-set some tiles to break up the gap. It's a PITA to do and unless you specified that the gap be hand adjusted, you probably are going to have to live with it.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I noticed the one backward tile!! Only because I'm in the middle of getting my master bath remodeled and I have some glass tiles that also have the white backing. How could they not notice?

The pink tile would bother me. The tile company doing my remodel came highly recommended, but I noticed that the guys don't install exactly as the instructions recommend. I'm using quite a bit of Oceanside glass tile. Luckily I'm able to be home while they work, so I check the work as they progress and ask about any areas that don't look right. They fix it or explain why it is that way.

• pamghatten
    9 years ago

Both of those would really bother me ... I put in glass tile on sheets, and they don't look anything like that ...