Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordering plumbing fixtures from FaucetDirect

Posted by micki62 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 15:03

We are still in the bid phase so have not signed any contracts with builders. One builder has been really great about having me choose finishes in advance so he can get his bid as accurate as possible. But now I find that the quote from the plumbing warehouse is very high. Yes, I know it's my fault for choosing such pricey stuff but I want to see if I can get better prices from Faucet Direct online. I recognize the brands on the site and the prices seem to be better. Maybe not a lot better on individual items but the savings adds up. My mother ordered a faucet from them and was pleased with the product and delivery. Are the products equal in quality from a company like that? I live in a small city without many local retail options and the builder doesn't seem bothered by me saying I want to purchase some things myself rather than through him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordering plumbing fixtures from FaucetDirect

At least with American Standard, where a friend of mine worked, as long as the item # is the same, the product is the same. The SKU can be different for the same product at different retailers. Basically, the online faucet is the same as the one HomeDepot, Lowe's and Fergussun's have. Don't let anyone tell you different. Maybe Kohler and Pfister do something different, but if you like something you see at a local retailer, check to see if you can beat the price online. As long as you have lead time, online is the way to go.

Brian

o

Micki-if you are doing a whole house do on line chat (with the items in your cart) and in my experience they will give you a small percentage off of your order as well. I bought from both faucet and lighting direct with good experience. We didn't go through the plumber for any fixtures except the shower trim kit/valves.

o

We bought towel bars from them and if I remember correctly saved about 15 to 20 percent from the price in the store, plus they had some that the store didn't have. I had a good experience with them on that, but I've never ordered actual plumbing fixtures.

This post was edited by NotBobTheBuilder on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 21:09

o

ditto what Brian said.

o

I ordered a house load of faucets, lighting fixtures, door knobs and vent fans from Build.com (FaucetDirect.com's parent). They were shipped promptly and a great value. This was back in 2009/10. My contractor at the time had no issue with me ordering these products in this way.

Fast forward to our current project. The high end builders we've been talking to have been very negative about owner-supplied items and internet retailers. I can understand why - ordering something as complex as all your plumbing components is not for the faint of heart. Their local supplier offers the following benefits:
- they should be taking a very high level overview from you (color, other features) and applying it across the board to fixtures. e.g. if you're going for polished nickel in your bathroom they will make sure all the components are ordered appropriately. With FD.com you have to do this yourself.
- they know all the right accessory pieces & valves. Some faucets are complicated and it's not as simple as ordering a single SKU. There may be a required valve. FD.com's UI does a good job of letting you know when you need to do this but the differences between the valves are not always clear. e.g. some valves are intended for copper supply lines and some for PEX. You need to read the spec sheets to determine the right one for you.
- they offer generous and convenient return policies for items either incorrect or when you change your mind. Online e-tailers may vary. I will note we received a damaged bathtub from FD.com and had no trouble returning it - since it was delivered via freight they simply arranged for freight to pick it up. I'm not sure what their smaller item return policy is like (e.g. whether or not you have to pay for return postage).

These are the claims the builders make, but our current builder acknowledged that if we wanted to do the effort of ordering & handle when there were mistakes, they'd be fine with us using FD.com so that's what we did.

With all of that said if you have the time and enthusiasm to do the research you will save a bundle by using FD.com. Their customer support is very good and hyper-responsive via email. If you're thinking of ordering a whole house load of stuff from them you should reach out to them via email before ordering to see if there are any additional incentives not shown on their website. I've done this several times and always manage to beat their advertised price a bit more.

o

I ordered all of my plumbing fixtures and accessories (four bathrooms, kitchen and kitchenette) from Build.com as well as many of my light fixtures and all of my door hardware -- I had a great experience with them. I had a few hiccups (ordering the wrong stuff and figuring it out months later, damaged kitchen sink -- twice!). Build was great about exchanging out the wrong items and replaced the kitchen sink (they paid the return ship on the first one, and told me just to toss the second one.)

My order was freight shipped to my builder who indicated that the items came from the same warehouse that the local plumbing supply stores items come from.

They also gave me an additional 5% discount on my largest order.

o

our builder uses efaucets.com for most of his plumbing products
delta and moen are the only brands he uses
we looked at their albert and victoria tubs and found them to have good prices but we did purchase our tub elsewhere

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here