Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to stay off floors after polyeurothane?

Posted by southernmum (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:43

(Sorry, not sure how to spell it!) My builder is putting on the last coat of poly. on our hardwoods tomorrow, and then we close on house on Wed. How long do floors have to dry/cure before we can safely move furniture on floors?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to stay off floors after polyeurothane?

What did the builder recommend?
It varies depending on what was used.

o

He says it dries overnight, but that doesn't sound right to me. I don't want problems down the road, but we're currently living in hotel (and have been for 22 days!) so we're anxious to get in house. Still, I'd rather stay in hotel another few days and make sure floors cure properly than have problems in the future.

o

If you have pets be careful. Some polyurethanes can out-gas for along time at a level that can be toxic to cats and dogs and other pets, especially at floor level. Fans and good ventilation will help.

You can request ( in fact the law allows you to demand it) a Material Safety Data Sheet, aka MSDS, from the contractor or sometimes find it online. It will list any harmful chemicals.

o

Oops duplicate post. Wish GW would fix this.

This post was edited by -henry on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 16:18

o

I waited a week before walking on my stairs. Even then, gentle use is my suggestion.

o

We were not even allowed to enter our house for 4 days after they did the final coat of Glitsa on our floors.

o

5-10 days, depending on products used and how many coats were applied. Sometimes several coats applied close together have a much harder time curing than if there was a longer time in between the coats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here